BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Yes but it’s a free! Why would we turn our noses away at that? Who’s to say that he would be first choice anyway…think it’s defiantly worth a shot.

We don't need another wide forward who rarely scores, so why add him to the wage bill when that money could be put towards an actual striker who scores goals? They don't tend to come cheap so any money not wasted on players we don't need should be going towards that. 

• Like 5

Mark Harris as the striker target is pretty uninspiring. Who am I to assess a striker from Cardiff? Nobody, that much is true.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to understand the exact reasoning and mechanisms behind decisions and actions on the recruitment front. I get the Welsh association but it’s not a cutting-edge approach. Brittain, Hyam and now Thomas aside (assuming he makes a contribution and I feel he will) it doesn’t seem laser-focused, as yet.

I hope we can be more creative in the coming months to uncover genuinely exciting prospects or proven players. I hope hard work is being done in the background to ready the youngsters to make big contributions next year. Hope is essentially all I’ve got to work with.

With a few days’ time to process the end of the window, the early excitement of the season has waned and I’m increasingly thinking of next season. A lot has to happen to shift that (not least in terms of quality performances on the pitch). With that in mind, though, the summer window is going to have to be genuinely solid - borderline undeniable, even - to get me fully on board with Project Rovers. I’m a fan of the model and I believe JDT can deliver with time and assets at disposal, but my dissent towards it is forthcoming and I think that’s my deadline for it.

Missed opportunity this season is very clearly true, but it’s a very big ask, when you look at the state of the club.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

Mark Harris as the striker target is pretty uninspiring. Who am I to assess a striker from Cardiff? Nobody, that much is true.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to understand the exact reasoning and mechanisms behind decisions and actions on the recruitment front. I get the Welsh association but it’s not a cutting-edge approach. Brittain, Hyam and now Thomas aside (assuming he makes a contribution and I feel he will) it doesn’t seem laser-focused, as yet.

I hope we can be more creative in the coming months to uncover genuinely exciting prospects or proven players. I hope hard work is being done in the background to ready the youngsters to make big contributions next year. Hope is essentially all I’ve got to work with.

With a few days’ time to process the end of the window, the early excitement of the season has waned and I’m increasingly thinking of next season. A lot has to happen to shift that (not least in terms of quality performances on the pitch). With that in mind, though, the summer window is going to have to be genuinely solid - borderline undeniable, even - to get me fully on board with Project Rovers. I’m a fan of the model and I believe JDT can deliver with time and assets at disposal, but my dissent towards it is forthcoming and I think that’s my deadline for it.

Missed opportunity this season is very clearly true, but it’s a very big ask, when you look at the state of the club.

A great post.

• Like 3

You employ somebody whose job was identifying young Welsh players it's no surprise that's going to be his first port of call here.

Good players or just the best available from a very small pool there ?

I guess we'll find out in due course.

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Is this Harris being spoke about as a free for now or at the end of the season. Don’t know anything about him but would surly have an impact on how good a singing he would be 

Free at the end of the season. I didn’t realise he was a wide forward so personally I think we should see how Thomas plays, if he’s as good as people make out then I’d rather put a decent fee on him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Is this Harris being spoke about as a free for now or at the end of the season. Don’t know anything about him but would surly have an impact on how good a singing he would be 

Allegedly was our transfer deadline day striker target. They wanted 700k and we balked, he's out of contract in the summer. Presumably we may go back in for him in the summer if he doesn't sign on.

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Seems he works hard, is quick but lacks quality.

He sounds like Szmodics 

To be fair we started the season with George Hirst and he doesn’t work hard, is slow and had no quality. So it would have been an improvement. 

• Like 5

• Backroom

My only hope is that we're trying the Brian Clough route of signing very specific players to do very specific things. Players who flourish in a system, but have thus far gone unnoticed.

Certainly not comparing JDT to the great man, but it seems more like a plan than the scattergun 'get whoever we can' that we've had for the last decade, that led to overstacking various positions.

• Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic
28 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My only hope is that we're trying the Brian Clough route of signing very specific players to do very specific things. Players who flourish in a system, but have thus far gone unnoticed.

Certainly not comparing JDT to the great man, but it seems more like a plan than the scattergun 'get whoever we can' that we've had for the last decade, that led to overstacking various positions.

That’s an interesting theory - do you think the signings to date back that up?

15 hours ago, Hi Mack said:

We absolutely don’t have to accept it. He may have pulled the wool over some of the more gullible eyes but we still didn’t sign a striker and botched our biggest signing since Jordan Rhodes.

The Rochdale lads paperwork got botched too……2 mistakes out of 2 signings! How?? I thought id have calmed down by now but……..seems I haven’t! 

Each to their own but GB has accept responsibility for everything gone even if some of it IMO isn't his fault. The lack of striker signing in the January window is his fault and he took full responsibility for it

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Mark Harris.Rovers offered £700,000 but turned down. Contract up in summer, another known to Williams. Scored against us ( cracker actually) but only 3 goals this season.

Surprised Cardiff turned down the money tbh. 

His goal against us was a good strike by him. He does play wide alot at Cardiff

4 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeah I posted just before in the Wigan thread. Think Gally will be sold to free up some money & vale will be loaned out. We’d need at least 3 new faces uptop.

Good point about Gallagher being sold in the summer which might be good possibility 

Also Nixon has reported that we tried to sign Todd Cantwell in the January transfer window. Norwich turned down our bid

Blackburn refused to splash out £700,000 for Cardiff striker Mark Harris.. and hope to get him for FREE this summer | The Sun

56 minutes ago, Mike E said:

On the surface another wide forward looks more Mowbrayesque than Cloughesque.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Each to their own but GB has accept responsibility for everything gone even if some of it IMO isn't his fault. The lack of striker signing in the January window is his fault and he took full responsibility for it

Would he though if he thought he would be fired?

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I think Rovers will come good under JDT given time. He stated in  the Lancashire Telegraph Rovers are under construction a rebuilding plan for the future. He doesn't expect things this season he said, unlike some people in comments who reckon he doesn't want Rovers to be promoted. Let's get behind him and the team tomorrow and cheer them to victory.

• Like 2