BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 5/11/22

47 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We try and play it but give it away too often in midfield and further up so end up inviting pressure and naturally start to retreat and be more defensive and trying to keep it at the back. Away from home often teams just don't allow us to do it and they cut us off in midfield that's why we see the non events we often do.

Seems there's no other real plan when that happens as the idea is to get an early goal then defend deep.

There have been several instances this season when defending a lead Tomasson has brought on a centre half or defensive midfielder for a striker or attacking midfielder and is happy to sit in, absorb pressure and play on the break. In fairness it's difficult to criticise him because from memory we have hung on and won. But it's a risky game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

There have been several instances this season when defending a lead Tomasson has brought on a centre half or defensive midfielder for a striker or attacking midfielder and is happy to sit in, absorb pressure and play on the break. In fairness it's difficult to criticise him because from memory we have hung on and won. But it's a risky game.

It's not as risky as bringing on Hirst and leaving Dack sat on the bench.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It’s also playing into Burnley’s hands, so I hope we don’t see it next week!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

but isnt that the smart thing to do, damned if he does, damned if he doesnt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Garrett available....red card appeal proved right....was never a red card....shambolic referee....

I said at the time it  was more of an untidy challenge than a reckless or dangerous one. A yellow was merited, to take the heat out of things, but never a red.

On 02/11/2022 at 13:51, Miller11 said:

No makeshift right backs

No actual right backs at left back

No Brereton playing like an old fashioned winger

No strikers who are miles off the required standard

Less kamikaze passing in and around our own box

Don’t think any of the above is too much to ask. 

Sounds like we still have Mowbray in charge. 

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Masses of empty seating around the ground on seat booker....£18.75 not quite captured the public!

£19 in November isn’t a tenner in May, so of course there’s plenty of gaps , there’s 20,000 seats in the open home sections and we only have 8,700 ST holders so that’s a hell of a lot of tickets to sell. However, the JW and Riverside are certainly busier than normal on the Thursday before a game, so it will be a decent enough gate.

Edited by Mattyblue

Going to this one... Team for me

Kaminski

Brittain.    Haym.    Wharton.    Pickering

Morton.   A Wharton

Szmodics.      Dack.        Brereton

Gallagher

If Gallagher doesn't make it give Markanday a go on the left and Diaz up top. If Adam Wharton's shattered give Buckley a go.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Going to this one... Team for me

Kaminski

Brittain.    Haym.    Wharton.    Pickering

Morton.   A Wharton

Szmodics.      Dack.        Brereton

Gallagher

If Gallagher doesn't make it give Markanday a go on the left and Diaz up top. If Adam Wharton's shattered give Buckley a go.

Not bad, certainly creative  but a bit short of tackles in midfield.

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

No excuses for this game - we are playing bottom of the league at home.

It has to be a nailed on three points.

Going to have to be a fairly big stake to make some good money this weekend Merce at that price. How much you putting down? 

15 hours ago, Tricky said:

but isnt that the smart thing to do, damned if he does, damned if he doesnt

I personally don't believe it's particularly smart to camp in and around your own penalty area inviting pressure. If we were the yards further up field to deny the opposition space it would be far better in my view.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I personally don't believe it's particularly smart to camp in and around your own penalty area inviting pressure. If we were the yards further up field to deny the opposition space it would be far better in my view.

We simply have to find a way to get the back line further forward. I watched city play Seville the other night. Two teams playing the same way with regards to playing out from the back. Seville looked like how we play . Panicking around the goalkeeper why city pressed “ with intensity”. Citys back line on the other hand  , played almost on the half way line, the wing backs where bombing down the wings like prime 90s Rovers .  The keeper was at the edge of the box after three passes with nothing to do and the rest of the team was already closing down Seville once a move broke down,  in numbers,  to start the next attack from Seville half. Seville mean while gave the ball away time and again Inviting pressure and chances and the keeper was rushed into hurried kicks and mistakes. 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Not bad, certainly creative  but a bit short of tackles in midfield.

Id agree but Morton and Wharton looked physical enough against Hull who are a physical side. We know Buckley can put his foot in tok.

Im not sure keeping Travis in really makes sense at the moment. Hes not performing that well, and all the other midfielders are better technically which helps a lot with the quicker movement of the ball JDT wants. Give him a rest and bring him on if needed is my view...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Id agree but Morton and Wharton looked physical enough against Hull who are a physical side. We know Buckley can put his foot in tok.

Im not sure keeping Travis in really makes sense at the moment. Hes not performing that well, and all the other midfielders are better technically which helps a lot with the quicker movement of the ball JDT wants. Give him a rest and bring him on if needed is my view...

Disagree. We looked short physically in the middle of the park on Tuesday vs. Cov and playing Travis at right wing back for nearly the whole game was an absolutely bonkers choice when we had Brittain playing left back.

I think Travis has actually had a below average season so far with some sprinklings of better performances, but we missed his guile on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree with keeping Trav out. Out of the regular starters he has been our worst performer this year imo. It takes courage to drop your captain though, and if the rumours of a rift with Dack are true, could JDT survive pissing Trav off before January too? Both are hugely popular figures in the dressing room

But for this game I would, he looked leggy last week, and it's as good a reason as any

My team

Kaminski

Brittain Carter Hyam Wharton Pickering

Morton Wharton Garrett

Brereton Hedges

Switch out Hedges for Gally or Dolan if he isn't fit.

If A Wharton needs a rest play Szmodics.

They are all big games this season, whether we are playing the fancied teams or those who are struggling to put some form together. Huddersfield are definitely in the latter category, but as we have seen to our dismay in similar ties, Rovers seem to have a bit of a blind spot for beating the more workmanlike and direct opponents.

We need creativity, calm and quality in spades on Saturday, but also we need a steady hand to continue to develop some of the good things that are coming out of this season. I definitely agree with the observations around Ayala (inviting pressure on the back line), Travis (way too negative and prone to conceding possession), Szmodics (hasn't found his niche yet - but showed glimpses of what he can do) and Adam Wharton (looks knackered, is leggy, concedes possession easily in dangerous areas, but already looks like a good football brain). Jury is out on Dack - does lots of pressing, but his best game comes when he is given the chance to unlock defences  - will JDT give him that chance tomorrow?

We have plenty in the tank to see off Huddersfield comfortably, but nothing can be taken for granted with the Rovers at the moment.

I'm hoping for a 3-0 romp, with an early goal settling the nerves and helping build confidence to keep Hudds on the back foot.

I'm nervous as feck that going 0-1 down might undo all the hard work that has been done so far.

Perhaps tomorrow will be our first score draw of the season.

Whatever, I will be there to cheer the Rovers on, and hoping for a decent result to take us onwards to the Turd with some optimism.

COYB!!

24 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I agree with keeping Trav out. Out of the regular starters he has been our worst performer this year imo. It takes courage to drop your captain though, and if the rumours of a rift with Dack are true, could JDT survive pissing Trav off before January too? .

Slightly contradictory statement there.  You agree with JDT but question if he'll get sacked for dropping the woeful Travis.  It doesn't take courage, Lowe does it regular over at nobend,  he drops Browne a lot, puts Whiteman as captain...

We need a new midfielder to replace Travis and Buckley in January....that could be the missing link for promotion.....these young lads can't do it all themselves and LT and JB have proved they are bog standard championship players.

• Like 3