BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

14 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Purely guess work by Nixon how would he have this info?? Ok he's a journalist but he might have realised, as GB stated, "external" & "internal" issues/factors that may never be released.  

I expect a lot of club staff are talking about it. Won't have taken long for someone involved to spill the beans, and once that happened, something like this, it would spread like wildfire through the staff. If he has even one contact at the club who likes a few quid on the side, he'll have a good chance of hearing it.

That said, I'm not sure I buy it. He got Brierley's basic info wrong (said he's a 17 year old striker when he's a 19 year old midfielder...I literally don't know how he got that wrong as I don't see anything online saying that). Also GB talked about 'issues beyond our control'. Failing to check the lad has ticked all the boxes, and spelling the name of the agent wrong...those are not beyond our control. The EFL playing silly buggers about the relegation clause is though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Smells of strategically trying to influence a change of opinion within the supporter base.

They know his article will come on here.

They also know many of us use twitter and will tweet this out to followers, which will get retweeted, then suddenly its the EFL's pettyness at fault.

Fair play, with the video today and these leaks, its certainly having an affect.

However i aint buying it, and maintain we need to remove all responsible including broughton. At £160k a year, an important window, a circa 200 million jackpot if we go up. He should of personally overseen the operation. Its 2 days a year he needs to be there ensuring its slick. No he was at the match, leaving others to do it.

His statement of "i was there at the medical, is devious, to plant a seed he was in the thick of it. Truth is he may have been at the medical but chose to go and watch the match.

EFL pettyness or not (the truth of Nicko's revelation will emerge presumably), I agree that senior management should have been overseeing these transactions at Ewood and Sylvester should not have been left alone to make sure they were completed correctly

Waggott seems most at fault to me and should carry the can.

I blame Broughton more for the general lack of transfer activity, and until the very last minute, and the fact he was also responsible for the Hirst debacle which could have left us with a £5m bill

With the amount of deals potentially going through close to the deadline and everything being submitted and possibly returned in real time the EFL must have a team of people manning the operation. 

The relegation clause is such an arbitrary thing to pick up on and dependent on the wording, legally speaking something which would have needed no clarification. It is also such a stupid request that you can guarantee there would be no consistency between those registering the deal. There is a clear argument that had this ridiculous request not been made there would have been plenty time for the correction of the misspelled name. 

If these are all the facts surrounding the O'brien deal then the EFL don't have a leg to stand on. Lawyer up Rovers.

• Like 3

On 02/02/2023 at 16:29, Mercer said:

I think the club statement is an embarrassment.  I think it's clear they messed up.

All that was needed was a two liner:

'We messed up and apologise to our fans, O'Brien and Brierley.  We are taking steps to ensure this doesn't happen again'.

Sorry, @Mercer ; you surely know that's far too honest for Waggott & Co.

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't entirely agree about O'Brien, from what's out there so far. The relegation clause is just silly, so that's one error...an extra 'e' at the end of a name. Whilst it is an error and does need clarifying, it needing clarifying before the 11pm deadline (if that's the one we missed) is just pedantry.

I thought the same with Brierley. Somebody said it was for identification purposes, but I've been thinking like you that you don't have to answer your ethnicity by law I think. However, there's usually a box for not wanting to answer, which probably should be ticked. On the other hand, if you can say you don't want to answer, it can't be needed for identification purposes.

You’ve got to expect a bit of pedantry on official paperwork though.

Thats a very odd question if it’s for identification purposes. I don’t know why nationality would be in there.

I think Glen nails it above. We can’t presume Nixon’s supplied reasons are the complete story.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I wouldn’t sign a box saying I'm 'British and white' I'm English and white 

It's neither here nor there as you're not the player, but...you're both British and English. And a northerner (presumably), etc.

I’m dubious at the best of times on Nixon’s info - he’s a red top gossip guy, not a serious journalist.

So I have no reason to start taking it seriously now.

As much as I’d like to agree what he’s being fed by the club, I’d side with Glen’s opinion that it won’t be the whole truth.

If it was and the EFL still decline the appeal; I could imagine a legal case commencing.

Be an interesting few days either way…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I blame Broughton more for the general lack of transfer activity, and until the very last minute, and the fact he was also responsible for the Hirst debacle which could have left us with a £5m bill

He's responsible for bringing in a flop. But the only way that £5 million bill was coming in was if we got promoted and Hirst played well enough during the promotion for us to think he could become a Premiership player. So basically it was never going to happen as it needed two extremely unlikely things to come off, and if those had both happened, we wouldn't have cared about spending it.

• Like 2

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Has to be more to it.

This is what’s called “taking control of the narrative”.

Honestly can’t believe those are the actual reasons.

Tend to agree. Also GB referenced "internal" issues numerous times in his interview, so clearly this wasn't just a case of EFL pettiness. Just seems far too convenient for this all to be due to pedantry. Surely the EFL would be hammered with lawsuits if they were this silly over documentation. I refuse to believe no other club in this window alone hasn't sent across a document with a slight mispelling on a name. I don't believe that for a second.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

We can't just start taking Nixons word as gospel surely?

Gregg said he'll disclose the reasons next week if they ask him, so lets see if he does.

It’s got to the state where I’d take Nixons word over GB’s. Someone has to be held responsible for this absolute debacle.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

You’ve got to expect a bit of pedantry on official paperwork though.

Thats a very odd question if it’s for identification purposes. I don’t know why nationality would be in there.

I think Glen nails it above. We can’t presume Nixon’s supplied reasons are the complete story.

A bit, but this sort of stuff is kinda beyond the pale, and I say that as a lifelong pedant.  Especially in terms of then also being pedantic on the timing of a reply. But hey.

I can see why nationality would be in there for identification, but I can't see why ethnicity would be in there. Presumably they submit a copy of the passport or something alongside it though? Which would say their bloody nationality. So it really is OTT pedantry for me.

I agree, I don't entirely trust Nixon's version of events yet either, for various reasons including that he's a bit of a hack who I'm sure would report whatever the club told him if they wanted to get a certain story out. May be no coincidence it dropping a few hours after GB's interview. However (and this is for whoever it was who said why are we taking it as gospel) for the time being it's all we have to go on, so it's worth discussing. Shouldn't be assumed it's true though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Question - is it a fact GB was at the match? I ask this as i read it on here from numerous posters.

I also ask as his claims of being at the medical, was this a.m or p.m? 

If its a.m he has done a great job of making people think pm. If it was pm, he cant possibly have been at the match

It's SW who is alleged to have been at the match. Not seen it from any official source.

• Like 1

I think the worse thing about this shit show is not only have we lost out on one of the biggest signings in the past 10 years but the fact this facade has turned the fan base slightly toxic again, probably at the worst time possible.

I can’t believe after last year’s January failure we are sat here one year on reflecting on a January that was 10 times worse. The appointment of GB was supposed to negate all these cockups.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Question - is it a fact GB was at the match? I ask this as i read it on here from numerous posters.

I also ask as his claims of being at the medical, was this a.m or p.m? 

If its a.m he has done a great job of making people think pm. If it was pm, he cant possibly have been at the match

It’s only Waggott and Pasha that were at the match, from what I’ve read.

• Like 1