BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

Loving this Saudi Arabia v Poland game. The Saudis are playing with an intensity that England, based on last night’s performance, can only dream of.

Nice also, to see Poland playing it long, to get out of trouble when pressed at the back. Thinking for themselves instead of the need to being seen to play like everyone else. 

And that Saudi support. Making an absolute racket and a brilliant atmosphere. I’m warming to this tournament now after being indifferent at the start.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Loving this Saudi Arabia v Poland game. The Saudis are playing with an intensity that England, based on last night’s performance, can only dream of.

Nice also, to see Poland playing it long, to get out of trouble when pressed at the back. Thinking for themselves instead of the need to being seen to play like everyone else. 

And that Saudi support. Making an absolute racket and a brilliant atmosphere. I’m warming to this tournament now after being indifferent at the start.

all this short passing,slow build up  b*****s came about when barcalona`s legacy team of iniesta,xavi,messi,dani alves  and david villa were tearing the rest of europe apart,unfortunately ,players like the above only come about once a lifetime and don`t play for middling clubs in england

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

all this short passing,slow build up  b*****s came about when barcalona`s legacy team of iniesta,xavi,messi,dani alves  and david villa were tearing the rest of europe apart,unfortunately ,players like the above only come about once a lifetime and don`t play for middling clubs in england

True. It’ll change at some point but, for now, everyone follows like sheep. 

43 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

When Barcelona did it they had players who didn't need more than two touches and had great speed of mind. The sheep who are trying to replicate this simply don't have the raw materials to do it hence too many touches and ponderous in possession. I do feel that the tide is shifting a little as some of the World Cup teams are going longer, playing on second balls and percentages. Hopefully Tomasson realises our limitations and tweaks things.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

It seemed pretty simple to me. USA had 3 very athletic players in the middle. We had two athletic players in the middle. They inevitably won that battle. Mount can play a bit deeper, but he was a complete passenger in the number 10 role. 

For me Southgate should have switched by getting Mount to drop after about 25 minutes. Personally I'd have been taking him off for Gallagher. We simply lost that midfield battle so we never even got into their final third. 

It was a poor performance and that's on Southgate. I've no reason to think he'll adjust. Either before a game and especially mid game.

Croatia 2018 - outnumbered in midfield 

Italy 2021 - outnumbered in midfield

Last night - outnumbered in midfield 

The only difference was the quality of the opposition. Southgate has never played a 3 man midfield in all his time as England manager. Without elite ball playing players we always get overrun there. It's obvious. Very clear what a lot of people have said previously. He's a steady eddy of a manager who will see us progress through group stages, but he lacks any tactical noise which will eventually see us achieve nothing. 

And I've not even mentioned the attacking talent on our bench he always fails to utilise. 

I agree with the issues in midfield, but I also think it's a tempo and aggression thing. This England squad is far, far more potent when pushing teams back into their own boxes, but Gareth is obsessed with sitting back and protecting one goal lead or even draws when it isn't necessary.

In the Euros final we started off aggressively and dominated the first 5 minutes or so, pushing the wing backs high - got the goal and then sat back and offered no attacking threat for the rest of the game. I'm not saying you can keep that level of football up for 90 minutes but you use it to get at least another before you start game managment.

Again against Germany in the Nation's League - let Germany dictate the game. Suddenly we throw everything at them and score 3 times in 10 or so minutes, because we don't allow teams out when we're pressing them back. 

Even against Iran, we looked ordinary until the first goal, but then we went for the jugular. I just don't get why we didn't even bother trying last night. He leaves some of our most creative players on the bench and starts people like Sterling and Mount who have had awful seasons and performances for club and country.

Like Mogga, he's a dinosaur and needs potting regardless of the tournament, with someone coming in who can take advantage of the talent that's there.

• Like 3

Absolute crap last night from start to finish and nothing to be excited about against a side that was nothing more than ok.

This love affair with Mount is so strange, he is bang average and is not a top level player, all whilst Foden who is the best player aside from maybe Kane is criminally underused.

Southgate is a really limited manager and it is not hard to outsmart him. He settled for a draw after an hour and the Henderson sub was laughable.

