BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

Dreamworld is:

Tall angry physical central midfielder who can disrupt a team.  Ideally Scandinavian with a beard. 

Alternative striker/second striker who can play the pressing game and chip in with goals

Full back who is defensive minded and serviceable on either side OR out and out wing back on the right hand side who can play as understudy to Britain when fit (loan?)

Central midfielder who plays a different game to Buckley/Morton who plays slightly further up the field and can link our deeper midfielders/inside wingbacks to our strikers in games we can't get into.  

Based on rumours if we bring in Demebele that hits the target for a striker for me.  I fancied Simms over the summer too who's landed at Sunderland.  Otherwise a Danny Graham character or Grabban as Forest did could chip some goals in (Is Kienan Davies still at villa?)

Ebowele from Palace on loan fits the wing back.  Otherwise Norton Cuffey at Arsenal on loan somewhere (Rotheram) can play on either side. 

Berget from Malmö fits the attacking midfielder and we'd be after a lump of a central midfielder which I'm sure Nordic and league one could suffice.  I've heard the name Magennis from Hibs but don't watch Scottish football so can't say what role he fits or whether it's just talk. 

Wouldn't be hell bent on losing Edun on the basis 5 subs and his engine could be useful as season drags on although manager doesn't fancy him 

16 hours ago, davulsukur said:

He'd be a stop gap for sure if JDT decided to approach. Don't really know much about him but a bit of experience, might not go a miss in our squad. (I'd prefer pace though!)

No idea how good he is though. 

Why not give Berget a 1,5 year deal to prove himself? He would be a step up from Tayo Edun surely and has massive influence.

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes, I don’t think he’s going to make the step up. Just another one in the long line of  “Mowbray’s misfits”. Does he actually know what a left back should look like ?

Never really worked out what Edun's best position really was (or supposed to be) but yeah, not good enough in any case.

There are a few angles to approach the transfer drama last Jan but despite the fact we know there are bullshitters at the club belonging to the owners i'll never hang my hat on anything Coyle says.

This man brought in Stokes for a start then he was trying his best to get a couple of his former players through the door at Ewood who were complete no marks.  Remember the agency he'd never heard of ?  His name was also on Wes Brown and Gordon Greer, combined ages nearly 80 combined wages god know what.

So lets not be holding Coyle up as some beacon of honesty.

As for TM well he also told fans not to expect the AA money to be reinvested then said the same when he thought BBD was about to leave.  He then flipped the coin and told everyone he wanted to let Rothwell go and reinvest that money in a few players he had lined up.

So what in gods name made him suddenly think if he'd sold Rothwell then there'd be money to straight away reinvest ?

Nothing, he was just bullshitting because all he wanted was to help Joe get his big move and have the ' i developed this player' in his cap. Handy when pitching for a new contract then blaming non top 6 on having to sell a key player, Mowbray was full of cliched football excuses like a walking encyclopedia of it.

What he did with the players he brought in - funds or no funds - showed what he was all about. How many people tried tell me Markanday was the forward option we needed but he got injured when i was saying why are they buying a kid like that when we are needing bods for promotion.

Hirst has more pedigree than Markanday had he was never going to be anything other than another bit part development player.

Sod Mowbray and screw Owen Coyle they both should be on their knees to Venkys for the money they earnt here and the chances there were given after being on the scrapheap.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I suppose it doesn't fit the narrative to say Venky's turned down millions for BBD and Rothwell in the last 12 months, and that we had one of the largest net spends in the division this summer. 

It isn't an effective way to run a football club to block the managers attempts to sell players and reinvest, that in itself massively reduces funds available.

We were 2nd and spent 700k and got in a couple of loanees. They could have gone for it (not even necessarily as much as Bournemouth but look at what they did) but they chose not to.

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

'The club don't want promotion' conspiracy theory was trotted out regularly in the 1980's too. 

Crazy talk. 

Couldn't afford to go up then, i was told that by two players at the club ..

