BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 18/2/23

2 minutes ago, superniko said:

Interesting tactic, play shit for a half to lure a team into thinking you’re shit?

Contain a team that want to pass through you and can’t do much from out wide, to get the very arrogant coach to make his team tactically uncomfortable and then shift up a gear. You’ve just watched it happen.

• Like 5

Just now, Bethnal said:

Contain a team that want to pass through you and can’t do much from out wide, to get the very arrogant coach to make his team tactically uncomfortable and then shift up a gear. You’ve just watched it happen.

Listen I’m delighted with how we performed 2nd half, thought we were really good. But that’s total nonsense. 

Just now, superniko said:

Listen I’m delighted with how we performed 2nd half, thought we were really good. But that’s total nonsense. 

You’re absolutely entitled to think that, but I’m just describing what happened. We contained them in the first half and played with a low line of engagement. They came out more open in the second half and we pressed nearly a full third of the pitch higher. We battered them in the second half, although our final product wasn’t up to scratch.

I might be influenced by the fact that I think Russell Martin is a dick, but I honestly think that’s how it panned out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

You’re absolutely entitled to think that, but I’m just describing what happened. We contained them in the first half and played with a low line of engagement. They came out more open in the second half and we pressed nearly a full third of the pitch higher. We battered them in the second half, although our final product wasn’t up to scratch.

I might be influenced by the fact that I think Russell Martin is a dick, but I honestly think that’s how it panned out.

Yeah agree completely with the sentiment of the 2nd half. I just don’t believe it was a tactical double bluff to play like that in the first half. (Also agree about Martin)
Either way, 3 points, puts us in a great position for Blackpool! We can all get behind that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

I think we just tried to do what we did to them away, sit off, be compact and when we win it back, hit it over the top. They sat their defence deeper when they had it so we couldn't do that, and had to just knock it about aimlessly when we won it back - so basically we just did what they always do... Leading to probably the worst half of football humanity has ever witnessed.

HT team talk probably went along the lines of... Fuck it, these guys are shit, just get in their faces.

• Like 2

Just now, superniko said:

Yeah agree completely with the sentiment of the 2nd half. I just don’t believe it was a tactical double bluff to play like that in the first half. (Also agree about Martin)
Either way, 3 points, puts us in a great position for Blackpool! We can all get behind that. 

I think the opening stages we weren’t playing as intended, hence that point where JDT shouted all the players over to bollock them, but we subsequently sat pretty tidily for the remainder of that half, so it looks to me like he wanted them to frustrate Swansea intentionally.

We’ve also not come out of the traps at half-time like that for a good little while, by my memory.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t mind seeing this exact performance - with refinement - when I make it up to Ewood in March for the Burnley game. Exactly the same principles at play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm confused that you see 20 minutes of football and 90 minutes of football as being the same in terms of strain on the body. You've played football, right?

Ok.

The point somebody initially made was the manager was right not to start Dack and some posters were wrong to disagree with him being left on the bench. 

If a player is fit - he should be able to play 90 mins with lesser risk of injury.

Start the player. 

If he isn't fit, he should be out of the matchday squad.

If he isn't fit (and only the player/JDT will know this,  bringing him into a game which is becoming frenetic - off the bench, doesn't really make sense. Surely the player is at the same -or greater risk  of injury - which happened.

So you can argue JDT was sensible not to start him but stupid for throwing him on.

But I'm happy to bow to your/Bethnell's opinion

even though I'm not quite  sure what it is 😂

Anyway, off out for a pint.  Enjoy your evening chaps 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XLM said:

I think we just tried to do what we did to them away, sit off, be compact and when we win it back, hit it over the top. They sat their defence deeper when they had it so we couldn't do that, and had to just knock it about aimlessly when we won it back - so basically we just did what they always do... Leading to probably the worst half of football humanity has ever witnessed.

HT team talk probably went along the lines of... Fuck it, these guys are shit, just get in their faces.

I guess the point of difference here is me thinking we’ve set out with a game plan for the 90 minutes and you placing more emphasis on the fact that they’ve turned up very shit and we’ve responded to that. I don’t think your point of view is any less valid than mine, it could just be that.

1 minute ago, Bethnal said:

I guess the point of difference here is me thinking we’ve set out with a game plan for the 90 minutes and you placing more emphasis on the fact that they’ve turned up very shit and we’ve responded to that. I don’t think your point of view is any less valid than mine, it could just be that.

Aye, same outcome regardless. Awful first half to watch, decent second, and a much needed win. Just hope we set out like the second half at home from now on, at least gets the crowd involved to our advantage a bit

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Watford away, west brom away, swansea at home

5 points! Great return.  And that is without any striker!!

