BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (h) - 6/2/23

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Vale is shit. End of discussion 

Discussion is the whole point of the board. 

JDT was a striker and he's not an idiot. He see's something in Vale and I see something myself. The movement is there and he is a serious threat when the chances are made. I think we haven't been creating enough of them. When I watch the U21's, we create box chances for Leonard every week, in front of goal, 15+ crosses into the area throughout the 90 minutes. Hopefully Thomas' introduction goes some way to helping us achieve that. If Vale has a run of games where he doesn't perform I'm not against dropping him, but at least give him some chances to miss first before we write him off. 

Edited by JoeH

8 minutes ago, den said:

If we lose this, the mood on here after this weeks “problems “ will be absolutely toxic.

Nobody at the club will care.

8 minutes ago, den said:

Wonder how all this has affected the players?

IIRC JDT said on the interview he did after the window that the players were as frustrated as he is. Hopefully they use that to motivate them, but I imagine the senior pros won't be impressed with the club. 

56 minutes ago, JoeH said:

JDT was a striker and he's not an idiot. He see's something in Vale and I see something myself. The movement is there and he is a serious threat when the chances are made. I think we haven't been creating enough of them. When I watch the U21's, we create box chances for Leonard every week, in front of goal, 15+ crosses into the area throughout the 90 minutes. Hopefully Thomas' introduction goes some way to helping us achieve that. If Vale has a run of games where he doesn't perform I'm not against dropping him, but at least give him some chances to miss first before we write him off. 

What is it you like about his movement? - I’ve never seen him play so I’d be interested to know 

• Like 2

I admit, I had not seen all those signings by Wigan. Even past their prime, Caulker, Kelly & Fletcher all PL talent at one time. At least the pie-eaters are trying. maybe not bottom of the table, by the end of the season. 

We will need some strong performances from unlikely sources to get the 3 pts. I am looking forward to Thomas’ debut in blue & white. 
COYB! 

Boycotting this one.

The club continues to show it doesn’t deserve my support, this latest debacle cements that.

For the thousands attending, I’m hoping we smash this lot.

Rovers 3 Wigan 1

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The "JDT was a striker" line isn't really relevant, Mowbray was a big centre back but he was much better at finding attacking players, how someone was as a player often doesn't match up with their managerial judgement. The attacking side of our team has been pretty poor all season, hence why Tomasson wanted to sign a new forward.

How you can possibly ascertain that he is a "serious threat" is beyond me. He has never scored a league goal for us and he struggled to score in the conference last season. You mention his movement but he never looks like scoring and that doesn't signify good movement, often people put a strikers woes down to not having chances created for them but part of that responsibility falls on them for getting into goalscoring positions. I barely remember him looking like scoring.

Do you see anything in his game aside from this movement (which I strongly contest based on my opinion) that you like? Not quick, not strong, cant hold it up, not good in the air, what does he offer?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rigger said:

Dack, Markanday, Leonard

Dack as it stands is out of contract in the summer, albeit with the option. Markanday I forgot. Leonard has never played a senior minute, I stopped short of listing untested graduates.

6 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You said that about JRC

Theres no point in not making such predictions in case you get any wrong and I am not arrogant enough to think that my judgement isnt flawed.

I dont think that Rankin Costello could play a big part in promotion, even allowing for his unexpected and sudden rise which no one could have expected. He has never performed even nearly to the level that he has lately.

5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes - I am happy to rely on the professional judgement of JDT and his staff on this. The new contract for Vale earlier this season suggests they believe he has what it takes.

I don't get why anyone would seemingly suspend their own critical faculty and place such faith in the professionals. Its a game of opinions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack as it stands is out of contract in the summer, albeit with the option. Markanday I forgot. Leonard has never played a senior minute, I stopped short of listing untested graduates.

Theres no point in not making such predictions in case you get any wrong and I am not arrogant enough to think that my judgement isnt flawed.

I dont think that Rankin Costello could play a big part in promotion, even allowing for his unexpected and sudden rise which no one could have expected. He has never performed even nearly to the level that he has lately.

I don't get why anyone would seemingly suspend their own critical faculty and place such faith in the professionals. Its a game of opinions.

A professional ( Mowbray ) thought Gallagher was worth signing - twice.

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A professional ( Mowbray ) thought Gallagher was worth signing - twice.

138 appearances and 28 goals the last time I looked, he’s been a good servant for this club, JDT also thinks he good enough by keep picking him.

Trust the professionals, not the greengrocers, welders and van drivers I say 😉

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How you can possibly ascertain that he is a "serious threat" is beyond me. He has never scored a league goal for us and he struggled to score in the conference last season. You mention his movement but he never looks like scoring and that doesn't signify good movement, often people put a strikers woes down to not having chances created for them but part of that responsibility falls on them for getting into goalscoring positions. I barely remember him looking like scoring.

So you are discounting his 2 cup goals which he took very well? 

Also how many chances has he actually had in championship to score? 

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you see anything in his game aside from this movement (which I strongly contest based on my opinion) that you like? Not quick, not strong, cant hold it up, not good in the air, what does he offer?

He isn't a target man striker. He has good movement, can finish and decent link up play. 

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You're too quick to write players off. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So you are discounting his 2 cup goals which he took very well? 

Also how many chances has he actually had in championship to score? 

He isn't a target man striker. He has good movement, can finish and decent link up play. 

No, a goal is a goal. But in general he has offered very little goal threat and does not tally up with a striker who has supposedly good movement. It isn't by chance that our best chances fall to Brereton and Dack, they can sniff out chances. 

Decent link up play? You must be watching a different player to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You're too quick to write players off. 

Very few people on this board haven't been massively taken by surprise at Rankin Costello's recent return to the team. On Vale I see absolutely nothing in his game that I feel could be a really big asset with development, that is why I can't ever see him being a good player at this level.

There will be occasions where players prove people wrong, I am desperate for Vale to do that but there is no point me sitting on the fence when my opinion is as it is above.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, J*B said:

I’ve seen enough of Vale to make a decision - he’s toss. I hope he proves me wrong. 

I seem to recall you saying he'll be at Chorley around half an hour before he scored away at Norwich... I think he proved you wrong that day.

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The "JDT was a striker" line isn't really relevant

A manager who knows football better than anyone on this board, who played in the position we are discussing, is absolutely relevant.