BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - FAC3 - 8/1/23, 2pm

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

JDT has probably won more cup games this season than Mowbray did in 5 years.

just shows how sometimes even at the best clubs a change, almost any change, is so badly needed.

Ironically i think Sun'land have progressed in the FA cup for the first time in years.

19 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Looks like the BIG CLUB are underwhelmed at the prospect of playing us. Hope Forest Green do one on them for any number of reasons.
 https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-fa-cup-draw-25925421

Couldn't think of anything more underwhelming than a cup tie against them or any game against them in fact. As Englands second city club they should be at least a tad glamorous but they are the most pointless club in Britain.

Says it all when Rovers fans see Forest Green at home as a higher profile game than Birmingham City

• Like 2

• Backroom
30 minutes ago, matt83 said:

We drove to Portman road pretty much to boo Kean in the first game of the season. 9-10 hours and 500 miles round trip just to abuse that fat bald toad. They were certainly strange times. 

I was there for that one too. Very strange atmosphere from the away end. Plenty of support for the lads but the anger towards Kean was still very much there. Not quite as vociferous as the middle and end of our final PL campaign, but still a very strong and vocal resentment as soon as he slithered out onto the touchline. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

According to Jim we’ve played them twice in the FA Cup  since 2000. I think Jim’s right.

You’re right TS. I saw the claim on a Big Club site that we had never beaten them and then checked it on what was obviously a rubbish web site. We’ve played each other 4 times in the FA cup, twice in the 30s and twice this century, and lost them all.

2 hours ago, Reginald said:

Seriously? Nobody else squares an incredibly simple 10 yard pass for their teammate to score?

The simple bit was the pass, the hard bit was the awareness he was there and not telegraphing the pass.

Also, I would have had no faith in Gallagher a) being where Vale was, and b) not fluffing the shot.

• Like 2

Glad Markanday played well, although I think Hanley's back-pass was his to win, and he didn't fully commit to it.

Probably better that he didn't get his foot to it in the end. 

Very interesting to see the ebb and flow of opinions on JDT.

It really is impossible to work him out, but I still maintain that his unfathomable change of personnel against PNE, after a 6 game winning run, was as arrogant and naive as I have ever seen, and has derailed our home performances since, including against Cardiff, despite the result.

There is something brewing though, I just hope we can achieve some consistency, and allow the same wave of confidence throughout the squad that we achieved following the Sheff Utd home game last season. 

This season really is as barmy and bizarre as last season. 

Really hope we can give genuinely serious focus to getting to the 5th round, after which anything can happen.

£12 or £15 tickets will be a start....

Really good win today....

Edited by garnersfags

3 hours ago, garnersfags said:

Glad Markanday played well, although I think Hanley's back-pass was his to win, and he didn't fully commit to it.

It really is impossible to work him out, but I still maintain that his unfathomable change of personnel against PNE, after a 6 game winning run, was as arrogant and naive as I have ever seen, and has derailed our home performances since, including against Cardiff, despite the result.

There is something brewing though, I just hope we can achieve some consistency, and allow the same wave of confidence throughout the squad that we achieved following the Sheff Utd home game last season. 

Really hope we can give genuinely serious focus to getting to the 5th round, after which anything can happen.

I’ve felt like this about JDT, but have now come to the opinion that he genuinely plays lads who are doing what he demands in training. It’s been described as a meritocracy…I know from a couple of chats with those around the training ground that he’s VERY demanding and VERY specific on what he wants. You get in line or you don’t play…Dack, Buckley, Scott Wharton and now our club captain Travis have all fallen foul. Not a chance any of those would’ve been dropped by Mowbray.

The games at Burnley and Preston were baffling from the outside, but maybe he was making a point to the players as ETH and Arteta have done in certain circumstances. Whatever our opinion on JDT, he is the boss down there and in half a season he’s shown to the players that he’s not to be crossed.

I think one of the benefits of this style is that it keeps the wider group permanently interested because no one is untouchable. So you get good cup performances when you rotate the team because everyone feels they have a genuine chance!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Norn Iron Rover said:

7 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Spot on ......

Meanwhile I'm desperately gearing up memory recall of Hedges regularly beating opposition players 1v1 on the wing ..... and as a bonus creating something. I'll have to get back on that one.

Shouldn't be too hard...

https://twitter.com/Rovers/status/1609917301821693953?t=qAusZlRTNhg3QxvZ51lm-A&s=19

Good try, you do know that's on repeat?

