BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry (h) 19/4/23 @ 19:45

Regardless of handball or not, how is a ball from a corner dropping onto someones midrift 4 yards from goal. We've been pretty good a defending corners this season but the one time you just wanted a big head or a goalkeepers fist on it and no-one gets close.

Also, why can none of ours whip a corner in like their lad from that side kept doing. Every corner he took was dangerous.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

That was a long night without much sleep. It feels just as raw this morning as it did at the final whistle last night.

As others have said the stupidity of Brereton to get flagged offside from the free kick in the 94th minutes really sticks with you. If he doesn’t do something over these last 4 games he’s going to walk away with everyone glad to see the back of him which is a real pity after the last couple of years. I do think he genuinely cares (you can see it by how he celebrates the goals etc) but his head and heart just don’t seem to be fully in it anymore.

I hated seeing us sitting back inviting them on to us but I don’t think that was all JDT’s fault - Dolan just couldn’t get a hold of anything so we couldn’t get up the pitch. 

That said I think JDT has lots of flaws. I was worried that Robins would change things at half time and that they would get on top of us with JDT not being able to see or counteract it and that’s exactly what happened - his in game management needs a lot of work. Also Adam Wharton showed again last night that he is clearly head and shoulders above Morton and so JDT has to take some blame for leaving him out in the cold for so long. I also don’t buy into the thought that he has worked miracles this season - we finished 8th last year after collapsing in the second half of the season and whilst we lost some players in the summer those who replaced them are arguably better or at least equal. So whilst I would like him to stay and see what next season brings after a hopefully decent summer of recruitment I am by no means convinced.

• Like 5

Yeah jdt overall I've been happy with for the most part. Look at some of the players we've lost in the last couple of seasons. Off the top of my head. Armstrong, Johnson, holtby, downing, nyambe, lenihan, rothwell, bell, Evans, Bennett, williams, graham and mulgrew.

Not saying they were all brilliant but they were starters and squad players. Vastly more experienced than what we currently have. We hopefully have at least three really good prospects coming through. In Wharton, Phillips and Leonard. It's an exciting time to be a fan of this club with just those three breaking into the first team.

The fact we're anywhere near top six with our squad is incredible. It doesn't mean that we should be like oh well we wer never expected to get in the play offs. For the last two years we've been there or there abouts. We're as good as Millwall or Luton. The manager should be desperate to make top six and then it's the lottery of the play offs. I think he's just comes across as calm whatever the result. Which can be frustrating for us as fans. But must be reassuring for such a young inexperienced squad. I'll wait until the season of finished before judging him as a manager but there has been far more good than bad this season. 

• Like 2

Feeling pretty flat today, yet a look at the table shows its all still in our own hands!

At least we're at the stage of the season where we have another match in 2 days time and by 10:15pm on Tuesday night we'll know where our season is going.

Feels like we need a character or moment of inspiration to get our season back on track, a wonder strike or a returning Dack to rally the troops for the next four matches.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Not even ready to discuss the handball yet.

On the rest of it…

At 70 minutes the discussion around us was “I don’t like this parking the bus and time wasting with so long to go. We won’t hold out that long.” Lessons not learnt from our cup exit. Bad subs, bad game management.

I don’t think we defended very well tonight generally. Certainly wasn’t one of our more solid defensive displays. Nervy performance from Hyam. Brittain had some difficult moments at the back and despite some tidy play in the first half his one footedness didn’t help him offer much approaching the final third. Hope Pickering is back on Saturday.

Leaving Wharton out for as long as we have has been at least as detrimental to us as our failings in the transfer window. It’s self sabotage. He is light years ahead of all our other players. He looks after the ball so well there was no justifiable reason to take him off. I don’t care if he was knackered, his brain beats the legs of practically any opponent he comes up against in this league. If we’d replaced him with Garrett I could see the logic. Replacing him with Morton was idiotic.

I’m in the minority, but I don’t think Brereton’s attitude/commitment is the problem. I think he’d just woefully out of form and nothing he tries is coming off. He’s technically a poor player anyway who gets by on pace, power, and confidence. When the confidence is lacking his shortcomings become really evident.

