BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Morton had another game yesterday where he did little that was incisive and lost the ball a few times. Not our worst performer, but no one looked at that performance and thought thats what a premier league midfield needs. As it stands he wouldnt get into Sheffield Utds midfield, let alone Liverpool's.

As I've said, both Garrett and A. Wharton have taken a game by the scruff of the neck in very limited starting appearances.

Morton has started pretty much every game and has never done that. I don't understand the hype about him at all - he's an alright Championship CM.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I don't think anyone on here would be able to argue that group of centre backs are of top 6 quality. 

Hyam yes. Wharton has big question marks. Phillips and Barnes have little to no experience. Carter, I'd actually be open to selling or loaning to a championship club. He's OK, but I think lower level championship might be his limit. 

I'd keep Carter - who's never let us down and can play CB and RB - and sell JRC. I'd loan / sell Barnes too. 

• Like 2

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23251482.tomasson-transfer-search-amid-blackburn-rovers-joe-gelhardt-link/

What is this obsession with flexibility in attack? We need an out and out striker, whoever has played in that position this season for us has struggled to score goals due to a lack of quality. Gallagher is average, Vale nowhere near ready, we need a proper striker.

Gelhardt in terms of talent is probably as good as we will get now we seemingly are working in the loan market whilst we allow our best player to run his deal down, but he isn't really a proper number 9. If it has to be a loan we are almost certainly going to struggle to get a proven goalscorer, but even the likes of Archer, Delap and potentially Muniz would be more suited to being the focal point?

On Porteous, I just hope it isn't due to Hyam having a bad injury. It makes sense to pick up bargains whenever they appear although made redundant if we just allow him to run his deal down anyway.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Edun pulled from the starting line-up at the last minute. Probably off to tie up his Charlton loan.

I'm surprised he hasn't been given more of a chance here in the left wing-back role which Pickering cannot fulfil.

He is terrible. Any time he appears at left back/left wing back, his positioning is shocking. Not a Championship player.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

As I've said, both Garrett and A. Wharton have taken a game by the scruff of the neck in very limited starting appearances.

Morton has started pretty much every game and has never done that. I don't understand the hype about him at all - he's an alright Championship CM.

thats a nice way of putting it,personally on morton i think he`s an airy,fairy ponce who has one eye on a liverpool first team place(which is never going to happen,ever,ever,ever) and is going through the motions here because he does`nt want an injury,very disapointed in him

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Is there really hype around Morton other than Liverpool has given him a new contract? I think your assesment is correct, he's an allright Championship midfielder, not more. His game time is more down to that he's the one midfielder that has been fairly consistent, while the same can't be said about the rest (Buckley, Travis, Wharton).

I think both Buckley and especially Wharton has more potential. I'm a big fan of Buckley and expected him to really establish himself as one of the better midfielder in this division, fair to say it hasn't happened so far, but he looked good after the WC break only for the red card to put a stop. Adam Wharton might potentially be the best passer at the club since Tugay, but still needs a lot of improvement on defensive part of his game. It was clear watching him last season for the U18/U23 that the he needed a bit more hunger for the defensive part of being a midfielder. He's improved a lot, but I can see why he is not starting every game.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, J*B said:

I think Gelhardt is coming. 

Does anyone know what Gelhardt's strengths and weaknesses are? would he suit how Rovers play under JDT?

16 hours ago, callumrovers said:

smart recruitment and this is the type of signing we should be making. targeting players with less than 12 months left on the contract. Low fees. Rovers need to use this market more. 

14 hours ago, Mike E said:

Make no mistake, while not a priority, I would absolutely take Porteous for a fee of less than £1m.

That would be a genuinely amazing signing imo. Perhaps some intent on returning to 3 cbs? Or prep for Ayala leaving maybe?

What are his strengths and weaknesses Mike? 

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We need an out and out striker,

Guess it depends who available and the budget we have. 

49 minutes ago, briansol said:

Is there really hype around Morton other than Liverpool has given him a new contract? I think your assesment is correct, he's an allright Championship midfielder, not more. His game time is more down to that he's the one midfielder that has been fairly consistent, while the same can't be said about the rest (Buckley, Travis, Wharton).

I think both Buckley and especially Wharton has more potential. I'm a big fan of Buckley and expected him to really establish himself as one of the better midfielder in this division, fair to say it hasn't happened so far, but he looked good after the WC break only for the red card to put a stop. Adam Wharton might potentially be the best passer at the club since Tugay, but still needs a lot of improvement on defensive part of his game. It was clear watching him last season for the U18/U23 that the he needed a bit more hunger for the defensive part of being a midfielder. He's improved a lot, but I can see why he is not starting every game.

One of the strengths that Wharton has over the other midfielders is hes a good tackler as well as ball player

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Does anyone know what Gelhardt's strengths and weaknesses are? would he suit how Rovers play under JDT?

smart recruitment and this is the type of signing we should be making. targeting players with less than 12 months left on the contract. Low fees. Rovers need to use this market more. 

No, we need a striker, that isn’t open to debate. Wether we get one or not is.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Seemingly just loans, but we can surely loan a striker rather than a winger. Tomasson specifically said that it won't necessarily be a striker:

“An attacking player for me could be a No.9, on the sides, and it’s about what’s possible and what’s not."

