BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v WBA (h) - 14/8/22

• Backroom
3 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Be an interesting barometer of progress under JDT. I do think people are getting a little expectant too early. We have only played 3 competitive matches under JDT - and there is a long way to go.

Interesting nobody complaining about JDT switching formations, tactics etc. And yet TM was tinkerman. I suppose JDT can tinker as long as we win - but that won't go on for ever.

Anyhow, let's hope the bubble isn't burst - would settle for an entertaining draw, with no injuries.

There's tinkering, and there's a clear plan. So far every game has seen a clear plan implemented. After about 5 mins of each half, you can work out what we're doing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Be an interesting barometer of progress under JDT. I do think people are getting a little expectant too early. We have only played 3 competitive matches under JDT - and there is a long way to go.

Interesting nobody complaining about JDT switching formations, tactics etc. And yet TM was tinkerman. I suppose JDT can tinker as long as we win - but that won't go on for ever.

Anyhow, let's hope the bubble isn't burst - would settle for an entertaining draw, with no injuries.

JDT ha changed formations once to protect the lead at Swansea. It worked a treat. Surely good management? Beats putting Gally at wing-back or Dack at false 9 and hoping for the best, but then losing.

Surely you can see the difference?. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

After FIVE years of it we knew the pattern so come on no need for the muck raking.

This league is getting more and more tactical as time goes on and a lot of managers will try changes with varying success. Mowbray was no different but for most of the time there didn't seem to be a clear plan A in the first place and he clearly put what the opposition did -whoever they were- over what we did.

JDT it's too early to tell but there does seem to be a clear foundation in place to build formations etc on. Plus having so many young legs he clearly won't tolerate anything other than high energy and hard work.  Mowbray didn't always have that before last season preferring largely to keep his faith in journeymen and back up squad signings.

However like i said after 5 years it was abundantly clear TM WAS a tinkerman by his own design and i think he'd admit it himself.

• Like 3

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v WBA (h) - 14/8/22
46 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

JDT ha changed formations once to protect the lead at Swansea. It worked a treat. Surely good management? Beats putting Gally at wing-back or Dack at false 9 and hoping for the best, but then losing.

Surely you can see the difference?. 

More like Bradley “no legs” Johnson as the false nine. Total knob, who should have gone after promotion. Then he could have been looked at favourably. He should take his mate Maggot to the North East I’m sure Gibson needs an experienced CEO at Middlesbrough.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

More like Bradley “no legs” Johnson as the false nine. Total knob, who should have gone after promotion. Then he could have been looked at favourably. He should take his mate Maggot to the North East I’m sure Gibson needs an experienced CEO at Middlesbrough.

I'd forgotten about the Bradley Johnson false 9 mindf*ck. I can't imagine there's enough hallucinogen's in the world for JDT to try that. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ItsRoverZ said:

If we lose but give a good account of ourselves and compete very well then I can take it, will show we are around that level

But if we lose convincingly and never really trouble the baggies then it shows how far away we are from that level 

I'm really hoping our good start isn't a small honeymoon period and we are truly turning a corner.

Hope for a win, heart says 2-1 Baggies

1 hour ago, smiller14 said:

I'd probably take a draw. West Brom looked very good so far. Think first goal is absolutely crucial, as much of a cliché that is.

A win and things are looking very rosy ahead of a very winnable game at Reading.

I don't get the attitude of willingly accepting draws in home games, all things considered. Taking a slight loss beggars belief!

We have won our first 2 games (plus the cup game) and everything seems rosy, plenty of confidence, the new manager has already left a good mark on things, no injuries that we know of and we are playing at home.

I am not saying that anything but a win is catastrophic and I appreciate that it won't be easy but it is realistic to expect to have a reasonable chance of winning any home game as a side pushing for the top 6.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, smiller14 said:

I'd probably take a draw. West Brom looked very good so far. Think first goal is absolutely crucial, as much of a cliché that is.

A win and things are looking very rosy ahead of a very winnable game at Reading.

The only absolutely crutial goal, is the winning goal.

It’s one I’m really looking forward to, somebody above mentioned a good barometer to measure JDT’s progress with the squad he has available to him.

I’d prefer to see the same side that beat Swansea, but we’ll be playing a much more positive, high pressing game on Sunday.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us play 5 at the back, with Pickering tucked in and Edun getting up and down the flank.

