SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry (h) 19/4/23 @ 19:45

5 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Is Dack back next week?

On bench yesterday but not come on 

Would you start him against PNE? 

3 hours ago, Blackpool_Rover said:

A lot of negativity on here. I’m quite relaxed about the whole thing. 2 good derby results and that should see us hit form and confidence at the right time for the play offs.

If we don’t get at least 4 points from the two games then we don’t deserve the play offs (I didn’t expect play offs this season anyway) and we go one step further next season.

I’m fully behind JDT. The people that aren’t…I’m not really sure what you expect 🙈

I agree I don't the negativity. Rovers are still in control of whether we get a playoff place or not. 

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I wouldn’t be majorly disappointed if Jdt did walk, I think we are letting a big opportunity slip, I don’t see the league being as weak next year 

Why would you want JDT walk? I just don't get this sort of mentally at all. He is vast improve on previous managers. 

Who would you replace him with? 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I was earlier than normal last night so had a walk round and bumped into somebody I have known for a long time and who has been employed in the football industry for many years. He told me he had a meeting with Broughton recently and that Broughton now occupies the office that was the managers office under the likes of Hughes, Allardyce and Mowbray. He didn't know where Tomasson's office is now. As they were coming out of the office Tomasson was walking down the corridor and not even a glance was exchanged between Tomasson and Broughton. The guy I was talking to said it was so strange that Broughton didn't introduce him to Tomasson. It also bears out a report in early February that essentially said the relationship between the two had broken down over the failure to bring in players in the positions Tomasson wanted.

JDT sits with the coaches together as one unit in coaches room. JDT choice by the way. 

2 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Just seen their hand goal on BBC Breakfast News. No way ref could have seen it. But........how unprofessional by their keeper.

If a bad foul was not punished by a ref then the EFL would bring in a retrospective charge. This is surely worthy of something from the powers who look after our beautiful game!

The ref was straight at the handball. 

2 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Probably the best candidate for the job...I dont believe JDT was ..

Which was JDT has he was selected by GB. 

Who the best candidate then? Any names or just anyone but JDT then. 

I don't just get why you are behind JDT at all as we are producing best results and are 6th. What more do you want? 

You still want JDT sack then? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I loath with a fierce passion not leaving player on the half way line at corners. 

Complete stupidity. 

We've never done it all season, it's insane. What's Dolan going to do in our own box? Leave him on the half way line. We seem to do everything we can to invite pressure.

Was thinking on the way home that it's the total polar opposite of the Allardyce "money ball" concept. All the percentages are against us!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Gallagher usually marks the front post, made a few clearances when he was on, Pears rarely comes. 
Who's taking Gally's place at that corner? It was a good corner, Pears doesn't come out or is blocked off, and we were disorganised, Brereton makes a poor attempt to meet the ball. Soon as Gallagher goes off we lose height at set pieces, you knew it was coming. I blame bad leadership and no one commanding our own 6 yard box.

Rovers boss Jon Dahl Tomasson was adamant Wilson bundled the ball in with his hand but when that was put to Robins, he quipped: “Well he is a goalie!"

What a twat Robins, presume he thinks he's been clever.

He then went on to say it hit his knee and why moan ! There is nothing worse when Managers, Coaches, Players etc continue to ignore the clear and irrefutable evidence of camera footage, just fucking fess up ! You’ve got the benefit at least be man enough to concede it shouldn’t have stood but thems the breaks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Yeah jdt overall I've been happy with for the most part. Look at some of the players we've lost in the last couple of seasons. Off the top of my head. Armstrong, Johnson, holtby, downing, nyambe, lenihan, rothwell, bell, Evans, Bennett, williams, graham and mulgrew.

Not saying they were all brilliant but they were starters and squad players. Vastly more experienced than what we currently have. We hopefully have at least three really good prospects coming through. In Wharton, Phillips and Leonard. It's an exciting time to be a fan of this club with just those three breaking into the first team.

The fact we're anywhere near top six with our squad is incredible. It doesn't mean that we should be like oh well we wer never expected to get in the play offs. For the last two years we've been there or there abouts. We're as good as Millwall or Luton. The manager should be desperate to make top six and then it's the lottery of the play offs. I think he's just comes across as calm whatever the result. Which can be frustrating for us as fans. But must be reassuring for such a young inexperienced squad. I'll wait until the season of finished before judging him as a manager but there has been far more good than bad this season. 

In fairness he comes across as calm but I have seen him getting very irate and moaning at fourth official a lot (sit near dugout) so I think it’s just his way of coming across as professional as he can. He definitely does care

1 hour ago, den said:

I agree with all of that Miller11.

