BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 18/2/23

4 hours ago, Bethnal said:

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t mind seeing this exact performance - with refinement - when I make it up to Ewood in March for the Burnley game. Exactly the same principles at play.

The performance is irrelevant when we play that lot. Don't  care how we did it if we win!

34 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Please don't be comparing Armistice day to kneeling for some career criminal political proven corrupt movement.

You know the point i'm making in general lets get football back to being about football, local community stuff goes hand in hand with that but on the wider spectrum lets leave that crap out.

That illustrates my point perfectly. Please read it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

But we wouldn't want to would we? Are we bringing up these good young players for someone else?

It's about being sustainable and appreciating where you are in the food chain - if the January striker loan deals that fell through don't reinforce that enough.

The Academy costs approx. £3m a year to run - it's obviously more than paid itself off with the amount of first teamers it produces (for this level at least - I still don't think it's cranking out many Premier League talents), but if an offer comes in for a Scott Wharton or a Hayden Carter etc that pays for the Academy to run for 2 more years then it has to be considered. 

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

It's about being sustainable and appreciating where you are in the food chain - if the January striker loan deals that fell through don't reinforce that enough.

The Academy costs approx. £3m a year to run - it's obviously more than paid itself off with the amount of first teamers it produces (for this level at least - I still don't think it's cranking out many Premier League talents), but if an offer comes in for a Scott Wharton or a Hayden Carter etc that pays for the Academy to run for 2 more years then it has to be considered. 

Depressing but probably true.

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Considering actually selling players for a fee, that’s novel…

I mean Broughton has already got a fee for Magloire - that was a miracle in itself. Imagine if we're able to flog Vale in the summer to a L1 / L2 side on the back of him having Championship minutes under his belt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Pears has conceded just 2 goals in his last 6 games.

I'll hold my hands up on this one - I thought he should never play for us again after the Wigan debacle last year.

He's been excellent in these 6 games and has really turned his career around. The gloves should be his until he loses form, which is saying something because I think Kaminski is a very good GK at this level. 

• Like 8

I've just noticed that we've now won more games than everyone apart from Burnley, Sheffield Utd and Middlesbrough. We've also lost the most in the top half of the table.

Also Millwall play Burnley at home when we play Blackpool. Just a shame that we've sustained injuries to two of our main players.

30 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'll hold my hands up on this one - I thought he should never play for us again after the Wigan debacle last year.

He's been excellent in these 6 games and has really turned his career around. The gloves should be his until he loses form, which is saying something because I think Kaminski is a very good GK at this level. 

Yep guarantee 95% of this board would agree we all thought his rovers career was done. Fair play to the lad he’s been brilliant this season. Forest at home in the cup was some performance and he conceded 4!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

I've just noticed that we've now won more games than everyone apart from Burnley, Sheffield Utd and Middlesbrough. We've also lost the most in the top half of the table.

Also Millwall play Burnley at home when we play Blackpool. Just a shame that we've sustained injuries to two of our main players.

I read somewhere recently that we had the worst defence of all clubs in the top ten. This changes from week to week I imagine.

But couple that with our low-scoring and it really does seem a miracle that we are even close to the play-off group.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

But we wouldn't want to would we? Are we bringing up these good young players for someone else?

I think the reality is not everyone stays in the first team forever Philips i imagine is expected to over take Carter in the future so if we have so much talent in one position we would need to sale one off that is not needed anymore. I don't remember a time in Rovers sake when we have been able to develop a core squad and now i feel rather than quantity we can just add that little touch of quality that is missing in the team. Even when Diaz goes, I am optimistic enough to think that we have decent wingers if we can add a quality striker and another midfielder we are in a good position. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I think the reality is not everyone stays in the first team forever Philips i imagine is expected to over take Carter in the future so if we have so much talent in one position we would need to sale one off that is not needed anymore. I don't remember a time in Rovers sake when we have been able to develop a core squad and now i feel rather than quantity we can just add that little touch of quality that is missing in the team. Even when Diaz goes, I am optimistic enough to think that we have decent wingers if we can add a quality striker and another midfielder we are in a good position. 

Yes, fair enough, can't argue with that.

The feelings are historical with me. I always associate selling our best players with going backwards. As a kid fell I gutted when I saw my idols turning out for some-one else. I'd be be depressed for weeks. It started with Roy Vernon and continued with Pickering, England and so on.

We always have been a "selling club" and I've adopted the attitude late in life that if some youth player turns out to be brilliant then I won't see him for long.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I read somewhere recently that we had the worst defence of all clubs in the top ten. This changes from week to week I imagine.

But couple that with our low-scoring and it really does seem a miracle that we are even close to the play-off group.

A midfielder and a decent striker and imagine...

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Can you imagine the poo fest if we actually had to quickly buy top quality players if we got promoted. We couldn’t get a loaner and a teenager from Rochdale over the line. 

If JDT somehow got this squad promoted I'd have faith that he'd be able to graft out enough ugly 1-0's to keep us up.

Edited by ageoftherover

9 minutes ago, ageoftherover said:

If JDT somehow got this squad promoted I'd have faith that he'd be able to graft out enough ugly 1-0's to keep us up.

You jest sir, of course. We'd have to do a Forest and spend tens of millions on an entire new squad

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Look4Me said:

Some highlights here: 

Sadly every other media / comms team does a better job of the highlights on their YouTube channel than our lot - it really must be a skeleton crew at Ewood Park.

Also that's the first time I've seen a close up of Gallagher when he's stretching out like that - from my vantage point in the stands I always thought he was just feeling his hamstrings, but no he's pulling up his ankle socks. He really is a tart. 

Carter now first choice centre back for me following his latest performances. Composed on and off the ball. Some lovely runs up the pitch in the 2nd half too, utilising the extra cover that came from having 5 at the back.

Great to get the 3 points which make the draws away from home much sweeter. We've still got a lot to play for this season, but we do clearly miss someone to stick the ball in the back of the net. 

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Yes, fair enough, can't argue with that.

The feelings are historical with me. I always associate selling our best players with going backwards. As a kid fell I gutted when I saw my idols turning out for some-one else. I'd be be depressed for weeks. It started with Roy Vernon and continued with Pickering, England and so on.

We always have been a "selling club" and I've adopted the attitude late in life that if some youth player turns out to be brilliant then I won't see him for long.

There was a difference with the players you mention back then - at least we got a several good seasons out of them before getting massive fees.  Now they are whisked away at the first sign of star ability for a knock down price.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

No different to West Brom in midweek. We didn’t look like scoring then and we don’t now. Tomasson out

And yet we did on both occasions, to win 6 points and take 10 from a possible 12 against both play off rivals this season, after taking 4 points off Watford.

All whilst without the reliable striker that he wanted out of 2 transfer windows, and the top quality midfielder we're wrangling with the EFL about.

We're in 7th, level on points with 5th and a point off 4th, with a league cup run to the last 16 and a FA Cup run to the 5th round so far.

Did I enjoy the 1st 45 mins yesterday? No, but a match is 90+ mins long so overall I'm happy. TBF JDT warned us to be patient pre match. It was the same way we played at Swansea, but we were on fire up front then.  BBD is off form  Gallagher is struggling to impact games & Dack is knackered / now injured, hopefully not seriously. 

I do wonder what more folk expect JDT to do atm when you take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

Edit: all said above by others in between times, but happy I'm not alone in my musings!

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 1