BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 5/11/22

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Slightly contradictory statement there.  You agree with JDT but question if he'll get sacked for dropping the woeful Travis.  It doesn't take courage, Lowe does it regular over at nobend,  he drops Browne a lot, puts Whiteman as captain...

We need a new midfielder to replace Travis and Buckley in January....that could be the missing link for promotion.....these young lads can't do it all themselves and LT and JB have proved they are bog standard championship players.

I'm more talking about losing the dressing room

JDT has guided a so-so bunch to the top end of the table, ergo he’ll be in a strong position at the club and with the players, so I doubt he’d worry about ‘surviving’ dropping a run of the mill second tier player like Travis.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, arbitro said:
21 hours ago, Tricky said:

but isnt that the smart thing to do, damned if he does, damned if he doesnt

I personally don't believe it's particularly smart to camp in and around your own penalty area inviting pressure. If we were the yards further up field to deny the opposition space it would be far better in my view.

substitutions and tactics are very different though

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

These young lads ARE the new dressing room, JDT will add his men from outside and phase out JB, LT and sadly BD

Yeah I don't think Travis will survive long in JDT's squad, but struggle to see him dropping him and Dack at least before the next transfer window. Maybe he will prove me wrong as Trav does deserve to be dropped

50 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Slightly contradictory statement there.  You agree with JDT but question if he'll get sacked for dropping the woeful Travis.  It doesn't take courage, Lowe does it regular over at nobend,  he drops Browne a lot, puts Whiteman as captain...

We need a new midfielder to replace Travis and Buckley in January....that could be the missing link for promotion.....these young lads can't do it all themselves and LT and JB have proved they are bog standard championship players.

In a balanced midfield 3, and not at right-back, Travis is fine. He'll never do any good at right-back anymore than Gallacher will on the wing. he hasn't had a good season but the selections haven't helped him.

I'd not be writing Travis off at this point till he proved a failure in his natural position.

• Like 5

This theory of us missing the physicality of Travis in the middle isn't accurate in my opinion. We have a style of play where we try to play the ball out from the back and that isn't going to change. 

The games we get overrun in isn't because of the lack of a tough tackling midfielder it's because we are constantly losing the ball in the middle of the park once the backline try to play it forwards. We need players in the middle of the park who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

This theory of us missing the physicality of Travis in the middle isn't accurate in my opinion. We have a style of play where we try to play the ball out from the back and that isn't going to change. 

The games we get overrun in isn't because of the lack of a tough tackling midfielder it's because we are constantly losing the ball in the middle of the park once the backline try to play it forwards. We need players in the middle of the park who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. 

100% but I think it requires a midfield signing that can do both. He's been one of my favourite players over the past few years and is good at breaking up play but he doesn't have enough ability on the ball and it's limiting us IMO. He is constantly rolling it to any other player even if they are only 2 or 3 yards away, then pointing at where they should pass it. It isn't good enough. He can't make the right pass himself. Tempted to say Ollie Rathbone at Rotherham would suit our system better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

These young lads ARE the new dressing room, JDT will add his men from outside and phase out JB, LT and sadly BD

I think giving Buckley a new 5 year deal 6 weeks ago suggest ls he’ll be part of that dressing room for a while yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I agree with keeping Trav out. Out of the regular starters he has been our worst performer this year imo. It takes courage to drop your captain though, and if the rumours of a rift with Dack are true, could JDT survive pissing Trav off before January too? Both are hugely popular figures in the dressing room

But for this game I would, he looked leggy last week, and it's as good a reason as any

My team

Kaminski

Brittain Carter Hyam Wharton Pickering

Morton Wharton Garrett

Brereton Hedges

Switch out Hedges for Gally or Dolan if he isn't fit.

If A Wharton needs a rest play Szmodics.

Seems particularly cautious for playing bottom of the league at home.

I would go for a back 4 with Dack in but even if he sticks to a 5, I would play Dack off the front 2.

Don't get the Garrett inclusion, all he has shown he does is charge wildly into challenges. Surely someone more attacking would make sense?

After Tuesday I've seen enough. It's goodbye to 5-3-2 and the cause of our troubles Ayala must stay out of the team

Stick to 4-4-2, strengthen he midfield, get the ball forward quicker and move it quicker and keep it simple

This is the kick, bollock and bite Championship, not the pass-a-ball Champions League

If fit I'd go

Kaminski

Brittain Hyam S Wharton Pickering

Morton Travis Szmodics  A Wharton

Gallagher Brereton

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rigger said:

my midfield three would be -              Morton,  Adam Wharton,   Mola 

On the back of what? So far Mola has played average at centre back in the U23s and had a decent sub appearance at LWB for the first team. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Yep. JDT wants to use the CMs as pivots, they need to be comfortable picking the ball up and moving it in tight spaces - Travis can't do that to the level required really. It's partly not his fault, Mowbray spent 5 years hammering the creative side out of his game. 

I personally don't think Morton is that great, but he can play that style. A. Wharton absolutely can, but he can't play 90 minutes, especially not twice a week. It's also why I'm surprised Buckley is out of the team as he too can play with the ball.

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

On the back of what? So far Mola has played average at centre back in the U23s and had a decent sub appearance at LWB for the first team. 

Mola is never a center-back, but for the U21s (It's not the U23's anymore) when he has wandered into the left side of midfield, he looks a very competent player. My opinion is on the back of seing him, live.

20 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Masses of empty seating around the ground on seat booker....£18.75 not quite captured the public!

It's going to take years to get the fans back I'm afraid. A stay in the Premier League would help - that'd bump them up by 5-6k I think, but the stay-a-ways need more convincing.

6 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

We simply have to find a way to get the back line further forward. I watched city play Seville the other night. Two teams playing the same way with regards to playing out from the back. Seville looked like how we play . Panicking around the goalkeeper why city pressed “ with intensity”. Citys back line on the other hand  , played almost on the half way line, the wing backs where bombing down the wings like prime 90s Rovers .  The keeper was at the edge of the box after three passes with nothing to do and the rest of the team was already closing down Seville once a move broke down,  in numbers,  to start the next attack from Seville half. Seville mean while gave the ball away time and again Inviting pressure and chances and the keeper was rushed into hurried kicks and mistakes. 

Part of the problem is that City are fitter, more athletic and have more depth than we have. 

We're trying to play a pressing game twice a week with a tiny squad (look how much we've struggled without Gallagher, a player most of us would have sold in the summer!) - which is partly why we drop into a counter-attacking stance after about half an hour in each half, he's trying to preserve legs. 

I'd personally go for 4-2-3-1 on Saturday - we always look more dangerous going forward in that formation. Obviously we're more open at the back too, but I'm fine reverting to a 3-5-2 to preserve leads in the second half to shut up shop. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

Mola is never a center-back, but for the U21s (It's not the U23's anymore) when he has wandered into the left side of midfield, he looks a very competent player. My opinion is on the back of seing him, live.

I always thought he was brought in to be a LB / LWB. In both the 4-2-3-1 and the 3-5-2 you need FBs / WBs that can play football.