BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (a) - 1/4/23

Hi all

Birmingham away 1st April tickets released.

I'm travelling up from Bristol. Would be good to meet up with some rovers fans for a beer before if anyone is interested?

Also looking for good recommendations for pubs near the ground.

Cheers

Neil 

10 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Hi all

I'm travelling up from Bristol. Would be good to meet up with some rovers fans for a beer before if anyone is interested?

Cheers

Neil 

City center has the best boozers, shame there is a rail strike that day. 

• Like 1

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Birmingham City (a) - 1/4/23
  • Herbie6590 pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

Hi all

Cheers

Neil 

There's a smattering of good, very traditional pubs at the St Andrews side of Birmingham city centre, however I cannot vouch for what these are like on matchdays. The safest bet is the city centre, but it all depends on what your 'scene' is pub-wise! The best 'old boys discussing ale' pubs is the Wellington, for European stuff but traditional vibe the Post Office Vaults is the one. Modern stuff you have the Head of Steam and North Taproom (ed: name corrected! - Sommar is also very good and similar) by Snow Hill. The Colmore and Good Intent are also well recommended, both brand new-ish with a good atmosphere and array of beer. Also your usual array of Spoons if that more your thing. Of all those I've given, I think the Good Intent (upstairs) is the only one to show live sport.

Edited by GHR
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

Hi all

Cheers

Neil 

I'd stay clear of St Andrews - it's about a 30 minute walk from the town centre, less if you decide to drink in Digbeth

It would all depend on what you are looking for. The issue with Brum is that it is spread out.

Broad Street is where you will find your Walkabout, Wetherspoons etc. It is also quite close to Brindley Place, where you'll find the Brasshouse, Malt House, Slug and Lettuce, All Bar One, Pitcher and Piano - them kind of venues. The Malt House is good to drink at when it's a sunny day as there's a nice bar overlooking the Venice of England's entry into the Gas Basin

If you are coming out of New Street you'll be close to the Shakespear, Post Office, Bacchus Bar (bit of a quiet one that but quite interesting inside)

Snow Hill side of Brum you'll have the Old Contemptibles and Good Intent - you are also close to Colmore Row, which has its cocktail bars and restaurants, and the Old Joint Stock pub which is a nice pub to visit. The building is brilliant

The Wellington on Bennetts Hill is a nice pub too. Got a beer garden between the buildings that's always a nice spot to drink at

If you decide to head straight into Digbeth and be closer to the ground then the best option is The Old Crown. Unsure what it is like on match day. There's also the Anchor and the Spotted Dog just outside of Drietend side of Digbeth

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'd stay clear of St Andrews - it's about a 30 minute walk from the town centre, less if you decide to drink in Digbeth

It would all depend on what you are looking for. The issue with Brum is that it is spread out.

Broad Street is where you will find your Walkabout, Wetherspoons etc. It is also quite close to Brindley Place, where you'll find the Brasshouse, Malt House, Slug and Lettuce, All Bar One, Pitcher and Piano - them kind of venues. The Malt House is good to drink at when it's a sunny day as there's a nice bar overlooking the Venice of England's entry into the Gas Basin

If you are coming out of New Street you'll be close to the Shakespear, Post Office, Bacchus Bar (bit of a quiet one that but quite interesting inside)

Snow Hill side of Brum you'll have the Old Contemptibles and Good Intent - you are also close to Colmore Row, which has its cocktail bars and restaurants, and the Old Joint Stock pub which is a nice pub to visit. The building is brilliant

The Wellington on Bennetts Hill is a nice pub too. Got a beer garden between the buildings that's always a nice spot to drink at

If you decide to head straight into Digbeth and be closer to the ground then the best option is The Old Crown. Unsure what it is like on match day. There's also the Anchor and the Spotted Dog just outside of Drietend side of Digbeth

Some great places in that write up Dreams.

I spent quite a bit of time at Digbeth Dining Club when I lived down that way. Loved Old Joint Stock, Hen and Chicken Dessi Pub/Indian food to die for.

Happy days, great City. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Is st Andrews different to where the ground is? I'm not familiar with Brum. Cheers

16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

st andrews is the ground itself,not wise to hang around the vicinity,especially in club colours,birmingham fans are not friendliest

Cheers. 

Old crown and spotted dog seem like good spots. Not too far from the ground. Keen to meet up with some rovers fans before the game.. safety in numbers! Haha! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Some great places in that write up Dreams.

