BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bradley Dack - Twist or Stick?

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Can we stop again with the superfan routine please, I will be supporting the team tonight just as you will.

Same old routine from yourself.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

On the clean sheet thing, my point was not a negative about our defensive record, I am just saying that you can't keep a clean sheet everytime and we need more than that.

When anyones main 2 goalscorers are out, more often than not they will not score at the same rate, hence why strikers cost so much money.

Why would I have loads of confidence in the likes of Dolan, Gallagher, Szmodics, Hedges and Thomas to score enough goals to offset Brereton and Dack? None have good goalscoring records.

Dolan step tonight and others will aswell. 

Another clean sheet. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Same old routine from yourself.

Dolan step tonight and others will aswell. 

Another clean sheet. 

A strange reaction to instantly come for the "I told you so." I dont doubt that they will score occasionally but there arent enough goals there over time hence why we need the main 2 back in the team ASAP. A tough watch but built on solidity and organisation against a shocking side.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A strange reaction to instantly come for the "I told you so." I dont doubt that they will score occasionally but there arent enough goals there over time hence why we need the main 2 back in the team ASAP. A tough watch but built on solidity and organisation against a shocking side.

Not a tough watch. We controlled the game and good team performance. Should be 2 nil at least. 

JDT has built a solid and organised team. Nothing wrong with that. Add to flair players and more goals now. 

Like I said someone will step up and Scored tonight. Now on to QPR 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not a tough watch. We controlled the game and good team performance. Should be 2 nil at least. 

JDT has built a solid and organised team. Nothing wrong with that. Add to flair players and more goals now. 

Like I said someone will step up and Scored tonight. Now on to QPR 

Dolan took his chance well but aside from the Morton chance there was nothing really close to being clear cut.

Good result, very impressive league position, very impressive defensive solidity, as dull a style since the Appleton days and a total dearth of chances created and excitement.

Still, tonight and Saturday were both snooze fests yet if we go home with a win im happy.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dolan took his chance well but aside from the Morton chance there was nothing really close to being clear cut.

Good result, very impressive league position, very impressive defensive solidity, as dull a style since the Appleton days and a total dearth of chances created and excitement.

Still, tonight and Saturday were both snooze fests yet if we go home with a win im happy.

image.jpeg.97406963f35a33bbc5d418ba3be3b8c6.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher should have done better with his shot. Also like I said sometimes our final ball or final decision making isn't right. 

Dull? Not for me. We are well drilled organise team who work hard for the shirt, plenty of effort and try the best. 

Good overall performance tonight. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher should have done better with his shot. Also like I said sometimes our final ball or final decision making isn't right. 

Dull? Not for me. We are well drilled organise team who work hard for the shirt, plenty of effort and try the best. 

Good overall performance tonight. 

That Gallagher shot was a half chance at best.

Well drilled? Well organised? Effort on show? Wouldn't disagree with any of that. And all of these help to get us a win which is the most important thing.

But Tomasson's football is so dull IMO, as I've said before I think it is as bad entertainment wise since Appleton. But result wise as it stands at the moment, it is effective. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

That Gallagher shot was a half chance at best.

Not for me. Similar to Dolan's goal

Well drilled? Well organised? Effort on show? Wouldn't disagree with any of that. And all of these help to get us a win which is the most important thing.

👍🏻

But Tomasson's football is so dull IMO, as I've said before I think it is as bad entertainment wise since Appleton. But result wise as it stands at the moment, it is effective. 

Have to disagree there . 

We have taken 8 points in the last 4 games. Second best home record in the league. 4th best record in clean sheets . 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not for me. Similar to Dolan's goal

👍🏻

Have to disagree there . 

We have taken 8 points in the last 4 games. Second best home record in the league. 4th best record in clean sheets . 

Again, none of those impressive stats are relevant to my comment about the aesthetics of our performance.

In isolation, I can say that Tomasson's style of football is terrible to watch. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the recent run of 4 games, the general organisation of the team or the fact that Tomasson can clearly build a solid base, or that the home form is strong. It also doesn't mean that I have changed on my stance that it all comes down to results nor that I am anything other than happy that we are sat in 4th, I will happily watch a boring game as I have done twice within the last week at Ewood if I get the satisfaction of 3 points once that whistle goes and beyond.

If you replaced Rovers with another random side and had watched the 2 games we have seen at Ewood, you would not have been remotely entertained.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, none of those impressive stats are relevant to my comment about the aesthetics of our performance.

In isolation, I can say that Tomasson's style of football is terrible to watch. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the recent run of 4 games, the general organisation of the team or the fact that Tomasson can clearly build a solid base, or that the home form is strong. It also doesn't mean that I have changed on my stance that it all comes down to results nor that I am anything other than happy that we are sat in 4th, I will happily watch a boring game as I have done twice within the last week at Ewood if I get the satisfaction of 3 points once that whistle goes and beyond.

If you replaced Rovers with another random side and had watched the 2 games we have seen at Ewood, you would not have been remotely entertained.

Aesthetics of the performance?

We aren't here performing a synchronised dance routine. We are here to win games

20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Aesthetics of the performance?

