BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 18/2/23

17 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Tony’s team going great guns. It’s galling to see Mowbray doing well and I wouldn’t want him back but there’s no doubt we’re a worse outfit this season. Tomasson isn’t an upgrade 

If only you'd waited another 20 minutes....

Like I said above, patience is sometimes needed over the course of a match, let alone a month & a season. Plenty of time for almost any outcome to come from this season, besides perhaps top 2 and almost certainly bottom 3.

Let's not forget, although we're not scoring many we're conceding even less currently, even without our 1st choice back 4 & keeper. "Build from the back" was a mantra often quoted last season as the basis for a strong team where we consistently failed (as did Sunderland yesterday), yet JDT seems to be getting little credit for progress in that dept.

• Like 7

I would say that yesterdays win shows we now can find a way to win games without Breo and Dack.... it means massive for the coming games if these two are out. I think we will see a an attack with Dolan, Gally and Thomas against Blackpool..... all these players need to find the back of the net soon and if they cant against Blackpool I cant see them do it ever. It would had nice to have an Markandy with Breo and Dack surely missing tuesdays game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neophox said:

I would say that yesterdays win shows we now can find a way to win games without Breo and Dack.... it means massive for the coming games if these two are out. I think we will see a an attack with Dolan, Gally and Thomas against Blackpool..... all these players need to find the back of the net soon and if they cant against Blackpool I cant see them do it ever. It would had nice to have an Markandy with Breo and Dack surely missing tuesdays game. 

It was a mistake letting Markanday go before we got a replacement in. He was on the bench at Aberdeen yesterday. Hirst not impressing at Ipswich apparently.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Just some 12,000 home fans on yesterday and in our league position...the good folk of Blackburn are not exactly falling in love with Tomasson Ball!

We gave Mowbray 5 years of patience.... but what do people expect with our team???? I was expecting Tomasson to save us from relegation to be fair.....he's done extremely well and the team can only get better. 

• Like 4

Just some 12,000 home fans on yesterday and in our league position...the good folk of Blackburn are not exactly falling in love with Tomasson Ball!

Two home games in the space of a few days and one of them a derby of sorts might have been a perfect time for some kind of imaginative tickets offer.

• Like 4

Look at it.  Tomasson got a loanee from a relegation struggling side and thats it.... we also lost Markandy to Aberdeen and Hirst to Ipswich...the latter nothing to grudge about. It woud need a miracle to compete for a play off this season. If we do its a big bonus.

9,000 ST holders, so 3,000 walk ons. Pretty standard. If we had PNE, Bolton levels of ST holders yesterday would’ve been a significantly higher crowd.

Increase ST holders, increase gates. Simple as that (not that I expect this style of football coupled with some of the most expensive ST in the league in the midst of a cost of living crisis to lead to that).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Two home games in the space of a few days and one of them a derby of sorts might have been a perfect time for some kind of imaginative tickets offer.

They’ve stopped bothering with ticket offers for league games by the looks of it. So they literally have now ‘done all they can’.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

19 february..... 1p from fourth place. Would you have taken it before the start of the season?

Five games in a row without losing.

Millwall beating Sheff U .....Middlesbrough winning... Sunderland drop points at home to Bristol C in the last minute... still a long season... 

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was a mistake letting Markanday go before we got a replacement in. He was on the bench at Aberdeen yesterday. Hirst not impressing at Ipswich apparently.

I guess Thomas has replaced Markandy, till the end of the season anyway?

26 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

9,000 ST holders, so 3,000 walk ons. Pretty standard. If we had PNE, Bolton levels of ST holders yesterday would’ve been a significantly higher crowd.

Increase ST holders, increase gates. Simple as that (not that I expect this style of football coupled with some of the most expensive ST in the league in the midst of a cost of living crisis to lead to that).

Delighted and surprised where we find ourselves in the league, we are competing for a play off space and that is not something I expected at the beginning of the season. As a Rovers fan, I’m not much bothered about entertaining and I’ll take a poor performance and a win, all day long. However, for some it will be a consideration when deciding whether to buy a Season Ticket or attend a match. 

I did think last season that Rovers were at a watershed with ST but somehow, we managed to sell nearly 9k. Poor against the local competition but not too bad considering the price point and proposition and would have been significantly if Mowbray had stayed on. This year, I really fear for sales unless they take a totally new approach, we need low price to generate volume.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Penwortham Blue said:

This year, I really fear for sales unless they take a totally new approach, we need low price to generate volume.

Which they won’t, as Swag is on record stating how delighted he is with present ticket policies. Another increase in price is more likely.

46 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Most of the 3000 walk-ons, are the ones who would be persuaded to be season ticket holders, if the season tickets were reasonably priced. So I don't think there would be a great increase in gates, just in the number of season ticket holders.

Edited by rigger

There would be an increase, always been the case here. Whenever home crowds increase or decrease from the previous season, that is down to an equivalent increase or decrease in purchased STs that summer. Always very noticeable in the early months of a season.

Edited by Mattyblue

23 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

We last sored 3 against the mighty Rotherham in October. 

I'm hoping for a scrappy 1-0 or 2-1 win. It's normally the best we can hope for. 

If we want to stay in the play-off hunt we really do need 3 points today. 

@Mercer  follow my betting tips and you'll never be short of a Vinho Verde ever again.

PM me for the Blackpool result. The usual fees apply. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 47er said:

I guess Thomas has replaced Markandy, till the end of the season anyway?

Markanday was nowhere near good enough to be a first team player, Thomas is. Markanday may be one for the future.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

I don’t disagree but equally, I’m not confident that we’d regularly get higher attendances regardless of price. We’ve been in the play off spots for a decent portion of the last two seasons and attendance figures have largely been static - even with cheaper midweek tickets. The club certainly need to be more imaginative but barring one off games, Im not sure we’ll see decent attendances until/if we make the PL.

Edited by magicalmortensleftpeg

9 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I don’t disagree but equally, I’m not confident that we’d regularly get higher attendances regardless of price. We’ve been in the play off spots for a decent portion of the last two seasons and attendance figures have largely been static - even with cheaper midweek tickets. The club certainly need to be more imaginative but barring one off games, Im not sure we’ll see decent attendances until/if we make the PL.

I think several of the issues also include fluffing it repeatedly whenever we have looked like playoffs. Last year we plummeted from 2nd and even under a very talented GB team we didn't make playoffs. Given we've never been in them once under Vs and our deadline day transfer debacle you can see why fans may be a tad unenthused, before we even consider the general state of the club or the Dominic climate. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

A one off Saturday afternoon game at a tenner, no strings attached does work, all these daft bundles with caveats they do (or used to, judging by their absence this season) don’t.

Generally, of course ‘big crowds’ aren’t coming back on a regular basis in this division. For any potential new/returning fan prices are now £430-£530. 30% up on 2019/2020. Most clubs have looked to re-engage post Covid and cost of living with frozen or reduced pricing, we’ve gone in a vastly different direction. A club with this fanbase and demographics aren’t flooding in at those price points for second tier football.

On your first point, actually crowds are now 2k+ higher than the first part of last season, purely due to getting ST sales up from under 7k to over 9k… and that’s at these vastly increased prices. A side towards the top has driven that.

To push that further, as Preston and Bolton have proven this season, cheaper (note, cheaper, not given away) STs are the way, as it’s ST holders that make up the vast bulk of bums on seats.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Thomas couldn't get in the Huddersfield side and they are relegation fodder! He has been poor - says it all!!!

I wouldn't say he has been poor. But in my opinion, he will bring more to the Rovers this season, than Markanday would have. 

• Like 2