Have to mention Dolan. I’m a fan, but tonight he was woeful. Horrible performance. Typical of Gallagher to score a cracking goal then get injured… that’ll be him for the season I reckon.

I agree with all of that Miller11.

I’m not particularly angry with the players this morning as some posters seem to be. I do feel sorry for them. To a man they worked their socks off. There were a lot of excellent performances and I really don’t think they could have done much more than they did. We are what we are, the players are who they are. Any shortcomings in this squad are entirely at the feet of the club management.

Keep putting the effort in for the remaining games. Make use of Wharton who’s a rolls Royce of a player. The lad has a technique as good as any young player we’ve had for as far back that I can remember. Enjoy him, he won’t be here long.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jakey said:

That was a long night without much sleep. It feels just as raw this morning as it did at the final whistle last night.

As others have said the stupidity of Brereton to get flagged offside from the free kick in the 94th minutes really sticks with you. If he doesn’t do something over these last 4 games he’s going to walk away with everyone glad to see the back of him which is a real pity after the last couple of years. I do think he genuinely cares (you can see it by how he celebrates the goals etc) but his head and heart just don’t seem to be fully in it anymore.

I hated seeing us sitting back inviting them on to us but I don’t think that was all JDT’s fault - Dolan just couldn’t get a hold of anything so we couldn’t get up the pitch. 

That said I think JDT has lots of flaws. I was worried that Robins would change things at half time and that they would get on top of us with JDT not being able to see or counteract it and that’s exactly what happened - his in game management needs a lot of work. Also Adam Wharton showed again last night that he is clearly head and shoulders above Morton and so JDT has to take some blame for leaving him out in the cold for so long. I also don’t buy into the thought that he has worked miracles this season - we finished 8th last year after collapsing in the second half of the season and whilst we lost some players in the summer those who replaced them are arguably better or at least equal. So whilst I would like him to stay and see what next season brings after a hopefully decent summer of recruitment I am by no means convinced.

Sums up my feelings about JDT. I’m not convinced either. The only trouble is if he leaves we could easily get another no mark in his place and it’s all back to square one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I have no idea it is not my remit...

Sorry I thought you did know as you said he ‘wasn’t the best candidate for the job’.

But in reality you’ve you’ve no idea either way. Fair enough.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Miker said:

Hard to blame JDT for the balls up last night. He’s still got us in top 6 with only 4 games to go… which is the closest we’ve ever come since dropping down.

What has to be a major concern though is the level of fitness in this squad to get us over the line in the next 4 games. Last night you could see half the team were on their last legs. In a normal situation, when you’re 1-0 up against a promotion rival, you don’t take the likes of JRC and Brittain off and replace them with Dolan and Thomas. As soon as we did that we were struggling massively defensively. Add to that losing Gally’s height to defend set pieces. 

We have 4 very tough games ahead. The intensity and the physicality that will be involved with all 4 matches will need us to be at our best. I’m not convinced we can hack it based on last night’s showing, but I hope to be proven wrong. 

Fully agree with all this. I think losing Gallagher and having to replace with Dolan sunk us.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Staffordshire Rover said:

He did that all game with every ball in the air, even off throw-ins he just jumps out of the way of the ball.
He is 6ft + and then when the balls in the air he becomes 5ft 7

There is a video on YouTube taken from the away end which shows Brereton in all his cowardice.

It also has video taken from behind the gaol of the goal itself. Pears doesn't cover in any glory.

It's not the best quality but clear enough

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Feeling pretty flat today, yet a look at the table shows its all still in our own hands!

At least we're at the stage of the season where we have another match in 2 days time and by 10:15pm on Tuesday night we'll know where our season is going.

Feels like we need a character or moment of inspiration to get our season back on track, a wonder strike or a returning Dack to rally the troops for the next four matches.