We aren't here performing a synchronised dance routine. We are here to win games

And if you read my posts over the last 24 hours, I have said numerous times that it is about results and I have praised Tomasson for that. His football can be effective over the course of a season AND not often entertaining, and I have made it clear which is more important.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And if you read my posts over the last 24 hours, I have said numerous times that it is about results and I have praised Tomasson for that. His football can be effective over the course of a season AND not often entertaining, and I have made it clear which is more important.

It is difficult to read them all. You are posting about the same topic of conversation across multiple threads

In general I get your theme: JDT's style of football bores you. It is slow, cumbersome, dull, dreadful, lacking in creativity, aesthetics and skill

I would disagree. It is now approaching March and we are 4th with what has to be the worst squad we have had in the last 5 years

For months now you have been berating the style of play - what do you want to change? Do you want us to abandon the defensive structure, start attacking relentlessly and rely on Vale, Gallagher, Dack, Dolan, Thomas, Hedges to outscore the opponents?

Sometimes in life you have to manage resources in such a way that you do things differently to how you would like to. This is evidently one of them cases

When you looked at Malmo's results during JDT's time there, both in Europe and the League, you can see they scored a lot of goals. He obviously had better attackers at his disposal

I know you will continue to come on here after match calling the football dull or boring, but I think this is a case of sucking it up, accepting what tools our coaching team have at their disposal, and appreciating the art of winning football matches with a squad that, on paper, does not deserve to be 4th

Give Mowbray a team where Dack and Brereton are missing, relying on a defence consisting of JRC and an unfit Brittain, and Dolan our biggest goal threat and we lose week in week out. He played more expansive football - attacking at least - but where did it get us?

Edited by Dreams of 1995

• 2 weeks later...

One for consideration - does Dack get back into this team when fit?

I'm not sure how SS can be dropped, it feels to me he adds some agility and drive BD just doesn't have. That said, BD reads the game so well he continually gets himself into the right position to score so I think he's worth more goals.

The last couple of games SS has been my POTM as he is at the heart of every positive move, add his personality and assign to that and I think dropping him would be a mistake.

Another point to consider is whether BD should be extended by the extra year, assuming we remain in the championship and the rough guesses around wage (25k pw) are accurate then that feels a big chunk. Combine it with Ayala and we'd be in a position to pay the wages of a decent striker.

The more players we have whose places are at risk because understudies have come in and played even better, the better it is for everyone. 

At some point inevitably Ash Phillips and Adam Wharton will come in and displace players we currently think unreplaceable.

That said, Bradley Dack thankfully showed enough both that he can play in the JDT way of football and that he is still one of the most gifted players in the Championship.

My guess if we ever achieved the nirvana of the current squad 100% fit and playing to what they are currently capable of, Dack would still be an automatic pick in his favoured hole behind the front man position. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, philipl said:

The more players we have whose places are at risk because understudies have come in and played even better, the better it is for everyone. 

At some point inevitably Ash Phillips and Adam Wharton will come in and displace players we currently think unreplaceable.

That said, Bradley Dack thankfully showed enough both that he can play in the JDT way of football and that he is still one of the most gifted players in the Championship.

My guess if we ever achieved the nirvana of the current squad 100% fit and playing to what they are currently capable of, Dack would still be an automatic pick in his favoured hole behind the front man position. 

Not for me. Szmodic has been fantastic the last few games. His energy is infectious. On ability, Dack gets in, but SS is more suited to how we play and he’s started to show more quality on the ball recently. A good problem to have either way.

Sometimes players who aren’t quite as skilful have the abilities to fit into the game plan better. A bit like Alf Ramsey playing Roger Hunt when there were better strikers around but not with Hunt’s work rate.

Szmodics fits into the current game plan to JDT’s satisfaction. He’s more mobile than Dack and probably more of a pain to play against. He looks to be an irritating opponent. Nothing wrong with that.

Dack will get his chance when he’s fit again but there’s no need to rush him back.

I think it’s hard to say either BD, or BBD should come straight back in. I’ve always been a big supporter of Dack playing but the last 3/4 games the front 4 have been superb. Look at them going full pelt getting forward for Pickering’s goal yesterday, the press between the 4 of them, the energy running back after players yesterday. I think it’s a very hard to change the squad with the run we are on. I don’t think BBD provided anything when he came on for Dolan and his leg work getting back isn’t the same. I love BBD but he won’t put a foot in when he tracks back he just hovers around the player rather than trying to stop them

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Szmodics is certainly proving me wrong, I'd written him off only a few weeks back.

Dack will get his opportunity again though soon enough, it's a squad game and we'll need every man.

Most on here wrote him off, think I'm in a really small minority who rated him. His performance against Boro away swung it for me.

• Like 2

Dack has done brilliantly to force his way back into the side. Now he's injured, Szmodics has stepped up and Dacky has to do it all again. He'll get opportunities to do so, but no player should automatically expect to walk straight back in. The reason we are where we as is because every player has to fight for their place.

I look forward to Dack trying to force his way back in and Szmodics keeping his levels high knowing that any drop off in performance may see him lose his place. Healthy competition. On that note, the same applies to Diaz. He needs to win the shirt back too.