Agreed. These 3 results are the stuff of playoffs. Getting tough draws and winning at home.

Blackpool will be pretty indicative of whether we can get into the playoffs. If we have had a wobble and the regular wins come back - the 2 away draws being the start of our uptick in form - we may do it. If we botch that game it's probably1 step forward, 1 step back. 

• Like 4

That first half was as bad as 'modern' football gets - 1 team endlessly passing the ball in triangles (them) and one team containing them (us). Dull, dull,dull. I think we had one shot when Dolan screwed one wide on about 30 minutes. Every time we got to the halfway line we turned back because we didn't have a clue what to do with it. Dreadful.

2nd half we actually passed it quicker and got men up the pitch. I thought Buckley and Travis were good 2nd half. Buckley is a playmaker, it's just he gets complacent and gives the ball away needlessly, but we're a better team with him in it, and he provided the games best passes. Travis is back to being Travis, driving the team forward and getting in the oppo's faces. 

Pickering played well and put in some good crosses 2nd half. Thomas did ok too but fell over far too easily and rarely got the freekick he played for. 

Gally, Dolan and BBD were all more positive 2nd half. Gally will always get stick but he puts a phenomenal amount of work in for the team, he 's just not a natural in front of goal. BBD had a good 2nd half and looked full of running, and Dolan is always really positive when he gets the ball, he's just a bit one-dimensional.

Excellent save by Pears first half on the rebound after they hit the bar. Didn't have a lot else to do. 

Back 3 were all good, but special mention for Carter, I've never seen him have a bad game. He was exceptional today, quick and strong and good on the ball. 

Great win, good to see the crowd getting into it 2nd half, and results have gone for us today too. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Tony’s team going great guns. It’s galling to see Mowbray doing well and I wouldn’t want him back but there’s no doubt we’re a worse outfit this season. Tomasson isn’t an upgrade 

I think that's rather presumptuous.

He's had to begin a pretty much total rebuild given the crappy squad left by Mowbray.  JDT deserves next season to hopefully show us what he's about with a squad more in his image.

Yes, Mowbray is over-achieving but we all know how that will end - Sunderland out of the play-off places by the end of the season...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Hayden Carter has proved in the last few games that we were right to keep him and is easily going to be a good cb at this level

A number on here seemed pleased for him to head off elsewhere earlier in the season!

Good win today but I just don’t see where the goals are coming from - especially if Dack and Brereton are out for a few weeks. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Comparing forwards that have been given a fair opportunity.  Nuno gomes for example was at the club 2 minutes. He was vastly superior.  Gallagher has never done anything worthy of being a Rovers forward 

Gallagher was a far better player in his initial loan ....

Ultimately one thing really matters in professional football and if my team play poorly but win then the playing aspect is somewhat inconsequential. Of course I want to win in style playing fast flowing, attacking football but winning any way is the be all end all for me. On the day I thought our decision making was poor overall and too many players wanted too much time  and too many touches of the ball and I sure Tomasson will have his criticisms which he will hopefully look to rectify with the players. The tempo was painfully slow far too often and Swansea will consider themselves unfortunate as I thought they were better than us. From the majority of fans perspective though the objective of winning was achieved, I really am ambivalent to the way we do it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'm willing to bet Gallagher would have missed that chance the poacher Ayala netted. I like Sam Gallagher, he's not a lazy player and does try.  But he's not scored since what October now?

That was true for Brereton too until this week wasn't it? Shocking goal droughts they've been on, even if they'd just notched 2 or 3 each in that period we would probably still be in a strong position in the playoffs breathing down Boro's neck. Depends when they're scored of course.

Delighted we won that game today. 

First half display by us wasn't good enough. Sat too deep, no pressing the ball high(when we did we won the ball back)enough, poor touches and couldn't get forward with quality apart from Dolan shot. Swansea created one great opportunity to score but hit the bar and Pears got the rebound header. Apart from that they created very well for their possession

Second half, we shown a very different performance, pressing high and closing down quickly and more tempo and movement with the passing. Diaz and Dack both went off injured plus Gallagher gone off I didn't think we would score but delighted when Ayala came in with the diving header and put in the back of the net. 

I am delighted with the 3 points and the clean sheet. I thought we better second attacking wise but lack that quality finisher, but we got the win and the 3 points. 

7th and level points with Sunderland and Millwall who are 5th and 6th. 

Well done Rovers and JDT's Blue and White Army 🔵

• Like 3

I was tearing my hair out with frustration sat in the Blackburn end first half, giving the ball away cheaply and passes going astray. We were better 2nd half, Diaz unlucky not to score again and great goal from Ayala. I thought man of the match was between Dolan and Carter, with Carter getting the verdict.What price Ayalas 89th minute winner come the end of the season.

• Like 2