I was recovering form a bad knee injury at the time and spent some time recovering ,lot's of talk that Rovers couldn't afford to go up..

58 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

For those who haven't heard this before or don't want to listen to Coyle, I'll summarise.

Coyle claims he had 5 signings lined up for the January 2017 window but no money was forthcoming to sign them.

Coyle then says a director of football at the club (Not sure who he is referring to) was putting it out there that he "doesn't know why Owen hasn't brought any players in, there's money available". A total lie, according to Coyle. He thinks the owners were happy for him to take the flak but suggests that as soon as he said "I don't know where the money is", they didn't like that. Now, does that sound familiar? I.e. The narrative that Mowbray had money to spend in January yet he chose not to bring players in? Where's that coming from exactly, would be my question. I'd argue that pinning the lack of signings on Mowbray shields the owners in some way and deflects the blame away from them.

We've had a few on here claim that Mowbray had players lined up, I.e Dembele, Wallace etc and was waiting for funds which didn't arrive. Similar to what Coyle is claiming in the video above about his own experience.

On the other hand, others claim that the January debacle was all on Mowbray who had money available but decided not to spend it. I seem to remember one of the tea and biscuit crew being adamant that Mowbray was to blame. Hmm. Nothing against him, more with who potentially could have told him that.

I guess it depends on who you believe. Coyle and, allegedly, Mowbray, or posters with 'sources' telling them it was all on the manager. One of those sides paint the owners as the issue, the other pins it on the manager and makes the owners look good. They can't both be right. Having thought about it, I actually believe the managers in this instance.

Why am I going on about this? Well, the transfer window is open and the early sounds are that JDT and Broughton have buttons to work with. I've laid into both at times, mainly Broughton for his, IMO, disappointing signings overall, but I'm going to hold back from that for now and see what happens during this and the summer window. It's quite easy for the new boys to be in the firing line, with the blame going in their direction, something which I think the hierarchy wouldn't mind at all. 12 years of the same old shit happening tells us what the real issue us.

I agree with this. 

I have heard from several people the theory that there was money available at various stages in the last few transfer windows, but that Mowbray decided not to spend it. 

It's a difficult one to interpret. I know Mowbray is an odd one, some of his decisions whilst manager prove that, and we know he kept on about 'trust' with the owners, so I suppose it isn't beyond imagination to think that he chose not to spend in some effort to impress the owners or win credit that he wasn't spending for the sake of it. It also wouldn't surprise me if he had certain 'principles' on bringing people into the club in January that might dislodge his favourite players.

On the flip side, particularly looking at last January, it simply doesn't add up that a professional football manager, with promotion to the PL dangling in front of his nose at the mid-way point of the season wouldn't do absolutely everything he could to try and secure that. This lends some weight to the suggestion that there actually wasn't much money available or that blame lies with the owners.

Now 'money available' can mean anything to be honest. It can 'flex' on the wage bill to bring a few loans in - like we managed when we brought in Harwood Bellis and Branthwaite that January. It can mean relatively small sums available for cash signings, but obviously those can only complete if the player in question is willing to join on our wage budget and doesn't get a better offer elsewhere. 

I certainly believe there is a concentrated effort from people employed by the club to shield and protect the owners from any criticism or blame. I think this runs from Pasha and Waggott down, rubs off on lower ranking staff and then permeates through into people who are in contact with people at the club. Before you know it a throwaway comment is repeated and becomes fact.

One thing I think we can safely say, based on conduct, is that the owners have little to no interest in what is happening on the pitch at any given time. Go back to Coyle's days and he wouldn't have lasted until February if they did, Mowbray would have been binned much earlier, and even mid-season last year when it was clear he'd lost the plot. With that in mind I find it quite hard to believe that they will respond to events on pitch to make money available to strengthen accordingly. 

These people react after the event in their own good time. 

I remember the talk that one of the owners had suddenly decided to offer a massive bonus to the players last year if they got us promoted. Didn't happen. The players might well have very lucrative bonus clauses in their existing contracts in the event we get promoted but those will have been agreed when they joined. Venkys didn't and would find it a very difficult task to offer every player a massive bonus in the middle of last season - it would require new contracts or amended contracts for everyone.