I’m not particularly angry with the players this morning as some posters seem to be. I do feel sorry for them. To a man they worked their socks off. There were a lot of excellent performances and I really don’t think they could have done much more than they did. We are what we are, the players are who they are. Any shortcomings in this squad are entirely at the feet of the club management.

Keep putting the effort in for the remaining games. Make use of Wharton who’s a rolls Royce of a player. The lad has a technique as good as any young player we’ve had for as far back that I can remember. Enjoy him, he won’t be here long.

Whartons awareness is incredible. He seems to know exactly where a player bounding down on him is before he even gets the balls. Seems to have his decision on what he’ll do and who he’ll pass before the ball gets to him. 
Also think he reads the game well and gets into positions to break play up when the other team have the ball

• Like 3

Wharton is the player we need to take the pressure off, he can take the ball under pressure so he provides some relief and gives us a reliable option playing the ball out from defence. He can tackle and get stuck in too, so he has a presence. 

I think the Coventry players were told to target him in the second half as they got a lot more physical with him, he's not got much upper body strength currently but once he does he'll be even better.

Was saying to my old man on the way home, in recent games there feels like there's never been a midfield battle, no 2nd balls dropping and loose balls there to be won, just waves of attacks that break down, we had that last night and were able to mix it in the middle of the park. I'd forgotten what that felt like.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There is some real revisionism on here today. From an attacking point of view look what he inherited. He had Gallagher, almost universally condemned by everyone at some stage, Brereton who just hasn't been Diaz for some time and Dolan who is more of an impact player. He has had to use Vale and Leonard to supplement these. The only attacking player we brought in is Thomas and he didn't come in until January. Tomasson has been let down by Broughton and his recruitment army. He said all along he wanted a striker and got nothing. So far this season we are in a strong position to make the playoffs, got through to the fifth round of the League Cup and quarter finals of the FA Cup. That represents our most successful season in quite a time. It hasn't been perfect, far from it and I have criticised the manager on many occasions but it's his first season in England and the Championship is one hell of a league to cut your teeth in. This summer will be key for me and he needs some backing to build on what he has achieved this far. Football is frustrating at times and things get said irrationally but in the cold light of day who could have come in and done what Tomasson has.

Lots of people are forgetting that we brought George Hirst in who according to Gregg was JDT's first choice all summer. He should obviously have been replaced when recalled in January but we wouldn't be talking about lack of firepower if Hirst had been any good

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There is some real revisionism on here today. From an attacking point of view look what he inherited. He had Gallagher, almost universally condemned by everyone at some stage, Brereton who just hasn't been Diaz for some time and Dolan who is more of an impact player. He has had to use Vale and Leonard to supplement these. The only attacking player we brought in is Thomas and he didn't come in until January. Tomasson has been let down by Broughton and his recruitment army. He said all along he wanted a striker and got nothing. So far this season we are in a strong position to make the playoffs, got through to the fifth round of the League Cup and quarter finals of the FA Cup. That represents our most successful season in quite a time. It hasn't been perfect, far from it and I have criticised the manager on many occasions but it's his first season in England and the Championship is one hell of a league to cut your teeth in. This summer will be key for me and he needs some backing to build on what he has achieved this far. Football is frustrating at times and things get said irrationally but in the cold light of day who could have come in and done what Tomasson has.

I get as frustrated as anyone with some of the slow football but given the cards he has been dealt, he’s done a first class job and with a smile. He’s a million % improvement on the curmudgeon dinosaur who made you feel like slitting your wrists every week.

• Like 7

Just now, all you need is duff said:

Lots of people are forgetting that we brought George Hirst in who according to Gregg was JDT's first choice all summer. He should obviously have been replaced when recalled in January but we wouldn't be talking about lack of firepower if Hirst had been any good

You are right - I did forget him but I was told that he was Broughtons signing and not Tomassons.

I agree - there's, as always, been some pretty horrendous reactionary comments online - but that's online for you - someone called him the "danish steve kean" FFS. Check your head. I need to stop checking social media after games, never ends well and just makes your blood boil.

We're basically a bundled last minute goal away from 3 points against a playoff rival. He's working with so little. It's not JDT's fault that Dolan and Diaz did nothing to alleviate pressure in the final 5 minutes. Two injuries so he had to go to a back 5, that's a normal thing to do, fair enough it hasn't worked well in recent games but it's such fine margins, it's also won us points.

People calling it "suicide football", I agree it's hard to watch, but what's the alternative, go for broke with an exhausted side and push forward? It's not always so black and white.

We've barely got a squad. We're missing a leader, some experience and a striker. 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, all you need is duff said:

I imagine it was Hirst and Leicester who pulled the plug. Having fucked up the transfer window and the injury situation, I bet JDT wishes he still had Hirst as an option. My pal who is a ST holder at Portman Road rates him and says the crowd have really taken to him. If we are all honest, he never really got a run of games to show what he could do or any luck. Missing that penalty at Cardiff did for him, score and it could have been very different 🙈

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You are right - I did forget him but I was told that he was Broughtons signing and not Tomassons.

