BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v WBA (a) - 15/02/23

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Never left early in 60 years except for Peterborough last season.  Great goal but the rest of it, dear oh dear. Watching Rovers is like watching paint dry. 

Dear me Jim, you seem an intelligent guy. What do you expect?

• Backroom

Weirdly I thought we were pitiful between the two goals. To the point where I had to actually check to see if I’d missed us having a man sent off when I went to check on the little one!

Having said that we finally come back into a game so let’s hope it’s a turning point

• Like 3

I don't have a dog in the fight, regarding Benson.

And I've not watched him doing his job, not that I'm qualified to really pass judgement on it either way.

However, a former colleague had a son coached by him at the Academy a few years now and he genuinely could not speak highly enough of him and his lads' development under him.

Either way, delighted that Pears has taken his chance recently - I've always said that he's a decent GK (check my post history!) and I've been one of the few who refused to write him off after a couple of disaster performances.

His resurgence has come at the right time, with TK out for a bit.

• Like 6

Raya was far from the goalkeeper we see today when he was here, he made so many mistakes in that final season and the Kaminski we have had is far superior to the Raya we had.

Even in his first season at Brentford he made a number of errors including 2 off the top of my head from a backpass from the halfway line and also the one in the play off final. He has since gone from strength to strength and there was talk of a Spanish goalkeeping coach there that they had/have that was part of his desire to go in the first place.

That being said, how sure some people are that Lowe and Benson are terrible coaches has always been a little curious. Maybe it is the frustration that they seem immovable therefore it is not necessarily a case of managers wanting them but they would have to either way? Remember part of the rumoured reason that put Carvalhal off. Or an association with Mowbray (even though he too inherited them) with some seemingly unable to let their hatred of him wane?

• Like 2

Two hard away games and we come back with two deserved  points. Travis, Morton still a problem but Pears is class and Thomas is good especially with corners.

Got to get right forward line for home game v Swans. Gallagher isn't good when playing regularly and now that he's a rusty sub what do we do?

22 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Just seen the freekick goal lol

Jesus wept it was a poor freekick, keeper really mucked it up, but we will take it of course ha

Not a great strike but worse attempt to save it. Happy with the point but WBA really should have had 2 or 3 and our goal was a touch of luck 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cherry Blue said:

Two hard away games and we come back with two deserved  points. Travis, Morton still a problem but Pears is class and Thomas is good especially with corners.

Got to get right forward line for home game v Swans. Gallagher isn't good when playing regularly and now that he's a rusty sub what do we do?

Do we have a right forward line? Dolan gives the most effort, Brereton was poor for large parts of tonights game but seemed more switched on. Dack wasn't great but I prefer the team with him than without him. Sorba is a handful for defenders which gives other players space. Gallagher just clumps around looking confused. Glad to see Vale has disappeared from match days.

When Dack and Sorba went off we were noticeably poorer for it, again. So they must feature.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't have a dog in the fight, regarding Benson.

And I've not watched him doing his job, not that I'm qualified to really pass judgement on it either way.

However, a former colleague had a son coached by him at the Academy a few years now and he genuinely could not speak highly enough of him and his lads' development under him.

In fairness, I'd expect an Academy goalkeeper's game to improve under him. If he isn't better than JFC 'coaches' it really is a poor do. The lad and his dad likely didn't have much of a frame of reference. Even if he had been at other youth setups (Had he?) he probably wouldn't have had GK coaches who were also deemed good enough for a senior team. I think, anyway, as I assume it's not too common for the senior GK coaches to coach the young kids. Nonetheless, good to hear a positive about him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Fair points.

This is exactly why I find it ridiculous why so many are adamant he’s completely shit.

He’s probably a technically really good coach. Obviously did well enough with the young kids to get the promotion to first team.

There’s an argument that maybe you are better off with someone who has been there and done it with the first teamers as you aren’t really working on developing their techniques or their basics - stuff you can learn from a coaching manual, and a lot of it is the mental stuff. I’d lean towards this myself.

However a lot of keepers will tell you they want to do interesting, varied and enjoyable sessions. It can get really repetitive, so maybe Benson has a knack of keeping them sharp and happy. If the keepers are happy, who are we to argue.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Fair points.

This is exactly why I find it ridiculous why so many are adamant he’s completely shit.

There's always seemed to be a weird targeted vendetta against Benson on here. 

I don't remember that in the past. Maybe I'm wrong and Bobby Mimms got it as well, I just don't remember. 

• Like 3

I wonder what odds you'd get on us not winning another game until the end of the season? Has to be a fair shout given our striking options and the incompetence of GB, the recruitment department and whoever messed up the two deals.

Hard to imagine JDT is too enamoured with life at the moment.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya was far from the goalkeeper we see today when he was here, he made so many mistakes in that final season and the Kaminski we have had is far superior to the Raya we had.

Even in his first season at Brentford he made a number of errors including 2 off the top of my head from a backpass from the halfway line and also the one in the play off final. He has since gone from strength to strength and there was talk of a Spanish goalkeeping coach there that they had/have that was part of his desire to go in the first place.

That being said, how sure some people are that Lowe and Benson are terrible coaches has always been a little curious. Maybe it is the frustration that they seem immovable therefore it is not necessarily a case of managers wanting them but they would have to either way? Remember part of the rumoured reason that put Carvalhal off. Or an association with Mowbray (even though he too inherited them) with some seemingly unable to let their hatred of him wane?

You point out 2 off the top of your head. How many top class saves did he make? Sorry he’s expected to make worldies but birch him for a couple of mistakes. He was on the path to becoming a top class keeper. He was not the finished article, but he was still one of the best in keepers in the championship. Keepers are always the fall guys. WHY THE FUCK IS MORTON PICKED EVERY FUCKING MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

You point out 2 off the top of your head. How many top class saves did he make? Sorry he’s expected to make worldies but birch him for a couple of mistakes. He was on the path to becoming a top class keeper. He was not the finished article, but he was still one of the best in keepers in the championship. Keepers are always the fall guys. WHY THE FUCK IS MORTON PICKED EVERY FUCKING MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He made about 10 mistakes in his last season either. My point is that his development started to show properly in his second season after leaving.