BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

You’ve lost that loving feeling?

• Backroom

I wasn’t going to make a thread on this as I didn’t think it warranted it but just wondered if anyone has had the same and conquered it?

Does anyone else just feel utterly fed up, maybe not even that maybe it’s just absolute apathy.

I read the transfer thread to try and get a bit of a spark of interest but there’s not much to get hyped about.

I don’t know if it’s just me but for the first time I recall I haven’t got a season ticket, despite being able to afford and being a 30 minute stroll away, I’ve been to two games all season (West Brom and Brum home so very enjoyable occasions) and watched 10 or so on TV but even then it’s hard to really take much interest as you just know as soon as we concede it’s game over.

I don’t blame the manager (solely) for this as the rot had set in for me already but after a lifetime of going to Ewood, and over a decade moderating on here I just don’t know if it’s passing me by now! 

Anyone had a similar rut and come out the other side?

• Like 6

I’d be lying if I haven’t wrestled with the points your making. I just think the hole left if I stopped going t’rovers and meeting the people there and the craic on the coach and visiting new places would be to much to fill . Plus,  quiet simply the scumbags in India have took everything else, there not having that n all. I just have to tell myself it’s a social day out and what else would you do instead when I start over contemplating the bigger picture, but it’s not the same and I doubt it ever will be until something gives. I keep the faith and hope that at 36 age is on my side to ride through it. 

Cost of living , shite weather and being on sky every game doesn’t help either. I’ve had to miss a few games with work and watched on sky. Yesterday being a prime example makes me think thank god  I didn’t go and spend x amount to witness that and stayed in the warmth and I think a lot of people feel the same when wins are so shot shy and losses are appalling

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I wasn’t going to make a thread on this as I didn’t think it warranted it but just wondered if anyone has had the same and conquered it?

Does anyone else just feel utterly fed up, maybe not even that maybe it’s just absolute apathy.

I read the transfer thread to try and get a bit of a spark of interest but there’s not much to get hyped about.

I don’t know if it’s just me but for the first time I recall I haven’t got a season ticket, despite being able to afford and being a 30 minute stroll away, I’ve been to two games all season (West Brom and Brum home so very enjoyable occasions) and watched 10 or so on TV but even then it’s hard to really take much interest as you just know as soon as we concede it’s game over.

I don’t blame the manager (solely) for this as the rot had set in for me already but after a lifetime of going to Ewood, and over a decade moderating on here I just don’t know if it’s passing me by now! 

Anyone had a similar rut and come out the other side?

yes,after the shameful lambert saga and the moronic appointment of coyle i stopped going to rovers games completely,i got a bit more interested when mowbray first took over and have attended fairly regularly ever since,got to admit though,my interest is dwindling,not sure if im`e going to renew my season ticket next season,it depends on who jdt brings in,i can see what he`s trying to do on the pitch but he needs better players if he wants to make the team effective

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

yes,after the shameful lambert saga and the moronic appointment of coyle i stopped going to rovers games completely,i got a bit more interested when mowbray first took over and have attended fairly regularly ever since,got to admit though,my interest is dwindling,not sure if im`e going to renew my season ticket next season,it depends on who jdt brings in,i can see what he`s trying to do on the pitch but he needs better players if he wants to make the team effective

I am similar to you , difference is my season ticket renewal will depend on the removal of JDT..A shocking appointment , if he was the best candidate for the job , god  help us .

• Like 1

Rest assured your not alone Tom.The football is turgid (the manner of some defeats has been truly appalling) and there seems a general malaise around the club atm.

Owners who dont give a fig and then throw in a Manager who openly states we are not expected to challenge for promotion...apathy reigns supreme on all levels!

Feels like the loyal fans are having the piss taken out of them.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 3

I think for me it's the monotony, you know what's going to happen almost immediately and spend the rest of the time watching (at home/the pub/the match) waiting for the inevitable and then being pissed off when it happens. Even the good results (both Norwich games) recently haven't given me any inspiration. 

The lack of signings, the lack of a wailing banshee in the middle, the lack of a final touch, the lack of fight. It's all too much to get that worked up by now. I feel passive towards Rovers, which is itself a wholly unpleasant feeling.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CheshireRover said:

I think for me it's the monotony, you know what's going to happen almost immediately and spend the rest of the time watching (at home/the pub/the match) waiting for the inevitable and then being pissed off when it happens. Even the good results (both Norwich games) recently haven't given me any inspiration. 

The lack of signings, the lack of a wailing banshee in the middle, the lack of a final touch, the lack of fight. It's all too much to get that worked up by now. I feel passive towards Rovers, which is itself a wholly unpleasant feeling.

Like you I’m becoming numb to it all. I felt really sick after the game but after a couple of pints of “ Lowenbrau “ I was over it. There was a time I’d have struggling to get to sleep after watching a surrender like that.