One swallow etc etc etc.

BTW I rate Hedges post Mowbray but when he plays right side he uses his right leg to stand on. Like many lefties his left foot techniques are excellent.

Do you also do a compilation of miss placed passes or runs to nowhere?

Another successful trip to East Anglia and another win. The long journeys are always worth it when you travel back with the warm satisfaction of a win. And the bonus of listening to the Cup draw live and getting a home tie was the icing on the cake. After we scored I was never unduly worried about Norwich equalising despite what seemed like incessant pressure in the second half. We we defensively sound despite the early change at centre half. Hyam was imperious, in my view the best individual display of the season and Phillips had his best senior game too I thought. Pears was very good and despite earlier aberrations in his Rovers career has shown he can step up when needed. The were many good performances too as we showed some steel and aggression all over the pitch. And well done to Tomasson who got his tactics right against Norwich for the second time in a few weeks. Hopefully he is learning more and more about the players strengths and weaknesses and incorporating that into his game plan. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, yankfan said:

Issue is we mostly creat chances on the counter with space behind. It’s rare and we don’t really have the players to finish crosses or beat players 1 v 1 on the wing. It’s why we struggle when teams park the bus and why we can’t score when we go down. 

Agree with this. That said addition of Dack at number 10 should help us in that regard, he can find the right pass or arrive late for a cross. Other bit that needs solving is centreforward. Gallagher is at his best running around in lots of space. Getting on crosses in a packed box really isn't his thing. Or any of our alternatives like Vale or Markanday....

We need to sign someone whose can physically dominate the opposition centre halves. Haven't had that since Gestede and its a big miss.

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

Couldn't think of anything more underwhelming than a cup tie against them or any game against them in fact. As Englands second city club they should be at least a tad glamorous but they are the most pointless club in Britain.

Says it all when Rovers fans see Forest Green at home as a higher profile game than Birmingham City

'Small Heath Alliance'

Indeed such an unsuccesful and middling Club..not an FA Cup nor top flight title to their name.

Well, well, well. Another really pleasing result. I never expect anything from that neck of the woods. Too much historical trauma. Plus they've never heard of motorways and its a ballache from start to finish.

I must say I'm finding this season really interesting from our point of view. Literally, never a dull moment and I dont know if we will win, or get beat four zip.

Everyone has done much better than I imagined. Credit to all. 

• Like 4

JDT is obviously doing well. 3rd in the table, actually winning cup ties. Not a lot more you can ask for a new manager operating without parachutes.

But he‘s ‘clueless’, ‘has to go’ from a vocal minority on here up until a week ago…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

JDT is obviously doing well. 3rd in the table, actually winning cup ties. Not a lot more you can ask for a new manager operating without parachutes.

But he‘s ‘clueless’, ‘has to go’ from a vocal minority on here up until a week ago…

True, however you can't argue that his set up and picks for the Derby games have worried people, plus the manner of defeat.

Norwich are a club in the doldrums,  we've been lucky to play them twice in that period.  I still worry about the pressure games to come and his managerial ethos with playing out from the back etc ..... 

Let's see where January and hopefully some signings get on

• Like 2

9 hours ago, garnersfags said:

I can think of a couple of strikers who would have filled the keeper in going after that back pass.

Just now, arbitro said:

Dominic Hyam reminds me so much of Ryan Nelsen. He is a no frills defender who seems to thrive on a physical game. He has leadership qualities, is calm under pressure and is really brave.

You'll have seen him more than me Tony but I can see a bit of Faz in there as well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

True, however you can't argue that his set up and picks for the Derby games have worried people, plus the manner of defeat.

Norwich are a club in the doldrums,  we've been lucky to play them twice in that period.  I still worry about the pressure games to come and his managerial ethos with playing out from the back etc ..... 

I’m all in favour of playing the lads who are in form but you need to be careful. Young players can have a blinder one game and go missing the next. That’s the nature of growing up as a player. If you’re not careful you get into the Mola situation were one good game against West Ham led to him being playing against the dingles and having a shocker. 
Previous good form has to come into the equation also.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Of course there are issues, of course he’s got things wrong, he’s brand new to English management - his approach to the derbies and the inability to get back into games once behind the major two.

But on the whole, he’s settled in well when you consider the players and budget he has to work with in a league so unfairly tilted by parachute payments.

So it was absolutely ridiculous to talk about sacking the bloke (well, I suppose it isn’t really as that’s forums for you).

• Like 3