BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 5/11/22

Pun-tastic weekend match reports incoming as Rovers take on the Terriers at Ewood…

”Up in smoke”, “Bonfire of the vanities”, “a display (un)worthy of Bonfire Night”, “There were rockets at half-time as well as…”, “fireworks in the penalty area”, “xxx is the Guy”….you get the idea…😉

https://www.essexlive.news/whats-on/15-fire-cracking-bonfire-night-711295

I would go with the below.

Kaminski

Hyam      Ayala     Wharton

Brittain                                          Pickering

Morton          Travis

Wharton 

Gallagher     Brereton

Feel Sammy will replace A Wharton but it’s Vital that Gally starts. Although Hudds have a newish manager, they are quite a poor side. I’d rank them as good as hull so anything other than a win is a terrible result.

A win will be needed as can only see us loosing the game after this.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Kaminski

Brittain Hyam Ayala Pickering

Travis Wharton

Hedges Dack Brereton

Gallagher

Subs: Pears, S Wharton, Morton, Dolan, Markanday, Buckley, Mola

Scott Wharton has been poor this season so of the 3, I would drop him first. If Hedges and Gallagher miss out, Markanday in and Dolan in with Brereton pushed central. Bring Carter and Leonard into the squad if necessary. No Hirst and no Vale,.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski

Brittain Hyam Ayala Pickering

Travis Wharton

Hedges Dack Brereton

Gallagher

Subs: Pears, S Wharton, Morton, Dolan, Markanday, Buckley, Mola

Scott Wharton has been poor this season so of the 3, I would drop him first. If Hedges and Gallagher miss out, Markanday in and Dolan in with Brereton pushed central. Bring Carter and Leonard into the squad if necessary. No Hirst and no Vale,.

When Scott doesn't play, we look awful playing out of the back. We need his left footedness at LCB for those angles.

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

When Scott doesn't play, we look awful playing out of the back. We need his left footedness at LCB for those angles.

He needs to up his performances if he’s going to stay in the side.

I’m a big fan of his, but he’s not been playing well for a while, for me.

• Like 5

Interestingly Huddersfield over last 5 games have used 4231 twice and 352 three times with pretty mixed results. Don't think we can really go into with an expectation on how they will play.

After the horror show last night I would say we should go into this one reverting back to the setup for the Hull game, just with Brittain at right back. Same formation, same personnel. If Adam Wharton's shattered then let's bring in Buckley for him. Let Travis have a rest, we can always bring him on.

Key thing is having Gallagher back up front. And if things are not going well we shouldn't be shy to get Dack on early.

Want to see a big reaction.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Interestingly Huddersfield over last 5 games have used 4231 twice and 352 three times with pretty mixed results. Don't think we can really go into with an expectation on how they will play.

After the horror show last night I would say we should go into this one reverting back to the setup for the Hull game, just with Brittain at right back. Same formation, same personnel. If Adam Wharton's shattered then let's bring in Buckley for him. Let Travis have a rest, we can always bring him on.

Key thing is having Gallagher back up front. And if things are not going well we shouldn't be shy to get Dack on early.

Want to see a big reaction.

Just read that Gally is a doubt for the weekend. Huge Loss if the case…

Think we need another body in midfield with Diaz uptop on his Own.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

His dip in form has been marked by the high standards he has set and he really needs to sharpen up, play quicker and perhaps try a few of the big diagonals he can play rather than the short passing game. That said those criticisms could apply to a fair few of our players.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

We've got 27 points from the 12 Championship games that Wharton has played which means we've got 6 points from the 7 points that he hasn't - so I think his place should be secure.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

We've got 27 points from the 12 Championship games that Wharton has played which means we've got 6 points from the 7 points that he hasn't - so I think his place should be secure.

I’ve attended at least half of those and the guy has looked like a weak link. 
As I said, I’m a fan, but there should always be room for improvement.

7 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve attended at least half of those and the guy has looked like a weak link. 
As I said, I’m a fan, but there should always be room for improvement.

It's a results business and Scott Wharton has delivered the results. You are entitled to your opinion but dropping a guy who has proven to have such a positive effect on our results is, in my opinion, madness.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
38 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It's a results business and Scott Wharton has delivered the results. You are entitled to your opinion but dropping a guy who has proven to have such a positive effect on our results is, in my opinion, madness.

I said he would be the one to drop out of the three if we were to go to a back 4 based on current form…

Surprised to see the level of criticism on here for the two Wharton's - as has been pointed out by my sparring partner MP,  in general when Scott plays we win and when he doesn't we don't. Also although I only caught the second half last night I thought Adam was our most likely looking player so I certainly wouldn't be dropping him either. If anyone I'd be looking at Travis who gave the ball away time after time last night and seems to have completely lost his mojo.

I'm not sure either why people are clamouring for the return of Gallagher, he won't bring anything particular to the party, a classic case of a player improving in people's minds during their absence. We need BBD to pull out one final effort before the World Cup break and improve on his showing last night and then do what we failed to do last January and in the summer and sign a decent striker.

• Like 2

There is further justification of the line "lies, damned lies and statistics" in my opinion.

The win rate with and without Wharton doesn't really tell the full story, he missed 6 games after the first 2 wins, and we lost 3 in a row prior to signing Hyam because we had to keep flogging Phillips who isn't ready for this standard yet, especially playing successive games when he isn't used to the intensity, we had a patched up defence including one game where Pickering played as a third centre back with Edun at left wing back. It's not comparative to the question of if we go for 2 of Ayala, Hyam and Wharton, all of whom are good Championship centre backs on their day.

It is the same with Gallagher, he has recently performed well above his usual level and he certainly does have his uses, but part of that stat is not showing how great Gallagher is but must consider that the alternatives are Vale who can't score goals in the Conference and the inept Hirst.

Don't get me wrong, on form I do really like Scott Wharton and I think he should be high up on the contract renewal agenda, but he has been out of form basically all season, both defensively and on the ball.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is further justification of the line "lies, damned lies and statistics" in my opinion.

The win rate with and without Wharton doesn't really tell the full story, he missed 6 games after the first 2 wins, and we lost 3 in a row prior to signing Hyam because we had to keep flogging Phillips who isn't ready for this standard yet, especially playing successive games when he isn't used to the intensity, we had a patched up defence including one game where Pickering played as a third centre back with Edun at left wing back. It's not comparative to the question of if we go for 2 of Ayala, Hyam and Wharton, all of whom are good Championship centre backs on their day.

It is the same with Gallagher, he has recently performed well above his usual level and he certainly does have his uses, but part of that stat is not showing how great Gallagher is but must consider that the alternatives are Vale who can't score goals in the Conference and the inept Hirst.

Don't get me wrong, on form I do really like Scott Wharton and I think he should be high up on the contract renewal agenda, but he has been out of form basically all season, both defensively and on the ball.

I don't want to set up a Hyam v Wharton argument - both are excellent at this level - Hyam has a record of 24 points from 13 games which is also excellent.