Good post, Tom. I've been reflecting on this recently, too.

I still love Rovers but, for me, the hope of things getting better is fading every month/transfer window/season and the genuine pain I'm feeling about aspects of what the club has become is, all at once, making me feel a bit numb and constantly worried about what will come next.

Before I say this, I'd like to make clear that I obviously have no intention of trivialising something that may well trigger for someone, so no offence, or upset, is meant here; but it currently feels to me like I'm in an abusive relationship. Something that I can't stop loving is hurting me and I'm not sure when/how it will stop. Can I "just walk away", as some people ask of that kind of situation? No, I don't think I can. I have too much invested, emotionally. But this relationship isn't doing me any good, at all.

The equivalent for me of your ST situations, Tom, is that, for the first time in years I'm not making the relatively short journey to Bristol next weekend to watch the away game at City. I just don't need to feel bad on what is my daughter's birthday. I can do better than that, for her, than to potentially or probably let my club upset me.

I probably take the whole thing far too seriously, of course, but, well, you know....

Here's to a potentially positive boost to this relationship if some sensible decisions are made in what is left of this transfer window. But my expectations are getting lower.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Devon Rover said:

Good post, Tom. I've been reflecting on this recently, too.

I still love Rovers but, for me, the hope of things getting better is fading every month/transfer window/season and the genuine pain I'm feeling about aspects of what the club has become is, all at once, making me feel a bit numb and constantly worried about what will come next.

Before I say this, I'd like to make clear that I obviously have no intention of trivialising something that may well trigger for someone, so no offence, or upset, is meant here; but it currently feels to me like I'm in an abusive relationship. Something that I can't stop loving is hurting me and I'm not sure when/how it will stop. Can I "just walk away", as some people ask of that kind of situation? No, I don't think I can. I have too much invested, emotionally. But this relationship isn't doing me any good, at all.

The equivalent for me of your ST situations, Tom, is that, for the first time in years I'm not making the relatively short journey to Bristol next weekend to watch the away game at City. I just don't need to feel bad on what is my daughter's birthday. I can do better than that, for her, than to potentially or probably let my club upset me.

I probably take the whole thing far too seriously, of course, but, well, you know....

Here's to a potentially positive boost to this relationship if some sensible decisions are made in what is left of this transfer window. But my expectations are getting lower.

10/10.

• Like 3

Isn't it just an age thing?

I must admit my passion for Rovers isn't what it once was, but life usually gets in the way of football/Rovers and also with more maturity the more you realise what value it has in your life.

If Rovers were top of the Premier League right now, would my life be massively different? Maybe, but probably not.

Plus I think the more you realise that you have no control over it, the more you can distance from it.

That said, what else would we talk about? How often would I see my friends, dad, uncle, cousins as I do on a matchday and how I can pinpoint life events around Rovers matches proves they have their place in my heart.

Following Rovers is about those days, those memories, some when you expect it (Doncaster away, Old Trafford Semi, Cardiff etc) and some when you least expect (Sheffield United at home last season, Stoke City in the FA Cup etc) and its the thought of these that keep us coming back.

Bristol City away next week could be another one of those times, you just never know.

Now in my mid 30s I think I've seen Rovers beat (and lose) against almost everyone, at least once, so in all honesty any result is a variation on a theme!

• Like 1

I enjoy going for a beer before and after games, this usually means I catch the train to both home and away games. Rail strikes and games switching away from Saturday 15;00 kick-offs mean train journeys have become awkward. This season I have been to the least games, in the last 50 years. I don't even watch the televised games, as we have become so boring to watch.   

23 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Isn't it just an age thing?

I must admit my passion for Rovers isn't what it once was, but life usually gets in the way of football/Rovers and also with more maturity the more you realise what value it has in your life.

If Rovers were top of the Premier League right now, would my life be massively different? Maybe, but probably not.

Plus I think the more you realise that you have no control over it, the more you can distance from it.

That said, what else would we talk about? How often would I see my friends, dad, uncle, cousins as I do on a matchday and how I can pinpoint life events around Rovers matches proves they have their place in my heart.

Following Rovers is about those days, those memories, some when you expect it (Doncaster away, Old Trafford Semi, Cardiff etc) and some when you least expect (Sheffield United at home last season, Stoke City in the FA Cup etc) and its the thought of these that keep us coming back.

Bristol City away next week could be another one of those times, you just never know.

Now in my mid 30s I think I've seen Rovers beat (and lose) against almost everyone, at least once, so in all honesty any result is a variation on a theme!

