BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

between 20 to 25 million 

I agree if the bids were touching at that 25 million mark it would really force the club to begin considering the offers. I'd still be pained to see us accept.

Personally though, given the amount of first team action he's seen thus far, I don't think it's realistic that clubs will offer that amount. I think they will try some cheeky bids of around 8 million which would represent a relatively low risk gamble for Premier League teams. 

• Like 1

Morton out for the season.

I know I've been crying out for Wharton to play more games, and this will now force the issue, but I can't say this is how I wanted it to happen. My concern is it's now basically just Wharton, because Buckley is out, that can play this playmaking role in CM. If he gets injured tomorrow for example, we're buggered. It also means he can't really be brought off when tiring, meaning he could build fatigue quickly and not play at the standard he can earlier in games too. Fortunately there are only three games left, potentially six if we scrape the playoffs.

Probably can't play the sort of midfield 3 we've played lately that's looked alright either. It'll probably have to be two spoilers and Adam, if we do. You could maybe bring Szmodics back there, but he looked dangerous against Preston playing further up.

9 hours ago, philipl said:

I am certain the plan is not to sell either Adam or Ash this summer.

That isn't to say a silly money offer would be refused but it would be beyond daft to plan to sell either this year. Broughton talks about creating value ie maximising. Not a car boot sale of future worldies.

Dortmund paid £25m for Bellingham as a 17 year old in 2020.

That is the yard stick for any offers this sumer.

Bellingham had played a full season in the Championship and had just got EFL young player of the year when he was sold,Adam has played 10 games and still has  a way to go to be sold for that money

Keep him one more year but play him, make his summer fitness training lol.  Needs a full season under his belt, Bellingham was playing whilst at school lol, much more pedigree than Wharton. Hes definitely got something about him, but to maximise our return he needs more games under his belt.

Really depressing seeing so many people resigned to/advocating him being sold already. We aren’t Crewe. Personally I want to see an Adam Wharton inspired victory against the Dingles tonight, and eventually him playing for us in the Premier League. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Plus sell on %, and performance related clauses. He is contracted for a while yet - so all becomes a question of how much teams want him. A big gamble - but how many regret not buying Bellingham when they had the chance.

City and Chelsea both tried to sign him when he was 12 but his family turned the move down.

Chelsea offered his mum and dad £40k a year each and a house to move to London (and quit their jobs in the police). He would then have got a £1m signing on fee when he turned 17. His parents 'job' was basically to take him to training.

People knew how good he was at a very young age and had tried to buy him before.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

City and Chelsea both tried to sign him when he was 12 but his family turned the move down.

Chelsea offered his mum and dad £40k a year each and a house to move to London (and quit their jobs in the police). He would then have got a £1m signing on fee when he turned 17. His parents 'job' was basically to take him to training.

People knew how good he was at a very young age and had tried to buy him before.

That just shows how much money these clubs have got to throw around. That would have been a major gamble, the lad could have got a serious injury at any time.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

That kind of thing really ought to be illegal where the feck are the FA and governing bodies with stuff like that ?

Oh yeah i forgot, in the pockets of the money men themselves.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Wow interesting that one.

I guess his parents were looking after his welfare very carefully and maybe being a Rovers family helped.

Good on them though.

Tonight is the sort of game, where I love a home grown player and fan playing. It is Dunn mark too, in terms of recent times and hope he can break their hearts like Dunny did.

1 minute ago, lraC said:

I guess his parents were looking after his welfare very carefully and maybe being a Rovers family helped.

Good on them though.

Tonight is the sort of game, where I love a home grown player and fan playing. It is Dunn mark too, in terms of recent times and hope he can break their hearts like Dunny did.

LeftWinger was writing about Bellingham at Birmingham!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lraC said:

Good on them though.

I was told this story in 2015 by someone who worked with his dad. I didn't know the name at the time - just told to keep an eye out for a 12 year old who was at Birmingham City.

EDIT: And as pointed out above it was about Bellingham

Edited by LeftWinger

9 minutes ago, philipl said:

Where is Adam most likely to get first team football next season?

Couldn't agree more. Now is not the time to sell and I don't think there's any chance they will this summer.

His value will only rocket in the next season or two 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Really depressing seeing so many people resigned to/advocating him being sold already. We aren’t Crewe. Personally I want to see an Adam Wharton inspired victory against the Dingles tonight, and eventually him playing for us in the Premier League. 

I think this fallacy of selling and reinvesting in the team has long gone, perhaps by a dozen years. Sell a real asset like Adam and the reality is most of it will go to offset the losses. Here's a novel approach for the owners. Keep him, rebuff and offers, coach him, play him regularly and I think whatever his value is now will double in no time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think this fallacy of selling and reinvesting in the team has long gone, perhaps by a dozen years. Sell a real asset like Adam and the reality is most of it will go to offset the losses. Here's a novel approach for the owners. Keep him, rebuff and offers, coach him, play him regularly and I think whatever his value is now will double in no time.

I agree with you to a certain extent but the problem is the player holds all the cards. If he wants to leave, he’ll be gone irrespective of what the fans or the club want.

That’s why all this talk of a “ project “ is bollocks. You never get the chance to keep players long enough to build a squad. The only alternative for teams in our situation is to build a team of players that aren’t particularly in demand and forge them into an effective match winning unit. That may involve a degree of “ ale house “ football. A bit like what Luton or Millwall have done. If Luton don’t go up this season how many of their players will be up for big money moves ?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with you to a certain extent but the problem is the player holds all the cards. If he wants to leave, he’ll be gone irrespective of what the fans or the club want.

That’s why all this talk of a “ project “ is bollocks. You never get the chance to keep players long enough to build a squad. 

100%

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s why all this talk of a “ project “ is bollocks. You never get the chance to keep players long enough to build a squad. The only alternative for teams in our situation is to build a team of players that aren’t particularly in demand and forge them into an effective match winning unit. That may involve a degree of “ ale house “ football. A bit like what Luton or Millwall have done. If Luton don’t go up this season how many of their players will be up for big money moves ?

He is contracted with until 2027 so if he didn't want to stay (and we wanted to keep him) the only way he would have to force a move. If he did that it wouldn't do his reputation any good. He has good people around him who know what is best for him and advise him accordingly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He is contracted with until 2027 so if he didn't want to stay (and we wanted to keep him) the only way he would have to force a move. If he did that it wouldn't do his reputation any good. He has good people around him who know what is best for him and advise him accordingly.

and if he’s offered triple the money he’s on here at a top club he’d want to move wouldn’t he? I would.

Edited by den

4 minutes ago, den said:

and if he’s offered triple the money he’s on here at a top club he’d want to move wouldn’t he? I would.

Of course he might. I really believe that will come naturally though as he progresses and get a chunk of Championship games under his belt. At his age going to a top club would mean either playing in the under 21's of being loaned out. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Let’s hope so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I was told this story in 2015 by someone who worked with his dad. I didn't know the name at the time - just told to keep an eye out for a 12 year old who was at Birmingham City.

EDIT: And as pointed out above it was about Bellingham

Sorry I miss read that.