BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

Posted (edited)

PL scouting isn’t based on U21 caps or even just assists, they are looking for that ‘wow’ factor and he had it.

But maybe you’re right, maybe the rest of us are. But it is only a debate because of the owners flogging him as soon as they feasibly could, a distressed seller is never going to get top whack - but yes, if it was, say, next January that he was sold his price could well have shot up post another year of assists, goals and U21 caps, and he would still have years left on his contract.

We’ll never know because of the club killers in situ.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

PL scouting isn’t based on U21 caps or even just assists, they are looking for that ‘wow’ factor and he had it.

But maybe you’re right, maybe the rest of us are. But it is only a debate because of the owners flogging him as soon as they feasibly could, a distressed seller is never going to get top whack - but yes, if it was, say, next January that he was sold his price could well have shot up post another year of assists, goals and U21 caps, and he would still have years left on his contract.

We’ll never know because of the club killers in situ.

I agree he shouldn't have been sold ,I agree it was shit money for his ability what I disagree with is the theory we would have been getting 25/30 /35 million bids in the summer .

Agreed about the scouting and wow factor but nobody bit apart from palace in January at such a bargain price 

Edited by islander200

All it took really was a bidding war and Rovers maybe setting a price that was within reach, but not relatively a giveaway price. 

That could well have happened this summer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Dortmund took a gamble on Bellingham and it paid off. But they paid Birmingham what he was worth at the time and he could easily have been a flop. Wharton is the same; he's started well  but there's no guarantee he will be worth tens of millions. Rovers got a good price for him and it was the maximum anyone was willing to pay. The real scandal is that the money has / will not be reinvested in new players

You know the score Jim, how much of a gamble do you think Wharton was going to be ? I’ve been watching football for longer than I care to think about and I think I know what a top player looks like. They look like Wharton. Even Damian Duff didn’t impress me as much as this lad at a similar age. The lad will be a play making machine as long as he doesn’t get injured.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You know the score Jim, how much of a gamble do you think Wharton was going to be ? I’ve been watching football for longer than I care to think about and I think I know what a top player looks like. They look like Wharton. Even Damian Duff didn’t impress me as much as this lad at a similar age. The lad will be a play making machine as long as he doesn’t get injured.

Yes, he's the best we've had to come through the ranks for many years. But people are / were getting carried away with his valuation at this stage of his career. We put a price on his head and there was only one club willing to pay it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes, he's the best we've had to come through the ranks for many years. But people are / were getting carried away with his valuation at this stage of his career. We put a price on his head and there was only one club willing to pay it. 

The price was too low. Don't think anybody reasonably expected more than 30 at the absolute most, but I feel we would have been looking at 25 mill or so in the summer when the big clubs went onto a new FFP cycle.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

we couldn't get more as I explained cos the lack of PL clubs being allow to spend due to their PL FFP rules. Yes we might have got more in the summer but depends who would be available 

and to think some on this board thought we wouldn't get the fee we did for Wharton

depends what they sell him for. It could more if more bigger clubs can spend money. Its £18m plus £4.5m then any sell on fee so it could be £30m plus 

I agree here, no way would any PL club or European club pay that sort of fee for championship player. His stock has risen cos of his good PL performances and showing his talent and quality against PL teams

Always agree that what the Club has done is correct. that's your position.

If we could have have got more in the summer then we should have waited. Just common sense.

This is a once in a generation player we're talking about. Means nothing to the owners.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Agreed.

Rovers supporters aren't unique in this respect, but we'll also then expect our incomings to all be great deals under the logic of 'he's only proven in League 1' or 'he's only played a season in the Championship'.

We got a good price for a player of his age with his level of experience. 

The problem will be that we sold him in a rush and that the funds aren't available to strengthen the squad. If we were about to reinvest 20m then things would look a lot better and you could justify the sale. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Always agree that what the Club has done is correct. that's your position.

Really? Total BS! I would suggested you at my comments about the Commercial side of the club needed to better, better shirt sponsors, Rovers needed to lower their ST prices and match day prices to get more fans, poor food options within the stadium, lack of ST on sale currently, etc. 

The above proves what a load of BS your comments was that I Always agree what the club has done is correct! Wrong!

1 hour ago, 47er said:

If we could have have got more in the summer then we should have waited. Just common sense.

Maybe so maybe not. Simple we don't know. He is worth alot now cos more of his PL performances and showing his qualities in the PL against PL quality teams 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

It looks more like Palace made us an offer and we snatched their hand off to me.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We obviously didn’t get a good price as proven by the other 20 year old in the Championship.

It's in the top 15 highest transfer fees ever received for a Championship player under the age of 23.

There's a few bizarre ones ahead of him (Lavia in particular), but the list is mostly filled with players who were widely regarded as top talent, some had Premier League experience, and some even had international experience.

