BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - FAC3 - 8/1/23, 2pm

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

True, however you can't argue that his set up and picks for the Derby games have worried people, plus the manner of defeat.

Norwich are a club in the doldrums,  we've been lucky to play them twice in that period.  I still worry about the pressure games to come and his managerial ethos with playing out from the back etc ..... 

Let's see where January and hopefully some signings get on

We were chatting yesterday and there was a suggestion that Burnley and Nobbers were Tomasson's 'road to Damascus' games. Although we have lost two of them the games since then haven't had anywhere near as many of the risky passes which cost us a number of goals. We have seen a lot more long diagonal and cross field passes which have made us a better team. And he has generally been selecting players who have these attributes in their locker. The risk versus reward football seems to have been shelved for now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course there are issues, of course he’s got things wrong, he’s brand new to English management - his approach to the derbies and the inability to get back into games once behind the major two.

But on the whole, he’s settled in well when you consider the players and budget he has to work with in a league so unfairly tilted by parachute payments.

So it was absolutely ridiculous to talk about sacking the bloke (well, I suppose it isn’t really as that’s forums for you).

Would you swap him for Big Sam right now..? (Hypothetical obviously)

Edited by Sparks Rover

7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

You'll have seen him more than me Tony but I can see a bit of Faz in there as well.

It's that type of player Andy. They know their limitations and realise where their strengths are. They just get on with their jobs quietly and hugely effectively. I thought his game yesterday was the best individual performance of the season, perhaps even a couple of season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Ha very random question .

All things being equal, of course. But obviously he would never work in an environment like this. ‘Projects’, ‘development’ etc.

I want it quicker, personally I think these "projects" just buy time for highly paid managers etc....

Jury's out for me on JDT as I'm not convinced about his killer instinct and ruthlessness

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

Lots of parallels with Big Sam. Complaints about the football but winning close games, mainly at home, without conceding.

Sam wouldn't have us lose to the nobbers and draggers like that.....this is a worry for me should we get to play offs or big games at the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sam wouldn't have us lose to the nobbers and draggers like that.....this is a worry for me should we get to play offs or big games at the end of the season.

We got dicked 7-1 at Man U, which was the equivalent in terms of local derbies back then. Sam surrendered quite a few times away from home. So, yeah, that's another parallel. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

We got dicked 7-1 at Man U, which was the equivalent in terms of local derbies back then. Sam surrendered quite a few times away from home. So, yeah, that's another parallel. 

Getting dicked is getting dicked, it happens. But losing a game because of the wrong team selection and tactics is another story altogether.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Getting dicked is getting dicked, it happens. But losing a game because of the wrong team selection and tactics is another story altogether.

At O/T the team just retreated into their own box for 90 mins and got dicked. Dreadful tactics, but Sam liked to choose his games. Very much a %'s manager. Parallels with JDT. 

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

True, however you can't argue that his set up and picks for the Derby games have worried people, plus the manner of defeat.

Norwich are a club in the doldrums,  we've been lucky to play them twice in that period.  I still worry about the pressure games to come and his managerial ethos with playing out from the back etc ..... 

Let's see where January and hopefully some signings get on

We've been in the doldrums for over a decade. Every team has been lucky to play us during this period, especially our six fingered neighbours and the ever obsessed nobenders.

I've watched Burnley more than a few times, expecting this mythical super team but they've often looked ordinary, but they've been playing teams in the doldrums and ended up snatching a goal. It's what top teams do, make their own luck. I watched them against Stoke and you would never have believed they were top of the league. Strolling about, misplacing passes, keeper having a mare, and suicidally passing it about at the back - but getting away with it because Stoke didn't make the most out of their chances. Burnley nicked a lucky goal, Stoke were robbed of a point, Burnley took all three and forgot all about it. In the next match a hard working Swansea team were unlucky not to get a point, 2-1. 

