BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We created the 4 best chances of the game and missed them all. 

None of them were what I’d call a tap in. Gallagher’s should have been but the two Dack fluffed would have been great goals if they had have gone in. The keeper was on top of Hedges pretty quickly. The best chance in the game was their fourth goal.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

• 2 weeks later...

Looked a frustrated figure last night - firmly distanced himself from the transfer situation. Understandably if the club has failed to land the targets he wanted.

In my view, he has done a solid job so far. Extremely inconsistent but we are top 6 and into the 5th round. Easy to criticize and he cant be immune to it (Burnley, Preston games etc...) but he and the team are currently exceeding my pre-season expectations.  

He is clearly an ambitious manager, which can only be a good thing for Rovers. Let's see where we get to this season and enjoy the ride.

• Like 9

On 01/02/2023 at 09:29, Trinidad Rover said:

Looked a frustrated figure last night

I wonder how he's feeling now.

You can imagine the discussions after Tuesday night.

[Insert a wally of your choice here]: "OK, Jon, so we had a bit of a hiccup, but we're arrogant confident it'll get sorted out."

JDT: "OK. I'm not too impressed, if I can say it in that way, but OK. Let's hope the deal happens. We shouldn't waste a window."

I can see this window being a good example for JDT of the lack of tools he'll be given for the job of Rovers becoming a sustainable Premier League club. Son, save yourself the pain and get out while you're flying high.

• Like 1

It does feel like JDT "pulling a Lambert" is possible. Nothing explicit yet, but all the pre-conditions are there. 

He's got a pretty good story if he walks "I got Rovers to third but the dysfunction of the club meant I could see there was no real long term ambition. I am looking for a club who has that ambition."

Hopefully won't happen, but feels plausible.

• Like 2

I can't see many managers sticking with the club, apart from your bottom of the barrel appointments. So I can't see him staying. This is not a professional club and hasn't been since Venkys started their kicking of it.

Edited by booth
  • Like 5

Whatever people may think of JDT and our overall performance levels this season, he can point out that he's had us comfortably in the top 6 (mainly top 3) for most of the season. He'd rightly then expect to be backed going into January and with the team needing strengthening in a couple of key areas. 

What he gets is one player on loan and then the O'Brien embarrassment. 

Yep, anything can happen now then it'd be back to desperate managers on the scrapheap being the only ones that'll be prepared to put up with how badly we're run.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Those b@stards in pune will probably lineup Peter Reid Judan Ali as his replacement

Tomasson is our "Paul Lambert" seemingly intelligent appointment by Venkys. You know what came after Lambert 😳

• Like 2

Not the revelation we at first thought he'd be though is he after  appearing to energise the club and getting great results early on?

Which players have actually improved under him?

I can think of 3 who've gone backwards---Travis,Buckley and Wharton.   

Arguably a fourth in Kaminski though I accept that might be temporary and Pears has improved.

Our style of play, poor selections and players in the wrong positions make me wonder at times if he's Mowbray's love child!

Don't want him gone by the way, has been badly let down by the transfer window fiasco. Difficult job for anyone now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Not the revelation we at first thought he'd be though is he after  appearing to energise the club and getting great results early on?

Which players have actually improved under him?

I can think of 3 who've gone backwards---Travis,Buckley and Wharton.   

Arguably a fourth in Kaminski though I accept that might be temporary and Pears has improved.

Our style of play, poor selections and players in the wrong positions make me wonder at times if he's Mowbray's love child!

Don't want him gone by the way, has been badly let down by the transfer window fiasco. Difficult job for anyone now.

I mentioned something similar the other day. How many players have we seen any discernible improvement in? But to counter that I can't think think of many who look comfortable in the style that Tomasson has generally wanted us to play is a progressive, passing game. There have been glimpses in games but by and large I would say none.

I would say that the team has improved but is suffering from not taking chances and feeling the pressure of that.

individual players is hard to judge as the same bunch blew hot and cold last season as well. Up until recently a case could be made for the defensive improvement and our effectiveness in taking chances. SG, BB, JV and possibly Dolan/Hedges need to wake up and hopefully Thomas can be a catalyst whilst giving Dack help.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Travis and Wharton, certainly. However, Buckley’s dip had started last season.

It had, but I think the main thing this season is playing him further back. A more sensible choice would have been to spend the Szmodics money on a partner for Travis and have Buckley as an option further forward. 

That would have blocked the pathways though, unlike a loanee who plays every game and the attempted signing of arguably the best midfielder in the division last season on loan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It had, but I think the main thing this season is playing him further back. A more sensible choice would have been to spend the Szmodics money on a partner for Travis and have Buckley as an option further forward. 

That would have blocked the pathways though, unlike a loanee who plays every game and the attempted signing of arguably the best midfielder in the division last season on loan.

I think Buckley’s best position is further forward.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think Buckley’s best position is further forward.

Agreed. In the summer a conscious decision was seemingly made that Buckley would successfully transition from an attacking midfielder to a holding midfielder and with Rothwell leaving, another attacking midfielder was brought in.

There was a semblance of reason to that theory but his big strengths last season were winning the ball high up and playing players in on goal, his best spell by far in a Rovers shirt was as a false 9 with Brereton and Khadra either side going beyond him, as much as that form really nosedived once the whole team dipped and we didn't have Brereton fit and scoring goals running in behind.

His main assets are restricted playing so deep and he dawdles on the ball, he takes too long on the turn and lacks the awareness to avoid being pick pocketed.

• Like 1

had it on good authority that jdt is seriously p*****d off with the situation,i fully expect him to see it out to early april then announce he`s off at the end of the season,no manager can work under conditions like he`s doing,he`ll probably resurface somewhere in germany,belgium or holland,i for one would not blame him,i don`t like his team set ups but maybe thats because he has`nt been able to bring in the players he wants

• Like 1