Edited by roversfan99

It’s because ITV seemingly want an hour’s build up for every game (unlike the Beeb that only have 15 minutes or so for some of their matches), and as the pundits know feck all about half of the other sides it ends up being the same England chat (and a bit of Wales) over and over. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
On 25/11/2022 at 16:47, Norbert Rassragr said:

It's a bit difficult being half Welsh, but also an England fan. I want both to do well , and the latter is my first team in football but I have no time for little Englanders who sneer and deride everyone else in the UK. 

Well you're really not going to like how much fun I'm having laughing at Welsh sport at the moment then:

Sat 19th- Rugby, beaten by Georgia

Mon 21st- Football, draw with USA

Fri 25th- Football, beaten by Iran.

Sat 26th- Rugby, beaten by Australia A team after being 21 pts in front. 

Tues 29th - Football, England??? 🤔

Things go to plan and this could be the worst 10 days in Welsh sport ever. And I'll be chuckling no end at it, if we can turn them over.

Just as they would for us. (As evidenced by the videos they record and post.)

Most people wouldn't expect it any other way, nowt wrong with a bit of healthy rivalry and ribbing. 

I was in Cardiff for Seaman's howler v Brazil in 2002. They carried on partying and drinking all day, celebrating a result from a World Cup they weren't in. Fair play to them, looked like they really enjoyed themselves. 

Not sure why you think it should be any different for us. 🤷🏻‍♂️

55 minutes ago, Silas said:

Well you're really not going to like how much fun I'm having laughing at Welsh sport at the moment then:

Sat 19th- Rugby, beaten by Georgia

Mon 21st- Football, draw with USA

Fri 25th- Football, beaten by Iran.

Sat 26th- Rugby, beaten by Australia A team after being 21 pts in front. 

Tues 29th - Football, England??? 🤔

Things go to plan and this could be the worst 10 days in Welsh sport ever. And I'll be chuckling no end at it, if we can turn them over.

Just as they would for us. (As evidenced by the videos they record and post.)

Most people wouldn't expect it any other way, nowt wrong with a bit of healthy rivalry and ribbing. 

I was in Cardiff for Seaman's howler v Brazil in 2002. They carried on partying and drinking all day, celebrating a result from a World Cup they weren't in. Fair play to them, looked like they really enjoyed themselves. 

Not sure why you think it should be any different for us. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was in a pub in Aberdeen for the Iceland game. All the tick-tocks were wearing Iceland plastic bags, as improvised tops

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, rigger said:

I was in a pub in Aberdeen for the Iceland game. All the tick-tocks were wearing Iceland plastic bags, as improvised tops

😂😂

Quite like that, good improvisation. 

The Welsh had forked out for Brazil tops. Was a sea of yellow in town that day. 

I watched the "Germany 1 England 5" game in Scotland in 2001.

The Scots knew we were a group of English and took the piss out of us from about half an hour before kick off right up until Gerrard scored to put us 2-1 up. Most of them had left by the time we scored the 4th. 😀

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I watched the "Germany 1 England 5" game in Scotland in 2001.

The Scots knew we were a group of English and took the piss out of us from about half an hour before kick off right up until Gerrard scored to put us 2-1 up. Most of them had left by the time we scored the 4th. 😀

I went to the game in Munich, you had to have your wits about you, especially when trying to come to terms with the fact Emile Heskey looked world class 😂

• Like 3

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Argentina haven't justified the hype at all this tournament 

The hype was all around that 36 game unbeaten run.

But barring 3 games against Brazil, 1 against Italy, the teams in that run you wouldn't expect to have a chance of winning. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

People are complaining about the 0-0 draw with the USA, there msl league has been going for years, I would'nt class them as underdogs. Unless Wales beat England 5 or 6-0, we will be in the knockout stages. And dont forget there playing in 94 plus farenheit.

You say you wouldn’t class them as underdogs but how many of their squad would get into ours? Adams maybe Pulisic probably no one else and yet in spite of that they deserved all 3 points. In the grand scheme of things I highly doubt drawing with the usa will affect qualification (as top) one iota. But not to beat the usa, who admittedly aren’t as shit as usual, is still embarrassing in the same way not beating Scotland was embarrassing. 

• Like 2