BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - FAC3 - 8/1/23, 2pm

7 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I don't think JDT gets enough credit for how well organised he's got us defensively. 

Previously under Mowbray we could only be defensively sound by sticking men behind the ball and playing 5 at the back. 

True, the only thing we do poor defensively is suicidally pass it around at the back in dangerous situations. Other than that we've become solid.

Hyam has a lot to do with it though.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Is that how it works? I made a rookie mistake and booked to come over the weekend of the 27th January...flights and hotel booked. No game be a sickener.

Hmm. Accy could be playing Leeds in Accy which if it happens, plus TV, might have a say if we get pushed back to another Sunday game.

8 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Dack is back and looking the slimest he has ever been in a Rovers shirt.

Took me a second to figure out what you meant here, for a moment I thought you meant he was looking the slimiest he has ever been in a Rovers shirt.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Is that how it works? I made a rookie mistake and booked to come over the weekend of the 27th January...flights and hotel booked. No game be a sickener.

As they haven’t played the original tie due to a waterlogged pitch, I presume that will be played when the replays are played w/c16th.  Therefore if they draw then their replay could possibly be 27th.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, neophox said:

Think its about keeping Wharton cool....he had a good game at Blackpool but hasnt impressed after that game...think he needs to dig in.....just like Dack, Buckley and Garrett has done recently... he will get his chance.

Absolute nonsense, everyone said the same about Dack. 
He’s played 340 league minutes since Blackpool, across about 20 games. Morton has played over 1500 minutes in the same period. 
He might not have impressed (he did score against Birmingham), but if that’s your opinion it’s because he hasn’t been given a chance to 

• Like 1

Well played Tomasson, lots on here showed total disregard to the cup and seemingly would prefer us out, suggesting totally changed sides, the correct approach was a bit of rotation amongst a strong side and that got us the win.

The 2 stand outs were Hyam and Phillips who were both excellent in defence, the full backs were very steady and Pears was surprisingly reliable. When we concede we often become ragged but we certainly look very well drilled much of the time.

Dack again was our best attacking player and not only does he have the ability but he seems to be right up to full fitness, great energy levels.

Definitely need an improvement in midfield, Garrett and Travis work hard but again we struggle to keep the ball as neither are good technically.

We do need one or two in attack too and we need more of a plan, Markanday flitted in and out but definitely has something about him, great dribbling ability and put in a shift. Vale needs a loan spell, not ready yet for a promotion challenge but as good today as he ever has been, got on the score sheet and a few nice touches although in the second half in particular he couldn't hold it up. Brereton needs a goal and should have had one at the end of the first half.

Rubbish reward mind with the boring draw but hopefully we can get through to the 5th round.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Spritely. He needs game time to get momentum. I'm not sure he'll get that here this season.

We're hardly flooded with options upfront. If we don't bring anyone in during this window he'll get game time.

There's clearly a player in there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I don't think Wharton looks anything special. The fact he's lauded as our best CM shows how urgently we need reinforcements in that area.  He should be around the bench coming on making cameos cutting his teeth aiding his development. But I think he has a long way to go.  Look forward to seeing his progress but I'm not getting excited.  Seen Duff and Dunn come through the ranks and he's not in that bracket at the moment. 

I am also bemused by the constant theme from posters on here that Wharton is our most gifted midfielder and should be starting every game. I can only assume that people are willing it to be so because he's a Blackburn lad and a Rovers fan. It certainly can't be based on a number of outstanding performances because as yet there haven't been.

There was an outstanding debut at Blackpool and one or two brief cameos where he showed some promise, There have been at least two games where he has been taken off at half time, a league game (?) and at West Ham. In the latter he was replaced by Garrett who clearly outperformed him and has gone on to give some more excellent performances (MOM against Cardiff). Disclaimer: I didn't see today's game so don't know how he played but the fact that all the negative comment was about Travis and he played the full 90 suggests he did at least OK.

Garrett is just simply ahead of Wharton at the moment. It doesn't mean that Wharton won't come good in time and go on to have an outstanding career. But he could throw it all away if he is believing the hype and not getting his head down.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I don't think Wharton looks anything special. The fact he's lauded as our best CM shows how urgently we need reinforcements in that area.  He should be around the bench coming on making cameos cutting his teeth aiding his development. But I think he has a long way to go.  Look forward to seeing his progress but I'm not getting excited.  Seen Duff and Dunn come through the ranks and he's not in that bracket at the moment. 

Each to their own, but I see a star in the making. He looks very special to me. His one goal so far was very classy and his debut was awesome. 

• Like 7

I think there is probably a middle ground between Wharton being seemingly quite a bit away from the team at the moment to the point where he often misses out on matchday squads and him playing every week. 

He did also have very good games v Birmingham, Boro and Hull.

I also find the idea that he is not training properly or questions about his attitude to be very presumptuous.

• Like 1

Great win that and although we had to defend I never felt like we would concede.

Good performances from Pears, Markanday and Hyam who is some signing. However, Dack once again showed how good a footballer he is, was at the heart of all our good work and is key to any success we may have this season.

• Like 3

Well done to Rovers and JDT. Pleased we beat Wagner's Norwich team

listened to bits of the game on radio Lancs. We sounded defensively solid and pleased Vale scored. Good finish by him. Looking forward to watching the game back on Rovers TV tomorrow. 

Disappointed to not draw a PL team at home like Leicester or Southampton

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

listened to bits of the game on radio Lancs. We sounded defensively solid and pleased Vale scored. Good finish by him. Looking forward to watching the game back on Rovers TV tomorrow. 

Why the bollocks would you want to draw Leicester or Southampton? 
Less likely to progress, hardly a ‘big’ club to draw any attention, wouldn’t draw in home fans and wouldn’t shift loads of away tickets (£) like an actual big club. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Are you/were you not frustrated that Tomasson went fairly strong and played the likes of Hyam, Brereton, Dack and in particular a player you mentioned in Pickering when you were adamant that they needed a total rest?

And why would you specifically want those 2 at home?!

• Like 2