I spent quite a bit of time at Digbeth Dining Club when I lived down that way. Loved Old Joint Stock, Hen and Chicken Dessi Pub/Indian food to die for.

Happy days, great City. 

Best city in England Gav. Having grown up here it is very close to my heart 

Digbeth dining club was the place to be for years. The perfect location for some good food and beer for a night in town. When we were younger we’d roll out of there and into Lab 11. I’m 30 next month and can say them days are behind me now. In any case DDC has moved to Hockley, a fantastic venue tbf. Very close to the Jewellery Quarter which is a day out in itself 

DDC has been replaced with Mama Roux which, if people are stopping over night in Brum, is an amazing night out

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Cheers. 

Old crown and spotted dog seem like good spots. Not too far from the ground. Keen to meet up with some rovers fans before the game.. safety in numbers! Haha! 

Unfortunately Neil I’m moving on that day otherwise I’d be there. But if you want any other help or tips on where to go in parts of the city feel free to message

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Along with Sky TV these rail strikes are taking the pee now. We've done well to maintain decent away followings because they're constantly making it hard work.

Yeh agreed. It's not been too helpful.

Proud of the 6k fans who made it to Sheffield at the weekend.

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Along with Sky TV these rail strikes are taking the pee now. We've done well to maintain decent away followings because they're constantly making it hard work.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23400216.norwich-city-players-subsidise-tickets-blackburn-rovers-fixture/

Just read this. Good on Norwich to be fair. £1-10 tickets.

Shame Rovers can't subsidise away tickets for the traveling fans!

Rovers should be aiming for 4th as 3rd seems a little too much now, finishing 4th beating Luton to it, last thing we want with our record there is going to that shithole against those bully boys with what is likely a narrow lead at best, we would need to do a serious job on them at ewood in the 1st, ideally nick a win or take a draw to ewood. 

as for the Birmingham game, I wanna see garret in there for morton, carry on the way we are we should beat Birmingham with ease 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neilbristol said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23400216.norwich-city-players-subsidise-tickets-blackburn-rovers-fixture/

Just read this. Good on Norwich to be fair. £1-10 tickets.

Shame Rovers can't subsidise away tickets for the traveling fans!

I spoke to Waggott on this very subject a few years ago. The kick off for our last away match at Norwich was put back to 7.30 and Rovers laid on free coach travel for fans. I initially emailed Lindsey Talbot with a suggestion that it would be fairer to knock money off the ticket price in the interests of fairness. I knew of people going to their first away match to take advantage of this offer (I have no problem with that) and fans who drive, to by train or live away from Blackburn but to go most away matches were being overlooked. She said they couldn't do that but I sent her a link to the Norwich website in which they were doing exactly that for an upcoming game of theirs at Wigan. So then Swag takes up the cudgel, calls me and tells me what a good idea it was but it was too late to do anything for the Norwich game but they would do it in future to make sure every fan get a benefit.

They subsidised tickets for Leicester but didn't on Sunday. One caveat for the subsidy on Sunday was that they used double decker buses with no real facilities and awfully uncomfortable but a lot cheaper. In my opinion this was simply to mitigate the subsidy they were offering.

• Like 2

They weren't ALL double decker buses, some looked like decent coaches. I ended up on a bus myself and it was crap, the driver and 'steward' were right miserable/arrogant swines too. They obviously had to use companies that they don't typically use due to demand, as it was cheap though I let it slide. We struggled to organise private transport as Rovers had tapped up a lot of local companies, I'll not be going 'official' again if I can help it though 

• Like 2

So there's another example of Rovers bullshit exposed - the suggestion that we can't subsidise away tickets - proven to be wrong

This sits alongside the recent proof that we can charge home fans less than away fans and in doing so get more into Ewood whilst protecting away revenues. 

They'll tell us anything but it doesn't take much to catch them out.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Looking forward to this one and even more so now the train strikes are cancelled. Going to head up and watch the lunchtime game (Liverpool v Man City) in a pub near the station before making my way over to St Andrews. 

Great will join you. Hopefully we can get a few rovers fans together! Some good pub suggestions in the posts above..

If you decide to head straight into Digbeth and be closer to the ground then the best option is The Old Crown..  There's also the Anchor and the Spotted Dog just outside of Drietend side of Digbeth

Shall we pick one of those ?