BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 5/11/22

Vale has to be dropped. Szmodic onto the bench along with Wharton.. Dacks a physical little bugger. Don't see why he couldn't mix it in the middle. Let him roam when we have the ball.  You could even let Gallagher drop a bit and press (which he does well) then pivot off Dack.  

4-3-3

GK: Kaminski

DL: Pickering
DR: Brittain
DC:  Ayala
DC:  Hyam

MC: Travis
MC: Morton
MC: Dack  (Roaming when we have the ball)

AML: Brereton
AMR: Hedges
ST: Gallagher

S1: Eastham
S2: Wharton
S3: Buckley
S4: Szmodic
S5: Markanday
S6: Hirst
S7: Wharton

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Vale has to be dropped. Szmodic onto the bench along with Wharton.. Dacks a physical little bugger. Don't see why he couldn't mix it in the middle. Let him roam when we have the ball.  You could even let Gallagher drop a bit and press (which he does well) then pivot off Dack.  

4-3-3

GK: Kaminski

DL: Pickering
DR: Brittain
DC:  Ayala
DC:  Hyam

MC: Travis
MC: Morton
MC: Dack  (Roaming when we have the ball)

AML: Brereton
AMR: Hedges
ST: Gallagher

S1: Eastham
S2: Wharton
S3: Buckley
S4: Szmodic
S5: Markanday
S6: Hirst
S7: Wharton

With our squad 4-3-3 has been our least productive formation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rigger said:

With our squad 4-3-3 has been our least productive formation.

I can tell you right now you are wrong! I've been testing formations and tactics on Football manager, and I can assure you this works. Currently 12th in the Premiership after 4 games in my second season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I can tell you right now you are wrong! I've been testing formations and tactics on Football manager, and I can assure you this works. Currently 12th in the Premiership after 4 games in my second season.

I rest my case, your honour. 

• Like 4

On 02/11/2022 at 18:49, Miller11 said:

Are Hedges and Gallagher expected to be fit?

I hope so, both are a big miss at the moment.

Both are fit to play Miller11 and hopefully both will start tomorrow and rest for the West Ham game ready for the proper Lancashire derby. 

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Seems particularly cautious for playing bottom of the league at home.

I would go for a back 4 with Dack in but even if he sticks to a 5, I would play Dack off the front 2.

Don't get the Garrett inclusion, all he has shown he does is charge wildly into challenges. Surely someone more attacking would make sense?

Wildly? Garrett gets his foot in and that what we need at times. His red card at Coventry was rightly rescinded and it was never a red card in month of Sundays. Ref sent him off cos of the Coventry players reaction. simple as.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Yup, fantasy fookin football. It isn't the real thing, ya kna.

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He clearly did know that and was joking.

I clearly had my Friday night fantasy football beer bypass, and was taking the mick. HIc. Burp. 'Pologies n all that...frrrmpp

Going back to the game.. Saw a little of the Hereford vs Pompey FA Cup tie on t'BBC thigh player this evening. Sometimes there is a clear gulf in class between sides, and eventually if the 'better' quality side goes about its business in a consistent and systematic way, the class difference pays a dividend in chances and goals. That was evident clearly in the game at Gresty Road, so no surprises that Pompey ran out 1-3 winners in the end.

When you look at the Championship though, there are much finer margins between teams and as such it is much harder to see what is the difference that makes a difference between sides. Our six-fingered friends have clearly got something extra in the tank which enables them to keep going right to the last and to vary tactics enough to grind out late goals when they need them (based on recent form at least). Whether that is confidence & mindset, skill, or just a better quality of player is kind of irrelevant, because they are simply able to switch to turbo when it matters  - Rovers & JDT beware!

As for the game later today, we need to go about our business in the way that has brought us success in our better outings, and from the get go. There is probably less margin between our side and the Huddersfield set up than we'd care to comfortably admit, and our turbo button (whatever that might be for JDT) appears frustratingly difficult to press so far this campaign. Sooner or later we will have an afternoon where it gets stuck ON - only question is, should that be this week or next? 

With apologies / thanks to the late Gary Larson....perhaps JDT is at this very moment plotting his somnambulant success.. 

Dreams of JDT.jpg

Edited by Shirley Crabtree Wrestler
I'm a football fan (fanatic).. don't expect sensible, especially about BRFC!

18 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

After Tuesday I've seen enough. It's goodbye to 5-3-2 and the cause of our troubles Ayala must stay out of the team

Stick to 4-4-2, strengthen he midfield, get the ball forward quicker and move it quicker and keep it simple

This is the kick, bollock and bite Championship, not the pass-a-ball Champions League

If fit I'd go

Kaminski

Brittain Hyam S Wharton Pickering

Morton Travis Szmodics  A Wharton

Gallagher Brereton

Glad you’re not picking the team! “Stick to 442” is what Sunday league managers do as it’s the only formation their tiny minds can process

• Like 3

Just an observation on the lack of ‘bouncebackability’ in this Rovers side (in the profound hope that Huddersfield don’t score first today!). The last time we scored a goal in the 90th minute or beyond that actually influenced the result of a match was on the 10th April 2021 in a 2-2 draw at Cardiff (Armstrong scoring in the 90th minute). The last time we scored in stoppage time to win a game was on the 16th December 2020 as again, Armstrong netted a 98th minute winner against Rotherham at Ewood. Since his Cardiff goal we have conceded four stoppage time goals that have cost us points (Luton, Sheffield U, Coventry, Bristol City last season) plus numerous goals past the 85th minute that have cost us as well. The last time we actually witnessed a Rovers player score a late late goal at Ewood was Bradley Johnson’s 95th minute leveller against Swansea in the last match before lockdown. My point is…in the last week we have seen Charlton and Burnley score 2 goals apiece in stoppage time…a feat unimaginable for the Rovers. I don’t have the stats to hand but surely we must be the worst team in the football league for scoring late influential goals…and given that stats play such a big part in the professional game today, why hasn’t someone at Rovers done something about this!!!!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

I don’t have the stats to hand but surely we must be the worst team in the football league for scoring late influential goals…and given that stats play such a big part in the professional game today, why hasn’t someone at Rovers done something about this!!!!

Because it’s mentality, much harder to ‘coach’ than drilling tactical shape into them…

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Some Sunday league Managers win titles with 4-4-2. DId'nt England win the World cup in 66 with a 4-4-2 formation.

Aye, nearly 60 years back, when the grass was greener, the pound was flying and footballs weighed the same as fat Sam's arse.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not trolling you or anyone else who thinks a particular formation is 'the answer', but I do think that the 'modern' game needs managers, teams and coaches capable of adapting to the prevailing conditions (tactics, strengths, successes, pitch etc) that they find laid our against them in a game. 4-4-2 is a wonderful thing to see, but at the end of the day, sticking to a system when it isn't working is straight from the 'how to get relegated in one easy lesson' manual.

We know where the strengths of our current squad lie, just as plainly as we can see where its weaknesses are. This afternoon it would be great if we could play to the former and adapt to the latter.

COY JDT BWA!

Edited by Shirley Crabtree Wrestler