When Mowbray didn't want to loan a young striker, he got lynched so surely Tomasson will likewise if he doesn't sign a proper striker. Our current options are not up to scratch.

Obviously the bigger issue is having to only sign kids on loan amidst a supposed promotion push. 

After this month, we have 18 league games.

I will use a fairly low ballpark figure of £8m as what I reckon we could get for Brereton, less than the summer but still there surely will be teams willing to take a small risk at that price. 

If we choose to keep him and expect an unrealistic amount, we will be paying over £400k per game, not factoring in potential injuries which would increase that further.

It is horrendous business, surely we have to sell and sign a striker and a winger.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

I think that's what other clubs are trying to arrange (Udinese, I think?), so bidding for him outright may be how we get our man.

Only if he is eager to move now. If he doesn't mind waiting til the end of the season, he would still be in his rights to reject us and sign his pre contract with Udinese for example, regardless of if we bid money now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I will use a fairly low ballpark figure of £8m as what I reckon we could get for Brereton, less than the summer but still there surely will be teams willing to take a small risk at that price. 

If we choose to keep him and expect an unrealistic amount, we will be paying over £400k per game, not factoring in potential injuries which would increase that further.

It is horrendous business, surely we have to sell and sign a striker and a winger.

Very good points, there are other things to factor in though.

• There's a sell-on clause (I believe) due to Forest which will suck up some of the money.
  • Could we get a better player in that might carry us intro the top 6.
  • Brereton Diaz is still playing his heart out so I don't see his attitude as an issue.
  • Venky's play hardball on valuation so I can't see them dropping the price to £8m, bear in mind that January signings are usually overpriced. The reward of reaching the play-offs would also mean more income.
  • Finally he may be looking for a pre-contract deal with a Spanish club.

One reason to sell him, on top of the fee would be the wages savings, like you said, horrendous business.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Seemingly just loans, but we can surely loan a striker rather than a winger. Tomasson specifically said that it won't necessarily be a striker:

“An attacking player for me could be a No.9, on the sides, and it’s about what’s possible and what’s not."

When Mowbray didn't want to loan a young striker, he got lynched so surely Tomasson will likewise if he doesn't sign a proper striker. Our current options are not up to scratch.

Obviously the bigger issue is having to only sign kids on loan amidst a supposed promotion push. 

is Gelhardt not a number 9/striker? 

he is 21 years old? is that a kid really? 

Is Ryan Porteous a kid being 23 years old? 

We don't have the money to go out there to sign a proven striker at this level but our market is signing a loan player or risk on player from overseas or someone who has 6 months left on the contract? 

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Edun pulled from the starting line-up at the last minute. Probably off to tie up his Charlton loan.

I'm surprised he hasn't been given more of a chance here in the left wing-back role which Pickering cannot fulfil.

The reason he's up for loan is because hes been looked at in that position and isn't up to it i'm surprised anyone is even questioning that.

As a squad player i'm surprised he hasn't had more of  a chance in his natural midfield position.

7 minutes ago, Roversider said:

• There's a sell-on clause (I believe) due to Forest which will suck up some of the money.
  • Brereton Diaz is still playing his heart out so I don't see his attitude as an issue.
  • Venky's play hardball on valuation so I can't see them dropping the price to £8m, bear in mind that January signings are usually overpriced. The reward of reaching the play-offs would also mean more income.

One reason to sell him, on top of the fee would be the wages savings, like you said, horrendous business.

Sell on clauses I think are usually on profit so if we sold for £8m it would be a nominal amount.

We would then be able to improve the attack with 2 players and get a midfielder too potentially. Could we sign someone of equal goal threat to Brereton individually? Maybe not, but you'd find a much better player with the best part of £8m compared to nothing.

The owners wont because they are idiots and as you say, maybe he would rather wait anyway, but its a joke of a situation.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

is Gelhardt not a number 9/striker? 

he is 21 years old? is that a kid really? 

Is Ryan Porteous a kid being 23 years old? 

We don't have the money to go out there to sign a proven striker at this level but our market is signing a loan player or risk on player from overseas or someone who has 6 months left on the contract? 

Every time I have seen him, he isn't an out and out number 9, talented player but likes to drop off and possibly better suited off a main striker.

We should have a bit of money but the owners are disinterested in any promotion push.

Failing that, we could sell Brereton and bring in a few permanent signings.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roversider said:

I think we sell him now, £8m and a 25% sell on clause.

In the hope he sells for £20-£25m in the future.

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It might not even be our choice.

If you were Brererton would you move with 6 months left on your deal when you can choose the offer that suits you best?

Even in the summer he didn't appear that fussed over us not accepting the bids.

Just now, islander200 said:

It might not even be our choice.

If you were Brererton would you move with 6 months left on your deal when you can choose the offer that suits you best?

Even in the summer he didn't appear that fussed over us not accepting the bids.

It should never have been allowed to get to this stage, sadly we are owned by idiots.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gelhardt suits a team that likes to press from the front from what I’ve seen and read, think he’d be a good fit for us. Leeds fans rate him very highly. 

• Like 1