tony mowbray  

50 members have voted

1. 1. will sunderland get to the promised land

• yes
    • no
    • they will fail embarassingly

Just now, Gav said:

More the fool them I say:

Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell, Diaz, at any normal clubs that’s £50m+ right there.

Gav, They have a similar structure to ours there and Mowbray has said he is very happy just being the head coach there. 

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gav, They have a similar structure to ours there and Mowbray has said he is very happy just being the head coach there. 

Do their owners live on the other side of the world and never visit their club?

• Like 4

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Possible I guess. Weren't the rumours he was joining Charlton? I think he will get some Championship offers like Huddersfield, Stoke and Birmingham wouldn't surprise me to be honest. 

I'd expect Dack to find another Championship club, would be very surprised if he dropped to League 1 at this point. Even with his limited appearances with us this season he still contributed goals and assists, so I definitely don't think he's finished at this level by any means. The main thing for him will be to get through a full pre-season somewhere without a recurrence of injury. If he can get back to something resembling full fitness I think he could be very effective at Championship level, albeit he'll probably always be a higher injury risk now due to his injuries. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I can see dack at Luton if they don’t go up 

Sounds like Dack wants regular first-team football. Would he get that at Luton? I'm not sure he's "shit-housey" enough for them.

It's a bit of a conundrum because, not only does he want regular first-team football with guarantees, he'll want similar wages (~£18k per week), especially considering he's on a free, and with his injury problems and fitness levels, I think it could only be a lower-half Championship club that is willing to spend a bit on agent fees and wages that would take him.

I reckon Sunderland would take a punt. I know they finished 6th, but they aren't in great shape, financially, but I reckon Mowbray would guarantee Dack first team football when he's available. He'll also feel sorry for him, and we know Mowbray isn't averse to a sympathy contract.

Edited by goozburger

Will he be expecting £18k a week?

And Sunderland have lots of attacking midfielders, Pritchard, Embleton, Roberts etc. Could argue Dack is better than them, but not sure it is much more than 2+2 at the moment. But if he did sign a player of his quality for free, hardly a sympathy deal.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Will he be expecting £18k a week?

He's on a free. He's talented when available, even if he doesn't fit a high energy style of play. Mowbray will want him, and Dack and his agent will probably still be able to get £12k per week as a minimum, I would have thought. It is still a huge risk on anybody that has had two ACL operations, hasn't looked very fit, and always looks close to another injury on the sidelines.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But if he did sign a player of his quality for free, hardly a sympathy deal.

Mowbray (and Venus) have history with dishing out generous contracts. We have a history of giving contracts to injury-prone players. Evans. Davenport. Holtby. Trybull. Ayala. Just off the top of my head/ Players that were good, but often unavailable for selection. You could include Gally and even Dack in that to a degree.

Overall, I thought Mowbray did OK, but I'm glad that we appear to have a management team in place that thinks of club first, rather than player first. That's absolutely how it has to be. Mowbray gives out contracts to look after players, and not the team or club.

Edited by goozburger

I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Maja ended up back at Sunderland. He almost signed for Rovers under Mowbray. I think their fans loved him as one of few silver linings in their cloud of demise.

Can't remember why we didn't sign him. He took a medical with us. I assume he failed it.

6 minutes ago, goozburger said:

He's on a free. He's talented when available, even if he doesn't fit a high energy style of play. Mowbray will want him, and Dack and his agent will probably still be able to get £12k per week as a minimum, I would have thought. It is still a huge risk on anybody that has had two ACL operations, hasn't looked very fit, and always looks close to another injury on the sidelines.

Mowbray (and Venus) have history with dishing out generous contracts. We have a history of giving contracts to injury-prone players. Evans. Davenport. Holtby. Trybull. Ayala. Just off the top of my head/ Players that were good, but often unavailable for selection. You could include Gally and even Dack in that to a degree.

Overall, I thought Mowbray did OK, but I'm glad that we appear to have a management team in place that thinks of club first, rather than player first. That's absolutely how it has to be. Mowbray gives out contracts to look after players, and not the team or club.

You've listed some very average signings there but it's a huge stretch to say he was dishing them out to put them first, especially as many of those only signed the one contract here so he was hardly "looking after" players he had never managed before, as if he was doing an old mate a favour. Should some of those signings have been made, no of course not.

We signed Brittain this season who had a number of injuries and Szmodics missed a few games having suffered bad injuries prior to joining. We will probably end up signing injury prone players at times and having to take slight risks.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

We signed Brittain this season who had a number of injuries and Szmodics missed a few games having suffered bad injuries prior to joining. We will probably end up signing injury prone players at times and having to take slight risks.

Except we seemed to sign a disproportionate amount of crocks under Mowbray. I also forgot about Downing who, although not a crock, was a silly signing at least the second time we chaotically signed him. And what about Gladwin?

Christ. That list of players I mentioned, I actually disagree they were just average, but they were huge risks. The wages they must have commanded... We'll agree to disagree, but I feel strongly that Mowbray put players before club.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, booth said:

I'm fully expecting Mowbray to sign Harry Chapman, Richie Smallwood and Elliott Bennett. Wonderful boys.

He only moved to Sunderland because Corrie Evans was there. 😄

I suspect he wouldn't get away with loyalty to players at Sunderland. I've never been a vociferous supporter, so I probably add to the soft element of the supporter based, but I don't think Sunderland fans would tolerate the player loyalty that Mowbray enacted at Rovers.

Incidentally, I mentioned that I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Maja go back to Sunderland. I believe he missed two penalties for Bordeaux yesterday. 🤦‍♂️

• Backroom
21 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Is Bennett still catching at Shrewsbury Town ? He fit right in at Sunderland.

Think he’s just left at the end of his contract, imagine he may retire, can see him going the Keith Andrews route into Championship Punditry 

Edited by Tom

• 2 months later...

Fair play to Mackems who are joking about now being able to "concentrate on the league" after their lengthy cup run of 90 minutes was finally Mowbrayed. 😆

Unfortunately for them, they'll have to get used to dire cup runs under Mowbray. There has to be an element of contempt from Mowbray for the cup competitions. His record is absolutely abysmal.

Mowbray did wonders with them last season, but it doesn't look great for them at the moment. Two home defeats against what are both essentially lower league opponents isn't a good start to their season. Suspect he'll pick up a bit, though, as he usually did with us after slow starts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Silas said:

Two games in and rumblings. Is it me or does drama seem to follow Mowbray. 

Sunderland fans reckon the board were looking to replace him with a foreign coach in the summer and he's not happy.  Tough shit he had an easy ride here. Welcome to reality Mowbray 

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Silas said:

The comments from some of their fans are eerily reminiscent of Mowbray's time here. "Tactically inept. Can't organise a defence. Nice bloke."

And tonight I've seen things along the lines of "Doesn't matter who the manager is, we've got bigger problems". All very familiar!

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Silas said:

It's like when he spoke to the media after our game and said "I spoke to Bradley - he says he's as fit as he's ever been." (he was on the bench)

Just likes to stir up trouble does ol'Tone. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, goozburger said:

The comments from some of their fans are eerily reminiscent of Mowbray's time here. "Tactically inept. Can't organise a defence. Nice bloke."

And tonight I've seen things along the lines of "Doesn't matter who the manager is, we've got bigger problems". All very familiar!

Yep, had a quick read- 'Where's a striker?"

Like groundhog day. Deja vu, whatever. 

I actually feel for him, always seems such an exasperated bloke. Must be exhausting. 

But how many times- Celtic, us, Coventry, now Sunderland. All the same patterns. 

Comes a time you have to own as the man at the wheel.

• Like 1