BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

You’ve lost that loving feeling?

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

They mentioned that they’d ‘done a cheap ticket offer for the Birmingham cup game’ and there wasn’t much take up, so cheap tickets don’t always work and all this sort of thing. I highlighted that the 3rd round FA Cup is always poorly attended.

Birmingham was the highest home turnout for an early round tie for donkey’s years. It was a good turn out, ergo it did work. It’s called context, were they expecting an Oxford crowd or something for a January cup game against a fellow Championship team (obviously not as they didn’t even open the Riverside) ?!

The lack of knowledge on display there, and these people get to run our football club? Jesus.

Edited by Mattyblue

12 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Sounds oh so familiar.

Their latest manager, Gattuso, walking away after half a season due to a failure to sign players in the January transfer window. Hmm. How far away are we from that scenario?

A Valencia based journalist has said the following in that article, let's see how it matches up:

1) "No manager in the world will be able to succeed while the current owner and current management model are in place. Absolutely nobody". Snap!

2) "They're doomed before even starting. Valencia isn't run as a proper club and the owner isn't invested in the success of the team". Snap!

3) "The squad is getting weaker every season, and taking everything into account...relegation is inevitable. It will happen eventually, even if not this season". Snap!

4) "Maintaining a good relationship with the club's supporters has never appeared to feature highly on the reclusive owner's list of priorities". Snap!

5) "The owner is sitting on his sofa playing with Valencia as a toy. Nobody understands why he bought the club. Fans are ashamed of their club because of him". Snap!

6) "Valencia will continue to sink as long as the owner stays, because he has abandoned the club to people who don't know about football. The only future is a change in ownership and to pray that the next one is better". Snap!

Every single one of those quotes could have easily come from Rich Sharpe, talking about Rovers.

There's a common theme that springs out of that article, and seems to apply to almost every club that finds itself in a mess:

The owner having too close a relationship with a particular agent or agents. Maybe it's just a strange coincidence.

'Every single one of those quotes could have easily come from Rich Sharpe, talking about Rovers.'

This is the only part I have to correct you on. Rich Sharpe doesn't have the balls to talk about the club like this.

11 hours ago, K-Hod said:

It was when Steve Waggott retorted to my comment about our season ticket sales, with ‘I bet they didn’t make as much as us thought, did they?’

I’m worried that those in the corridors of power don’t get the fan base at all and the lack of even considering lowering season ticket prices was odd.

They mentioned that they’d ‘done a cheap ticket offer for the Birmingham cup game’ and there wasn’t much take up, so cheap tickets don’t always work and all this sort of thing. I highlighted that the 3rd round FA Cup is always poorly attended.

I think my main worry is that they give up too easily and hide behind easy excuses of parachute payments and all that.

Like ‘oh well, they get more money than us, so we might as well not bother competing with them. It’s the seemingly defeatist mindset that I just can’t get on board with tbh.

And his comment sums up what a selfish twat he is. He's not bothered about the health and future of Rovers. He achieved his target, the errant ones are happy and the club withers on the vine. He is everything that is bad about Rovers, he simply doesn't care whilst he takes a huge sum of money which probably includes a bonus for achieving his objective. The sooner this imbecile leaves our club the better. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And his comment sums up what a selfish twat he is. He's not bothered about the health and future of Rovers. He achieved his target, the errant ones are happy and the club withers on the vine. He is everything that is bad about Rovers, he simply doesn't care whilst he takes a huge sum of money which probably includes a bonus for achieving his objective. The sooner this imbecile leaves our club the better. 

I'd say he embodies most of what is wrong with society.

• Like 2

On 09/02/2023 at 19:50, K-Hod said:

It was when Steve Waggott retorted to my comment about our season ticket sales, with ‘I bet they didn’t make as much as us thought, did they?’

What a pillock. Waggott not you. I'm not convinced he's correct mind. Even if he is he's not seeing the bigger picture. More fans overall brings in more money when factoring in shirts, pies, programmes (oops, missed that one) and so on. Also there's a thing called longevity of the club that he needs to consider. An aging fan base of only 8-12 k is only going to go one way. And I think we see it on here too, the average age getting older. At this rate another 10 years and we could be nearer 5k. Then of course there's growth. More fans, more growth, more revenue for cup matches etc. It's a terrible logic. A level business tells you more repeat customers is better for the long term viability. 

I’m worried that those in the corridors of power don’t get the fan base at all and the lack of even considering lowering season ticket prices was odd.

Ticketing is only one of the areas they very loudly demonstrate they don't care for the fans. It's clear the contempt fans are held in. 

Others have shown how stupid this argument is. Agree with those saying he's trying to justify not lowering ticket sales. 

I think my main worry is that they give up too easily and hide behind easy excuses of parachute payments and all that.

Like ‘oh well, they get more money than us, so we might as well not bother competing with them. It’s the seemingly defeatist mindset that I just can’t get on board with tbh.

This is criminal. And as Luton have shown repeatedly it's not true. Millwall also punch above their weight and there have been a number of clubs over the years who have gone up without parachute payments. Money helps, certainly, but it's not essential. Add in we often don't do better than Millwall or Luton neither of whom have better budgets than us and that shows we are failing by even our own shoddy yardstick. 