I have a feeling we will turn up and win one of the derbies, we owe them both after the capitulations in the reverse fixtures 🙈🙏 Really disappointing last night but we still have a chance.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jakey said:

Feel the same way, deserves another season but I havent enjoyed this one at Ewood. Every game has been a grinding performance with no real improvement in my eyes.

• I havent seen us score more than 1 goal at Ewood since October.
  • We have one of the lowest expected goals ratio in the league.
  • We have managed 2 points from a losing position all season.
  • We have a negative goal difference.
  • We spend large parts of the game passing it backwards with players arguing/pointing at each other like they dont understand how we are supposed to be playing.

The fact we are in the playoff race is frankly mad, I guess that what still gives me hope to cling on to.

His saving grace has been some personal improvement of the likes of Costello, Smodizc, Carter. Albeit at the same time he appears stubborn when questioned on why the likes of Wharton/Dack dont get game time when its clear others are massively underperforming throughout the season like Morton/Brereton.

Like others if he did leave I wouldnt be fussed but little faith the club will find anyone better.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Regardless of handball or not, how is a ball from a corner dropping onto someones midrift 4 yards from goal. We've been pretty good a defending corners this season but the one time you just wanted a big head or a goalkeepers fist on it and no-one gets close.

Also, why can none of ours whip a corner in like their lad from that side kept doing. Every corner he took was dangerous.

You’re absolutely right. A great corner but it should have been dealt with by defender / keeper at the near post, shambles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

You’re absolutely right. A great corner but it should have been dealt with by defender / keeper at the near post, shambles.

We used to bollock keepers if anybody scored from inside the 6 yard box ! Now it’s just packed with players. I’d still expect the keeper to be pro-active and try and get to the initial ball.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I still can’t figure out why teams bring everybody back to defend corners. Would the goalie have come up if we’d have left Dolan on the half way line ? It’s not like he’d be much help in defending a corner anyway.

What got to me was the total lack of aerial challenge against the ball and their goalie, despite the numbers in our defence, was unmarked and left to amble unchallenged to score, whilst all Pears did was avoid a collision by falling backwards on to his arse.

Pathetic.

I played with braver keepers than both of ours.

• Like 1

He’s ‘grinding out’ games because that’s the best way to keep an average team with an average budget up there. How much sparkling football are Millwall and Luton playing?

When he fecks off and we are lumbered with someone from the usual merry go round, we’ll see how ‘not fussed’ some of you are then…

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

There is a video on YouTube taken from the away end which shows Brereton in all his cowardice.

It also has video taken from behind the gaol of the goal itself. Pears doesn't cover in any glory.

It's not the best quality but clear enough

The balls lands within the 6yrd box, Pears has to be claiming that rather than standing rooted in his line. BBD would be more use stood on the half way line  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I still can’t figure out why teams bring everybody back to defend corners. Would the goalie have come up if we’d have left Dolan on the half way line ? It’s not like he’d be much help in defending a corner anyway.

I loath with a fierce passion not leaving player on the half way line at corners. 

Complete stupidity. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s ‘grinding out’ games because that’s the best way to keep an average team with an average budget up there. How much sparkling football are Millwall and Luton playing?

When he fecks off and we are lumbered with someone from the usual merry go round, we’ll see how ‘not fussed’ some of you are then…

Millwall and Luton have the 6th and 7th best expected goals in the league, we are 20th.

Milwall and Luton have conceded less goals than us.

Millwall and Luton have scored more goals than us.

Take the blinkers off.

Gallagher usually marks the front post, made a few clearances when he was on, Pears rarely comes. 
Who's taking Gally's place at that corner? It was a good corner, Pears doesn't come out or is blocked off, and we were disorganised, Brereton makes a poor attempt to meet the ball. Soon as Gallagher goes off we lose height at set pieces, you knew it was coming. I blame bad leadership and no one commanding our own 6 yard box.

Rovers boss Jon Dahl Tomasson was adamant Wilson bundled the ball in with his hand but when that was put to Robins, he quipped: “Well he is a goalie!"

What a twat Robins, presume he thinks he's been clever.