BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bradley Dack - Twist or Stick?

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

Dack has done brilliantly to force his way back into the side. Now he's injured, Szmodics has stepped up and Dacky has to do it all again. He'll get opportunities to do so, but no player should automatically expect to walk straight back in. The reason we are where we as is because every player has to fight for their place.

I look forward to Dack trying to force his way back in and Szmodics keeping his levels high knowing that any drop off in performance may see him lose his place. Healthy competition. On that note, the same applies to Diaz. He needs to win the shirt back too.

Are clubs going to offer big wages to Diaz, if he can't get into the Rovers team ? 

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

Are clubs going to offer big wages to Diaz, if he can't get into the Rovers team ? 

It's not like we're due a transfer fee anyway so I couldn't care less.

He obviously has the offer on the table from Villareal which he is seemingly yet to accept. It's not long until English based clubs will be able to offer him pre-contracts either. Regardless of whether he is in the Rovers team, given his form I can't imagine there will be many Premier League offers incoming. Maybe one club may take a gamble but there won't be a scramble, resulting in mega bucks. 

Even from an unbiased perspective I really think his best option may well be staying with us. He looks a million miles from being ready to step up to another team right now and would be at real risk of his career completely stagnating.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

It's not like we're due a transfer fee anyway so I couldn't care less.

He obviously has the offer on the table from Villareal which he is seemingly yet to accept. It's not long until English based clubs will be able to offer him pre-contracts either. Regardless of whether he is in the Rovers team, given his form I can't imagine there will be many Premier League offers incoming. Maybe one club may take a gamble but there won't be a scramble, resulting in mega bucks. 

Even from an unbiased perspective I really think his best option may well be staying with us. He looks a million miles from being ready to step up to another team right now and would be at real risk of his career completely stagnating.

I was trying to make the point that Diaz may not get the offers he and his agent are expecting. We shall have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Its important not to have short memories on Dack, he was our best player for the month prior to his injury.

Also, there are games to play between now and again. If Szmodics carries on as he has played lately then of course, no brainer, he stays in the team.

Dack will probably have to come in from the bench initially anyway due to having not played for a bit.

I very much doubt we pay anyone 25k but I think we have to keep him, especially assuming that we don't go up. He is a leader in a squad not full of leadership and it would be an area of the team with him and Szmodics that would be sorted before making a signing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its important not to have short memories on Dack, he was our best player for the month prior to his injury.

Also, there are games to play between now and again. If Szmodics carries on as he has played lately then of course, no brainer, he stays in the team.

Dack will probably have to come in from the bench initially anyway due to having not played for a bit.

I very much doubt we pay anyone 25k but I think we have to keep him, especially assuming that we don't go up. He is a leader in a squad not full of leadership and it would be an area of the team with him and Szmodics that would be sorted before making a signing.

It is also important not to let the memories become fantasies.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Very true but since Dack and BBD got injured other players have step up and performed and scored. 

Its very interesting problem to have but similar to Pears and Kaminski problem we will have shortly

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It will be interesting in what Rovers and Dack do beyond this season

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very true but since Dack and BBD got injured other players have step up and performed and scored. 

Its very interesting problem to have but similar to Pears and Kaminski problem we will have shortly

Especially assuming we are in this division, it would be crazy not to have him here next season. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pears has got the shirt for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pears has got the shirt for me.

Would be hard to drop him the way things have been going recently, but I do just think Kaminski is a better keeper. 

Not sure I've seen Pears make too many great saves, but then the clean sheets don't lie, and maybe his communication and distribution is pushing a part. 

I'll happily leave that call up to JDT, same as with bringing back Dack and Brereton. 

5 minutes ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Would be hard to drop him the way things have been going recently, but I do just think Kaminski is a better keeper. 

Not sure I've seen Pears make too many great saves, but then the clean sheets don't lie, and maybe his communication and distribution is pushing a part. 

I'll happily leave that call up to JDT, same as with bringing back Dack and Brereton. 

Kaminski was below par for a few games before he dropped out. Maybe the injury was affecting him for a while.

13 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

No doubt kaminski is the better overall keeper but pears keeps the shirt for me until he goes through a spell to lose it.

Never thought I’d ever write that

You can’t play it any other way. How else can you maintain competition for places ?

We’re all equal but some are more equal than others ?

• Like 1

Sends a terrible message if Dack, Diaz or Kaminski come straight back into the team when fit.

Like JRC at right back, Szmodics, Dolan, Gallagher & Pears have the shirt until there form starts to dip again.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Sends a terrible message if Dack, Diaz or Kaminski come straight back into the team when fit.

Like JRC at right back, Szmodics, Dolan, Gallagher & Pears have the shirt until there form starts to dip again.

Agree. The only exception I'd say is if the backroom team feel somebody's workload has been too high and their body is feeling the stress in a 3-game week. We do have a fairly small squad and need to manage it carefully, avoiding too many injuries. We've been close to being stretched too far at times. I'm not advocating excessive caution with this, results come first, but the staff should have an idea of when players are on the verge of a problem. JRC in particular is one I worry about picking up an injury, as he's had such problems with them in the past.

Apart from that, everybody should be in the team on form and form alone, not reputation. Of course, Dack, Diaz and other outfield players can have opportunities from the bench in the meantime. It's up to them to show they're playing better than the lads named in the starting 11. Until they do, there's no reason for them to return to a starting berth while the boys are doing well.

• Like 2

I love Dack and was his greatest advocate when he wasn't (and when he was) being picked, but he currently wouldn't start even if fully fit. Szmodics has the shirt for now, and him and Dolan's relentless pressing, energy and link up seems our best bet. That being said, what a great option to have off the bench if Szmodics suffers a dip in form or if there's fitness issues. Dack was certainly our best player for a bit, but the team have been much better the last few games and this has come from the long awaited high, aggressive press we have adopted. I'm not sure that suits Dack. 

If Dack plays, we either modify our approach slightly or shuffle the pack slightly to ensure someone else is replacing the incessant work rate of Szmodics. 

On 06/03/2023 at 02:08, Tugay-is-God said:

I think that Pears also looks the more comfortable when dealing with low shots fired in at speed.

Dack, BBD and Kaminski are all just an injury or poor performance away from recall anyway and will, I think, be needed well before this season is over.

Meanwhile we have to start with the team who not only beat SU but played so well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Where next as Blackburn Rovers face more contract decisions on players | Lancashire Telegraph

Good article on the current situation re those who haven't had their contracts extended yet.

Dack is an interesting one. High earner so if we trigger his 1-year option it will have to be on the same money. If JDT doesn't see him as a key man then maybe it won't be triggered. Suggestion also Dack's main objective is regular football. If he isn't getting it here he may want to leave. Talks planned for the end of the season. 

Ayala looks like he possibly might be off.

Dack could go either way. I’d personally keep him if he’s willing, but in all likelihood one more year will be the most we’ll see of him, then he’s on to the free transfer market in his thirties with two ACLs for clubs to mull over. 

But surely not a chance Ayala will stay. Big earner in the context of modern BRFC, centre half is one of our strong points and he spends big chunks of each season unavailable.

• Like 2

I honestly can't see Ayala being offered a new deal (and will be disappointed too) for a few reasons primarily his injury record and wages but one big consideration for Tomasson is that Sam Barnes will be fit by then. Tomasson talked highly of him in pre season and I saw him a couple of times in friendlies and he looked comfortable.