Sometimes wonder if they'll kill off the fan base before they go. Got to admit I'm close to giving it a complete miss till the lot of them bugger off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

What a pillock. Waggott not you. I'm not convinced he's correct mind. Even if he is he's not seeing the bigger picture. More fans overall brings in more money when factoring in shirts, pies, programmes (oops, missed that one) and so on. Also there's a thing called longevity of the club that he needs to consider. An aging fan base of only 8-12 k is only going to go one way. And I think we see it on here too, the average age getting older. At this rate another 10 years and we could be nearer 5k. Then of course there's growth. More fans, more growth, more revenue for cup matches etc. It's a terrible logic. A level business tells you more repeat customers is better for the long term viability. 

Ticketing is only one of the areas they very loudly demonstrate they don't care for the fans. It's clear the contempt fans are held in. 

Others have shown how stupid this argument is. Agree with those saying he's trying to justify not lowering ticket sales. 

This is criminal. And as Luton have shown repeatedly it's not true. Millwall also punch above their weight and there have been a number of clubs over the years who have gone up without parachute payments. Money helps, certainly, but it's not essential. Add in we often don't do better than Millwall or Luton neither of whom have better budgets than us and that shows we are failing by even our own shoddy yardstick. 

Sometimes wonder if they'll kill off the fan base before they go. Got to admit I'm close to giving it a complete miss till the lot of them bugger off. 

im`e tempted to just go and watch the u23`s next year,might take a few games in at ewood but definately won`t be getting a season ticket,we can always cling on to the hope the indians **** off

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Problem is he doesn’t give a flying feck about the long term health of the fanbase.

Hit his revenue target (and bonus) for a couple of more years by just rinsing the remaining c8k for as much as possible and then drive off into the retirement sunset with the dilapidated shack that is BRFC in the rear view mirror.

• Like 2

Do lower ticket prices attract more fans? 

One things for sure. If the club is on a downward trajectory and the management are pissing the fans off, nothing will attract them to Ewood.

if they want to get more fans down then show some bloody ambition.

Not much more to it than that.

• Like 1

Last summer, with a new manager and a bit of a ‘new dawn’ feel around the place, PNE-esque season ticket prices would have seen substantially more than our pitiful 9k sold.

This summer coming, make them £250-£299 etc and I think we’ll still struggle. As you say it’s a combination of enticing pricing with a positive vibe towards the club that brings people in, be that league position, ambition in the transfer market or both.

• Like 1

There is deliberately no ambition at this club.

It wouldn't surprise me if they permanently close the Riverside next year.

All the "cheap" ticket deals are deliberately targeted towards games where there is an expectation for a low attendance precisely so they can argue that cheap tickets don't work.

The whole lot of them are a festering, repugnant tumor on this once great club. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Problem is he doesn’t give a flying feck about the long term health of the fanbase.

Hit his revenue target (and bonus) for a couple of more years by just rinsing the remaining c8k for as much as possible and then drive off into the retirement sunset with the dilapidated shack that is BRFC in the rear view mirror.

Oh I'm sure he doesn't care in the slightest. Shocking though given that is, or should be, a key part of his role. 

Lets not think that Waggott is discounting tickets for Leicester.

Firstly, gettting to this round will not have been in the budget. That means every penny we rake in makes him look even more of a hero to his paymasters.

Secondly, away at a PL team is far more lucrative for us than being at home.

Between the third and sixth rounds FA CUP games, 45 per cent of gate receipts are divided between both clubs, with 10 per cent heading into a central pot.

This discount to our modest allocation is being funded entirely by Leicester fans rather than our club.

Waggott's spreadsheet convinces him that it must be his birthday so a crumb thrown to the peasants.

• Like 1

We are also getting another quarter of a million for being live on the BBC Red Button & iplayer.

So chucking £30K in should be seen, 100% as no different than a little flutter down the bookies on us getting to the next round. If we got City away Stevey will be in bonus heaven.

https://www.totalsportal.com/football/fa-cup-prize-money/

The Carabao cup works the same way. 45% each way. That nice little trip to West Ham probably paid for our new striker.... oh wait.

There aren’t *thousands* of fans ‘across the water’ waiting for the owners to go so they can triumphantly return to Ewood.

By the time they do go it will probably have been 20+ years, a generation. Most of said thousands of fans will have long moved on.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, den said:

Do lower ticket prices attract more fans? 

One things for sure. If the club is on a downward trajectory and the management are pissing the fans off, nothing will attract them to Ewood.

if they want to get more fans down then show some bloody ambition.

Not much more to it than that.

At the moment there's no value in a Rover ticket whatever the price. There's hardly any entertainment value at all. Its profoundly depressing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

There aren’t *thousands* of fans ‘across the water’ waiting for the owners to go so they can triumphantly return to Ewood.

By the time they do go it will probably have been 20+ years, a generation. Most of said thousands of fans will have long moved on.

I very nearly ‘came back’ after the Oxford United game - but the price of tickets was a bit too much for me.

I still follow Rovers very closely but I’ve found other things to do with my time - maybe this makes me a bad fan but I’d need to see some significant improvements (I don’t mean on the pitch) to ‘revert’ that time (and money) back to attending matches.

Edited by wilsdenrover

There's no great mystery to any of this. When you're 17 you aren't be navel-gazing on a forum about how good things used to be, you're following Rovers home and away with your mates, getting hammered and not really giving a shit if Rovers are mid-table in the Championship, bottom of the Prem or top of League 1.

When you become a cynical middle-age moan machine the world looks a lot different. 

And every fucker, no matter what their age, would be back like a shot to Ewood if we ever got to the PO's, or promoted to the Prem. 

Same with every club in the land. People want to be a part of success.

The end.