This is what Gregg said when he joined but this may just be propaganda:

Rovers’ Director of Football Gregg Broughton said: “We are delighted to welcome George to Blackburn Rovers.

“He has been our first choice recruitment target as a striker all summer and, considering Jon Dahl’s knowledge of the position, this shows just how highly we regard him.

“Jon has been able to clearly communicate to George how he will fit into our style of play and George has been able to explain how he feels we could get the best out of him both personally and professionally.

“Rovers fans should look forward to seeing a striker with a goal threat, good link-up play, the ability to press from the front and an ideal mentality for our environment.

Welcome, George!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jakey said:

That said I think JDT has lots of flaws. I was worried that Robins would change things at half time and that they would get on top of us with JDT not being able to see or counteract it and that’s exactly what happened - his in game management needs a lot of work. 

I agree that things can get better in this regard, but how does he change it with what he has? We could all see that Brittain was getting overrun but what could he do, Brittain being on the pitch still gives us the occasional chance of working it forward which is the best form of defence. We can't pack the midfield with the players we have. Even Mowbray had the "luxury" of bringing on experienced midfielder extraordinaire Bradley Johnson. I'd bloody kill for a player like that sat on the bench for situations like last night, and I thought he was total bobbins 😂

4 minutes ago, all you need is duff said:

This is what Gregg said when he joined but this may just be propaganda:

Rovers’ Director of Football Gregg Broughton said: “We are delighted to welcome George to Blackburn Rovers.

“He has been our first choice recruitment target as a striker all summer and, considering Jon Dahl’s knowledge of the position, this shows just how highly we regard him.

“Jon has been able to clearly communicate to George how he will fit into our style of play and George has been able to explain how he feels we could get the best out of him both personally and professionally.

“Rovers fans should look forward to seeing a striker with a goal threat, good link-up play, the ability to press from the front and an ideal mentality for our environment.

Welcome, George!

On top of playing the awful Morton over our star boy all season which we can all see was a huge mistake.  An extra 6 points with Adam in the team at least across the season.  JDT has proven to not know anything about galvanising the lads either, he should make like a banana.....

13 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

JDT was, rather animatedly, urging his team up the pitch in the latter stage of the game and they seemingly just... didn't.

But...

Putting on a winger at full back, installing traffic cone Morton who only has instincts to stand on the edge of his own box and putting a 5 ft player in place of a 6'4" one, asking him to do the same job, are collectively all counterproductive to whatever he was yelling i'm afraid.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I imagine it was Hirst and Leicester who pulled the plug. Having fucked up the transfer window and the injury situation, I bet JDT wishes he still had Hirst as an option. My pal who is a ST holder at Portman Road rates him and says the crowd have really taken to him. If we are all honest, he never really got a run of games to show what he could do or any luck. Missing that penalty at Cardiff did for him, score and it could have been very different 🙈

Also, let’s not forget that the missed penalty resulted from another poor refereeing decision as Bradley Dack had put put the ball in the back of the onion bag 😡

23 minutes ago, arbitro said:

100%.

He may walk because he either gets a better offer, or he's fallen out with those around him over false promises, but I'd feel much better if it's still JDT in charge next year as we have another year with JRC, Carter, Hyam, Wharton, Szmodics, Travis in the spine of the team. 

Back him to get some quality attacking players and we have a top 6 starting 11 who will be able to play quality football - oh for the £12m spent on Diaz/Gallagher this summer!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crozzy said:

In fairness he comes across as calm but I have seen him getting very irate and moaning at fourth official a lot (sit near dugout) so I think it’s just his way of coming across as professional as he can. He definitely does care

Oh definitely it's not a bad thing at all it's just I think most fans want him to be as passionate and bothered as them. And the truth is he is but in a professional capacity which is totally different to us fans .

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Bad sporting night. First the devastating result from Ewood and then I watched the Boston Red Sox get hammered at home by the Minnesota Twins. The baseball fans at Fenway Park were not happy but at least the beer and the burgers were good 😊 

Realistically you have to say the playoffs are gone now. We don’t score enough goals and if we can’t hang on to a one goal lead against Coventry we certainly won’t against fired up local rivals in Lancashire derbies. 

I totally disagree, when you say the play-offs are gone. I would rather be in our position than any team below us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree I don't the negativity. Rovers are still in control of whether we get a playoff place or not. 

Statistically what you say is correct, but we've won 1 game in our last  7, can barely score and are playing sides who are hitting form at the right time whilst we have declined dramatically. Current form would suggest we miss out.

• Like 3