BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 5/11/22

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Surprised to see the level of criticism on here for the two Wharton's - as has been pointed out by my sparring partner MP,  in general when Scott plays we win and when he doesn't we don't. Also although I only caught the second half last night I thought Adam was our most likely looking player so I certainly wouldn't be dropping him either. If anyone I'd be looking at Travis who gave the ball away time after time last night and seems to have completely lost his mojo.

I'm not sure either why people are clamouring for the return of Gallagher, he won't bring anything particular to the party, a classic case of a player improving in people's minds during their absence. We need BBD to pull out one final effort before the World Cup break and improve on his showing last night and then do what we failed to do last January and in the summer and sign a decent striker.

I know we all have our own opinion, but I don't really know how anyone could watch the match last night and not think that Gallagher might have helped the team. 

Brereton plays better with Pickering behind him. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not sure either why people are clamouring for the return of Gallagher, he won't bring anything particular to the party, a classic case of a player improving in people's minds during their absence. We need BBD to pull out one final effort before the World Cup break and improve on his showing last night and then do what we failed to do last January and in the summer and sign a decent striker.

Frustrating player for sure but before his injury didn't he score 3 goals in 4 games?

Brereton is due a goal.

• Like 5

Don't think we need 3 CB's to deal with Huddersfield's attack. 4ATB on Saturday for me. Their back line lacks speed. Some decent defenders but much like ours, they're not massively mobile. Would have the trickier ones on, the likes of Dolan & Markanday (who definitely deserves a shot despite my slight concerns about him).

Kaminski

Brittain
Hyam
S. Wharton
Pickering

Travis
Morton

Markanday
Dack
Brereton Díaz

Dolan

Based on no Hedges or Gallagher available.

Edited by JoeH

Am I alone in thinking our team suffers when Ayala plays? Granted he is a good defender but he stiffles the play when we build from the back.

Like against Brum use him as a sub later on the game when we under attack. 

Is it coincidence we win four on the bounce without him and then put in a lethargic performance with him back in?

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Am I alone in thinking our team suffers when Ayala plays? Granted he is a good defender but he stiffles the play when we build from the back.

Is it coincidence we win four on the bounce without him and then put in a lethargic performance with him back in?

I have been thinking this for a while now. As good as he is as a defender (probably our best in truth) he is slow and ponderous on the ball and only usually plays the way he is facing. He plays safe and very rarely tries a longer pass. It's a conundrum really when you consider what I think are his strengths and weaknesses. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

We have 21 points from the 13 games in which Ayala has played 45 minutes or more and 12 points from the 6 games in which he hasn't , so those statistics would back up your opinion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BigBar said:

Lads I'm over the weekend (5th Nov) for the Hudds game. What's the craic with the trains? I'm staying in Manchester, is there any running or all cancelled for the day? Conflicting messages on the rail websites. Any advice be great.

Unsure on trains, but you can get the x41 bus from Manchester to Accy, and then head onwards from there via bus/taxi. 

Shouldn't be settling for anything but a win here. Forget the wing backs out of position nonsense from Midweek. Can see Huddersfield sitting fairly deep. Backing up a loss with a win means this week isnt a complete disaster. 

Kaminski

Brittain  Hyam Ayala Pickering

Morton Travis Wharton

Dack

BBD Gallagher

Out of interest does anyone know how our points tally this season compares with the same number of games last year?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I have been thinking this for a while now. As good as he is as a defender (probably our best in truth) he is slow and ponderous on the ball and only usually plays the way he is facing. He plays safe and very rarely tries a longer pass. It's a conundrum really when you consider what I think are his strengths and weaknesses. 

For the intented style of football which JDT wants to play (keep the ball, high press etc) I think Ayala is the least cultured of our centre halves to play in that sort of system.

In reality though, where we spend large chunks of each game sitting back, inviting pressure and defending balls into the box, he's vital IMO.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, benhben said:

Shouldn't be settling for anything but a win here. Forget the wing backs out of position nonsense from Midweek. Can see Huddersfield sitting fairly deep. Backing up a loss with a win means this week isnt a complete disaster. 

Kaminski

Morton Travis Wharton

Dack

BBD Gallagher

Out of interest does anyone know how our points tally this season compares with the same number of games last year?

We had 30 points after 19 games last season.

11 hours ago, BigBar said:

Lads I'm over the weekend (5th Nov) for the Hudds game. What's the craic with the trains? I'm staying in Manchester, is there any running or all cancelled for the day? Conflicting messages on the rail websites. Any advice be great.

Whilst it is just possible that the odd train might run I would work on the principle that there won't be any and revert to buses.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, benhben said:

Kaminski

Morton Travis Wharton

Dack

BBD Gallagher

After 19 we had 30 points so 3 better off. 

32 minutes ago, benhben said:

Kaminski

Morton Travis Wharton

Dack

BBD Gallagher

Love that line up. Think we'd be a real handful.

35 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

For the intented style of football which JDT wants to play (keep the ball, high press etc) I think Ayala is the least cultured of our centre halves to play in that sort of system.

In reality though, where we spend large chunks of each game sitting back, inviting pressure and defending balls into the box, he's vital IMO.

I agree and to an extent therein lies the problem as under Tomasson we haven't seen a defined style of play. He talks about how he wants to play in a progressive, passing style but the truth is we have seen little evidence of this. He himself has targeted the World Cup break as time to work with the players to impose more of his intended way of playing on them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The issue when Ayala plays is his lack of pace seems to lead to us sitting too deep. That increases the gaps between our defence and midfield and contributes to our inability to play it out from the back. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I agree and to an extent therein lies the problem as under Tomasson we haven't seen a defined style of play. He talks about how he wants to play in a progressive, passing style but the truth is we have seen little evidence of this. He himself has targeted the World Cup break as time to work with the players to impose more of his intended way of playing on them. 

We try and play it but give it away too often in midfield and further up so end up inviting pressure and naturally start to retreat and be more defensive and trying to keep it at the back. Away from home often teams just don't allow us to do it and they cut us off in midfield that's why we see the non events we often do.

Seems there's no other real plan when that happens as the idea is to get an early goal then defend deep.

13 hours ago, BigBar said:

On Saturday all Northern rail trains from preston to blackburn are cancelled I don't know about from Manchester, but if they are operated by Northern Rail they will not be running. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Good post. I spotted early on that alot of our problems stem  from Ayala. He's good on the ball but the interminable playing out from the back invariably gets us into trouble and he's usually the one who gives the ball away. The defeats at Reading, Luton and Coventry were cases in point

I prefer Hyam and Wharton in a conventional 4-man defence with 2 full backs.  The 3-man defence including Ayala with 2 wing backs only encourages him to play the ball around - to absolutely no effect. If Ayala plays he needs to be instructed to get the ball to the front men quicker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBar said:

Cheers mate...will it take 8 hours?🤣

X41 from St Peter's Square at 11.11 will get you to Accrington at 12.29. Then a 7 from there at 12.38 will get you to Blackburn Bus Station by 13.19. the X41 is hourly and the 7 every 20 minutes.

• Like 1