BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

3 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

They went from winning the league and making it through to the group stage of the champions league from the first qualifying round to finishing seventh in the league, getting knocked out of the second round of qualifying for the champions league but won the cup. Think every one with a pulse would say that it is a drop off in performance

Edit:: Also managed to get less points in the europa league group than they did the championship league group (only one mind)

It obviously is a drop but it's been one season since he has left, a season in which they won a trophy. You said check them out pre and post Tomasson as if there was years of struggle before and after. 

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

To get a couple of million back for him in summer and his wages freed up would possibly be the smartest move anybody at this club could make.

Yeap…If Gally scores a few in this 2nd half of the season then I can see clubs wanting him. Wasnt there a slight interest from Boro at one stage? Also I can really see him joining his old boss Moggers up in the north east….Make it happen tony! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

This was said last January about this summer and we spent,not absolute fortunes but money was still spent and we did have the highest net spend.

Still time for one or two to come in ,we must have something to play with hence the bid for Porteous and attempts to bring in Kone,Undav and Gerhaldt we would have been paying a significant portion of their wages we wouldn't have been getting them for nothing 

The net spend thing is somewhat misleading. Whilst we do, we still spend very little overall because of the lack of sales due to the owners unwillingness to sell while they still add value. Im sure I read that Boro have spent £50m whilst earning £70m in recent years.

10 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeah, Gallagher has to be sold in summer…. It’s currently looking like Raya possibly leaving in summer is our only hope of having money to spend. 

definately,while not a bad player he does`nt play his weight at all,the lad is 6"4 ffs he should be a monster,to be fair though he is not helped by being messed around on the wing or on the right side

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

I have heard second hand from a staff member that JDT is indeed unhappy, has interest from Germany and is keen to leave. Don't shoot the messenger.

Well done on kicking off the meltdown with not a lot in the overall scheme of things... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

So to sum up another day on the transfer thread:

We've not signed anyone, the wage bill is being slashed by 25% in the summer, and JDT is currently saying his Auf Wiedersehen's to the staff and fucking off to Germany? 

Yes but despite all this Chaddy thinks we'll be fine and sign a few players so not sure what the negativity is all about?

• Like 6

Calm down... we do have some great young talent in Carter, Rankin-Costello, Phillips, Buckley , A.Wharton, Garrett, Markanday, Batty, Dolan all blooded in the championship this season ....... still think that Rankin-Costello can do a great job in midfeld when Brittain is back.

Edited by neophox

1 minute ago, neophox said:

Calm down... we do have some great young talent in Carter, Rankin-Costello, Phillips, Buckley ,Garrett, Markanday, Batty, Dolan .... still think that Rankin-Costello can do a great job in midfeld when Brittain is back.

Jesus, these are all lower championship players.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, yeti-dog said:

Talk about covering all your bases: you don't rate him but will be kicking off if he walks.

Sounds like either way you're ready to go ballistic in around 4 months time. Maybe time to practice a bit of mindfulness...

I said I'm not his biggest fan. He still has money in the bank with us being in play off positions.  It's the fact another manager will have walked due to being lied to and not properly backed 

Just now, neophox said:

Calm down... we do have some great young talent in Carter, Rankin-Costello, Phillips, Buckley ,Garrett, Markanday, Batty, Dolan .... still think that Rankin-Costello can do a great job in midfeld when Brittain is back.

you don`t get to many matches then???,our midfield is as weak as poorly kitten and we don`t create many chances let alone score many goals,2 midfielders and a centre forward was the minimum requirement

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, neophox said:

Calm down... we do have some great young talent in Carter, Rankin-Costello, Phillips, Buckley , A.Wharton, Garrett, Markanday, Batty, Dolan all blooded in the championship this season ....... still think that Rankin-Costello can do a great job in midfeld when Brittain is back.

Jesus, I was calm until you highlighted this as a positive!!!😂

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeap…If Gally scores a few in this 2nd half of the season then I can see clubs wanting him. Wasnt there a slight interest from Boro at one stage? Also I can really see him joining his old boss Moggers up in the north east….Make it happen tony! 

If they lose their main man i can very much see Mowbray wanting Gally as a replacement as he transitions them to wide forwards.

Trouble is these lunatics will slap 15 million on him.

Have to say that if we are to accept that this year is about bedding in, getting used to the system and not expecting promotion then I would have Adam Wharton start every game regardless of form. Give him a proper crack of the whip and let's see if is what we think he is. A full season in the championship at 18 is invaluable. If it's going to be a period of transition then make it worth while. This dampening of expectations whilst in a playoff position is absolutely absurd.

• Like 6

Broughton talks a good game and has a good record before arriving working with developing younger talent. He's broadly done a good job with us having a clear link between under 21 and first team. He's also been pro active renewing contracts and reorganising the backroom.

Problem is the main part of his job is player trading and he hasn't got any experience in pre rovers. He must be realising now how difficult this actually is and really what will inevitably define his time here. We haven't got any money (clearly as all our offers are nominal or loans) so we can't strike early and have to wait till prices drop. Also means we are limited in what we can get in and a couple of mil max doesn't get you a lot. We also aren't that competitive on wages so players mess us around until something better comes along. Also we are again limited in who we can get, pretty much rules out prem strikers on loan.

He had a tough situation in the summer and the results were a mixed bag (the biggest flops have been loans to buys which somewhat help his case), so I was withholding judgement until this window. And if the window closes tomorrow with no striker then its been an abject failure. 

It's all well and good talking about pathways for young players and all that but if we can't get players in, unpolished gems or just players who can just do the job, then we will start moving backwards not forwards.

• Like 2