It’s the “ having no control over it “ . Worrying about what to do about events you have no control over is crazy. I’ve minimised my commitment to Rovers over the last ten years. What’s the point of doing otherwise ? When they appointed Coyle, for the first time in my life,  I gave up completely. Didn’t go to games, watch us on TV , come on brfcs.com anymore. Apart from looking out for the scores on Saturday evening that was it. I’ve got to be honest, I felt loads better for it. It freed up acres of time. I got a season ticket for my local rugby league team and watched them instead. It was only with the appointment of Lambert and Co that I came back. It’s still  the only logical decision they’ve made even if it didn’t last very long.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

I enjoy going for a beer before and after games, this usually means I catch the train to both home and away games. Rail strikes and games switching away from Saturday 15;00 kick-offs mean train journeys have become awkward. This season I have been to the least games, in the last 50 years. I don't even watch the televised games, as we have become so boring to watch.   

I think this is a really good outlying point, specific to this season. For me to get to Ewood involves 3 unreliable (at the best of times) trains or an hour drive each way, made worse currently by the state of the M6 between Warrington and Wigan, which has put me off considerably and fed into my feelings of apathy. I know others in a similar situation who've been to less games this season than for many many years. 

If there was a feeling of excitement & positivity around the ground with swash-buckling football and players giving it everything, the above wouldn't even be a remote concern and I'd be there as much as possible, however I can't be arsed getting to Ewood for 12.30PM after a 3 hour journey on trains or sitting in standstill traffic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CheshireRover said:

I think this is a really good outlying point, specific to this season. For me to get to Ewood involves 3 unreliable (at the best of times) trains or an hour drive each way, made worse currently by the state of the M6 between Warrington and Wigan, which has put me off considerably and fed into my feelings of apathy. I know others in a similar situation who've been to less games this season than for many many years. 

If there was a feeling of excitement & positivity around the ground with swash-buckling football and players giving it everything, the above wouldn't even be a remote concern and I'd be there as much as possible, however I can't be arsed getting to Ewood for 12.30PM after a 3 hour journey on trains or sitting in standstill traffic.

That’s another thing. “ The players giving it everything “ . When you watch a performance like the Rotherham game you think “ if they aren’t bothered why should I be bothered “.

• Like 2

I'm 54 and don't expect to see us play PL football again - certainly not any time soon -  thanks to the idiots who run the show. But at the end of the day, it's our club. It's not Venky's or Waggot's club - it's ours.

Even though I'm not as emotionally invested in Rovers as I used to be, I'm not letting them stopping me from doing what I've been doing since 1975.

One day they will be gone.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I'm 54 and don't expect to see us play PL football again - certainly not any time soon -  thanks to the idiots who run the show. But at the end of the day, it's our club. It's not Venky's or Waggot's club - it's ours.

Even though I'm not as emotionally invested in Rovers as I used to be, I'm not letting them stopping me from doing what I've been doing since 1975.

One day they will be gone.

Genuinely - I do not expect them to leave. I'd argue our only hope is that when it's passed down a generation, there's some more interest.

• Like 1

I was reading an article about Fergie giving Van Nistlehorseface a bollocking one day. They’d lost to City and he came wandering in with a City shirt having swapped his Utd shirt.

Fergie hit the roof - “ That’s not your shirt to give away, it’s my shirt, it’s the clubs shirt, it’s the fans shirt, it’s not yours. You only get to wear it for a while. Do that again and you’ll never play for this club again “.

Why haven’t we got people in charge that feel so passionately ?

• Like 4

• Backroom

The fact Ferguson was able to adapt his management style across multiple eras and remain hugely successful has always been extremely impressive to me. No matter how much money you have to play with, that still takes some doing. 

As far as Rovers are concerned, impossible to be as invested as I was pre-Venky's as I feel that most of the time the club is not interested in matching the passion that the remaining fans have. They take what's left of the fanbase for granted and that makes it difficult to care in the same way I once did. I'm obviously still invested in the club, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here or attending matches when I'm able, but it's more in the hope that one day we'll get the news that Venky's are selling up and everything is being reset. 

I can say for sure that over the past decade I've completely lost interest in the Premier League though. Ten years ago I could name the first eleven from most PL squads, nowadays I'd barely be able to name two or three from most.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

The fact Ferguson was able to adapt his management style across multiple eras and remain hugely successful has always been extremely impressive to me. No matter how much money you have to play with, that still takes some doing. 

As far as Rovers are concerned, impossible to be as invested as I was pre-Venky's as I feel that most of the time the club is not interested in matching the passion that the remaining fans have. They take what's left of the fanbase for granted and that makes it difficult to care in the same way I once did. I'm obviously still invested in the club, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here or attending matches when I'm able, but it's more in the hope that one day we'll get the news that Venky's are selling up and everything is being reset. 

I can say for sure that over the past decade I've completely lost interest in the Premier League though. Ten years ago I could name the first eleven from most PL squads, nowadays I'd barely be able to name two or three from most.

I’ve not watched MOTD since we left the Prem. Not once.

• Like 3