JDT's biggest mistake was to play an experimental team against Burnley. Complete suicide. But then several times this season I've seen JDT set up the team to attack a team, get a goal, then hang on for an entire match. Something I don't remember seeing under Mowbray. There are many positives about JDT and some worries but I find him difficult to make an overall judgement with the short time he's been here, and with the squad as he found it.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Markanday was noticeably more intense with the pressing too. 

It's clearly what JDT demands and explains why Dack wasn't always featuring when most of us were crying out for him.

It won't suit every player and ultimately its very demanding, on days like today you can see what he's trying to do though.

I've been critical of JDT, mainly because of 2 derby thumpings but sometimes his gameplan works out. I think that's something like 12 clean sheets in competitive games, more including friendlies, which makes it all the more baffling that we've been pasted a few times.

It can only be good news for Rovers, Markanday becoming to come out of his shell and show what he can do.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hasta said:

The best thing about that cup draw is there is a glimmer of a chance we could play 3pm Saturday. Even Malaysia won’t want to watch Rovers V Brum.

You say that, but internation TV selected Grimsby vs Burton from the last round, so who knows!

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Dominic Hyam reminds me so much of Ryan Nelsen. He is a no frills defender who seems to thrive on a physical game. He has leadership qualities, is calm under pressure and is really brave.

I don't think he is as physically imposing as Nelsen.

I always think a top defender should come off the pitch without a patch of mud on them, and that is Hyam for you, just reads the game very well. Really good signing.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think he is as physically imposing as Nelsen.

I always think a top defender should come off the pitch without a patch of mud on them, and that is Hyam for you, just reads the game very well. Really good signing.

That’s how the game is going, less tackling more interceptions etc. I read about full backs making 5 tackles in a game. I’d make more than that  in 10 minutes back in the Stone Age.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s how the game is going, less tackling more interceptions etc. I read about full backs making 5 tackles in a game. I’d make more than that  in 10 minutes back in the Stone Age.

Absolutely, it wasn't a criticism. But I even look at Ayala who is definitely better in the air and loves that side of it more than Hyam, Lenihan loved chucking his head into everything too, Hyam is a picture of calm in comparison. Not as dominant but just knows where to be most of the time.

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

You say that, but internation TV selected Grimsby vs Burton from the last round, so who knows!

Whether Malaysians want to watch our cup tie it will be broadcast to them, as all FA Cup games are these days. Clearly we won't be a live TV game here but the odds must be about evens on whether it's 3pm on Saturday or 2pm on Sunday.

I can't find a topic on F A Cup so I'll comment here.

I've just watched the highlights of Liverpool v Wolves. That Wolves third goal is a good goal. There is no offside that I can see. I presume the player offside was the eventual goalscorer when the ball was crossed, but the replay shows he is behind the ball. Shocking VAR decision!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bazza said:

I can't find a topic on F A Cup so I'll comment here.

I've just watched the highlights of Liverpool v Wolves. That Wolves third goal is a good goal. There is no offside that I can see. I presume the player offside was the eventual goalscorer when the ball was crossed, but the replay shows he is behind the ball. Shocking VAR decision!

The player that the linesman flagged as offside was the corner taker once the ball came back to him. I dont think he was but because the camera angle that was needed wasnt available, the on field decision stuck.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The player that the linesman flagged as offside was the corner taker once the ball came back to him. I dont think he was but because the camera angle that was needed wasnt available, the on field decision stuck.

Oh. Thanks for that. I've had another look and he may have been. 

Well, us fans can't be right all of the time.🍺 Cheers!

On 08/01/2023 at 23:43, joey_big_nose said:

Agree with this. That said addition of Dack at number 10 should help us in that regard, he can find the right pass or arrive late for a cross. Other bit that needs solving is centreforward. Gallagher is at his best running around in lots of space. Getting on crosses in a packed box really isn't his thing. Or any of our alternatives like Vale or Markanday....

We need to sign someone whose can physically dominate the opposition centre halves. Haven't had that since Gestede and its a big miss.

Yes a big igor that can finish crosses and hood the ball up. There are times we’re playing around in the back and when we do get it forward it’s almost immediately lost. Competition for Gally is needed as he’s not good enough to be handed a spot every week.