So yeah, I hate to say it but think I am inclined to agree with old Coyle - it lies with the owners.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

'The club don't want promotion' conspiracy theory was trotted out regularly in the 1980's too. 

Crazy talk. 

While I doubt they would turn their noses up at stumbling to a promotion, there’s been nothing to suggest they have tried to make it happen in a decade.

Crazy talk is hardly surprising. Everything about Venky’s ownership remains illogical, nonsensical and crazy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

There are a few angles to approach the transfer drama last Jan but despite the fact we know there are bullshitters at the club belonging to the owners i'll never hang my hat on anything Coyle says.

This man brought in Stokes for a start then he was trying his best to get a couple of his former players through the door at Ewood who were complete no marks.  Remember the agency he'd never heard of ?  His name was also on Wes Brown and Gordon Greer, combined ages nearly 80 combined wages god know what.

So lets not be holding Coyle up as some beacon of honesty.

As for TM well he also told fans not to expect the AA money to be reinvested then said the same when he thought BBD was about to leave.  He then flipped the coin and told everyone he wanted to let Rothwell go and reinvest that money in a few players he had lined up.

So what in gods name made him suddenly think if he'd sold Rothwell then there'd be money to straight away reinvest ?

Nothing, he was just bullshitting because all he wanted was to help Joe get his big move and have the ' i developed this player' in his cap. Handy when pitching for a new contract then blaming non top 6 on having to sell a key player, Mowbray was full of cliched football excuses like a walking encyclopedia of it.

What he did with the players he brought in - funds or no funds - showed what he was all about. How many people tried tell me Markanday was the forward option we needed but he got injured when i was saying why are they buying a kid like that when we are needing bods for promotion.

Hirst has more pedigree than Markanday had he was never going to be anything other than another bit part development player.

Sod Mowbray and screw Owen Coyle they both should be on their knees to Venkys for the money they earnt here and the chances there were given after being on the scrapheap.

I agree that both of them have a propensity to bullshit and waffle, so we can't take everything they say as being spot on.

However, I think they have at times put truths out there too which give an indication of what it's really like to work under these owners. Coyle says Hanley and Duffy were sold from under him and he was told he could only use one of their salaries to replace the two of them. I can fully believe that based on how these owners operate.

I think that possibly explains the Brown and Greer signings too. Both desperate signings, both coming to the end of their careers. I don't think their combined wages would have been all that high, as they were aged 35/36 and signed on 1 year deals I think. It's possible that one of those Duffy/Hanley salaries covered both Brown and Greer.

This is in no way a defence of Coyle, but the truth is he wasn't backed with the funds to make proper signings. Loans, frees and 200k on Derrick Williams is not backing. Just like the loans, frees and £500k on Markanday for Mowbray last January is not backing.

It could be said in Coyle's case, that it's just as well that he didn't receive a good budget, when we consider Stokes and the possibility of him picking out some right plodders to blow the money on. The point being made though is that the owners are the real problem and have form for making things difficult for their managers.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I think saying "we've lost on out on Malcolm Ebiowei" (Jackson's comment?) is misleading. By the sound of it, Palace want guarantees that he'll be in the starting XI, and perhaps Rovers and QPR have told them to do one.

I'm not a fan of loaning Premier League youngsters, unless they have the quality to truly help us, like Elliott and Tosin did. I think Ebiowei is close to that bracket. Cracking player, pacey, just what we could do with.

I'd be disappointed to see him go to another Championship club, although I'm not sure how firm our interest is.

I don't get the whole mowbray wouldn't spend the money or wanted us to fail. Either he goes up with a club and gets another crack at the premier league. Or he misses out and goes anyway but surely we'd of finished better than we did. Meaning he'd of had more options. He's landed on his feet really at Sunderland, they seem to be doing alright and have a chairman willing to spend.