Would be very surprised to see Gallagher dropped; no other forward in the squad offers the same work ethic.

Heart says 2-1 win, head says draw.

19 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

I agree with much of what's already written on this thread, with the exception that I have friends of the Newcastle persuasion who'd disagree with jim mk 2!

Score on the door? I'm going for a shock, with us only getting a 1-1 draw.

Cancel the above last paragraph!

I share the view of my Geordie pals about Bruce's abilities as a manager; and with the news from WBA's game last night, I'm now more optimistic than I was about Sunday's game.

I'm quietly confident about a 1-0 win, with the goal coming from an opportunistic effort from Dack.

• Like 1

All the pressure should be on W Brom on Sunday. They're the ones who have an established manager with a proven track record at this level, with a large & expensively assembled squad (comparitively) with expectations internally & externally of a top 2 finish. They'll be coming here knowing that they lack firepower & if they lose, they'll be 7 points off top spot already with no wins in 3 matches. They'll also be unsure of what to expect from us due to the radically different approaches we've taken to each match under JDT.

We on the other hand have nothing to lose. We're 2 wins & clean sheets in with a young, light squad that is playing confidently, at pace & without fear for 90 mins. No-one externally expects us to challenge the top 6, and even internally there's an understanding that this season is mainly likely to be a transitional one. So Rovers can just go out & enjoy themselves, put in a disciplined & committed performance & not worry too much about the outcome.

I gonna go for an entertaining 2-1 Rovers win, BBD & Hedges the scorers. 

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't get the attitude of willingly accepting draws in home games, all things considered. Taking a slight loss beggars belief!

We have won our first 2 games (plus the cup game) and everything seems rosy, plenty of confidence, the new manager has already left a good mark on things, no injuries that we know of and we are playing at home.

I am not saying that anything but a win is catastrophic and I appreciate that it won't be easy but it is realistic to expect to have a reasonable chance of winning any home game as a side pushing for the top 6.

I appreciate that, I'd much rather win and hope we approach the game with that mindset, but a draw would be a decent result and would reflect an improvement on last year. I think we have a more than reasonable chance of winning and I know JDT will be going all out for 3 points, although don't think me 'probably taking a draw' is being too defeatist! I'm certainly not suggesting we set up in that way.

And I know the other part was relating to the other quoted post, but I definitely wouldn't take a narrow defeat 😂

53 minutes ago, rigger said:

The only absolutely crutial goal, is the winning goal.

Obviously yes. I just think with the way Bruce sets up the first goal is even more important than normal! We've shown how difficult we are to break down with a lead this year, so if we score 1st (and avoid the absolute horror start from last year) I'll be very confident of all 3 points. We're more of an unknown quantity from 1-0 down! 

13 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

Obviously yes. I just think with the way Bruce sets up the first goal is even more important than normal! We've shown how difficult we are to break down with a lead this year, so if we score 1st (and avoid the absolute horror start from last year) I'll be very confident of all 3 points. We're more of an unknown quantity from 1-0 down! 

If you are playing a system that is the best one for your team, you do not change systems if you happen to go a goal behind. All it means is that, at that moment you are at a disadvantage. Your game plan shouldn't change,

Edited by rigger

Rock and a hard place with this game. Lose and my win, win and win again bubble gets burst. Win it and I won't believe we will lose a game all season. Both silly points of view but I'm on such a high at the moment I don't want it to stop. WBA will be a TOUGH encounter so I'm a bit pessimistic, but win and you'll have to scrape me off the ceiling. Everything is crossed for a 2:1.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, rigger said:

If you are playing a system that is the best one for your team, you do not change systems if you happen to go a goal behind. All it means is that, at that moment you are at a disadvantage. Your game plan shouldn't change,

I agree with that - although with 10 minutes to go you might throw caution to the wind and are more likely to risk conceding another in search of an equaliser. Of course if you do that earlier in the game it is an acceptance your original system didn't work, and if you have confidence in your system then conceding a goal shouldn't cause you to massively deviate from it! 

That doesn't mean that some teams aren't better than others at protecting leads - with very little empirical evidence to hand I'd probably put Bruce/West Brom in that category. Based on this season, I'd also say we are the same. We play with much more swagger and confidence when a goal ahead, and it takes a good team to score 2 past us.