Yes, they got more for Alex Scott, but it isn't a bad deal. The issue is that we won't reinvest the money. It was the same problem when we sold Adam Armstrong and the same reason as to why many didn't want to see BBD sold as his deal was running down.

Other clubs would find a way to spin that transfer into a stronger squad. We will be left with a weaker squad and are now missing one of the few players that was genuinely enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The money wasn’t good, as the entire game knows full well, but I agree the fact we will spend zero of it is also not good, but the very reason why the money wasn’t good is also the reason we won’t be spending it - it was a fire sale.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Other clubs would find a way to spin that transfer into a stronger squad.

That's is exactly what we should be doing using the Wharton's money(£7m to £10m) to bring in 4 or 5 quality signings to improve the overall quality signings. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's is exactly what we should be doing using the Wharton's money(£7m to £10m) to bring in 4 or 5 quality signings to improve the overall quality signings. 

How on earth are we bringing in 4 or 5 quality players for 10 million?

Is that including wages? Let's say it isn't, you think we can average 2 million a player and get 5 quality players with it? Without even looking at how our club is run, that would be expecting us to have a 100% recruitment strategy.

Between Raya, Phillips, and Wharton, there's no excuse for there to not be 15m in the transfer kitty this summer (not including wages).

That would allow for a premium signing and a decent amount to be spent on 2 or 3 other players.

Sadly, that won't happen.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How on earth are we bringing in 4 or 5 quality players for 10 million?

Is that including wages? Let's say it isn't, you think we can average 2 million a player and get 5 quality players with it? Without even looking at how our club is run, that would be expecting us to have a 100% recruitment strategy.

easily. Do you want to give you the 5 names? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Backroom

Must admit I thought at the time we’d got as much as we’d reasonably expect given his obvious potential but limited chance to show it. 

That looks more than a bit silly now but I think it would have always taken a further move before the big big money came in, his value just wouldn’t be able to skyrocket like that unless he’d have played in the premier league:

Just wish that had been with us!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sure.

Keeper:- Johansson from Rotherham £900k or Iversen for £2m from Leicester

Right Back/Centre Midfielder:- Jamie Shackleton from Leeds free transfer. 

Right winger:- Sobra Thomas from Huddersfield £2.5m

Szmodics Replacement:- Harvey Knibbs from Reading 1.5m or Koji Miyoshi from Birmingham £2m

Striker :- Aaron Connelly from Hull free transfer or Jerry Yates from Swansea £3m or Duncan McGuire from Orlando £1m

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Keeper:- Johansson from Rotherham £900k or Iversen for £2m from Leicester

Right Back/Centre Midfielder:- Jamie Shackleton from Leeds free transfer. 

Right winger:- Sobra Thomas from Huddersfield £2.5m

Szmodics Replacement:- Harvey Knibbs from Reading 1.5m or Koji Miyoshi from Birmingham £2m

Striker :- Aaron Connelly from Hull free transfer or Jerry Yates from Swansea £3m or Duncan McGuire from Orlando £1m

Wait, so you have Szmodics leaving and you're still only reinvesting 7-10 million?

Also, I won't even bother to look into all of those figures, but why would Duncan McGuire be available for a fraction of the price that he was in January? You do know that there appear to be club options on his deal for a further 2 seasons?

IF we are also selling Szmodics (for, at the very least, 10 million), then it would still be unacceptable to only see 10 million spent this summer. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wait, so you have Szmodics leaving and you're still only reinvesting 7-10 million?

Also, I won't even bother to look into all of those figures, but why would Duncan McGuire be available for a fraction of the price that he was in January? You do know that there appear to be club options on his deal for a further 2 seasons?

IF we are also selling Szmodics (for, at the very least, 10 million), then it would still be unacceptable to only see 10 million spent this summer. 

Szmodics leaving is possibility. down to what offers we receive. I won't be accepting any offers less than £15m for him given he is prime years and scored 33 goals this season

McGuire has told Orlando he won't a new contract and his contract ends at end of 2024. I don't know where you get that there is club option for 2 more seasons. The LT ran the story that McGuire won't sign a new contract and free to leave at end of the season. 

It is a knocking bet that Szmodics will be gone and hopefully if he does, we will get a fair price for him.

Does anyone honestly hand on heart, believe we will spend even the figure we get for Szmodics?

I assume we will get a minimum if £10m but no way in this world will we be spending that amount.

One other thing to remember right now, is this court hearing does not guarantee that the owners will be given the green light to commence funding us again. Does anyone on here genuinely think it will be as simple as that?

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We'll be lucky to spend £700k - £1m this summer. 

We are absolutely not spending £10m+ this summer. 

People need some serious re-evaluation of their expectation levels.

• Like 3