BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

15 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think if you make comments like "we really are the pits" that should be on the basis of something that has actually happened rather than your doom laden predictions.

Totally agree. Like kicking Travis out on loan along with selling Wharton and only getting a guaranteed sick note with only marginal more playing time than myself of late  and on loan to boot. That sounds like a long term strategy that is the pits. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

To be fair we only need one of three teams to win and we're safe.

We know the soft lads aren't going to get anything from their game.

I'm not sure we won't get anything. Leicester could still be partying and have their minds elsewhere and our best results generally have come vs teams that come at us. Not that I'm optimistic but it's not like they are gunning for the title. 

As for the other results. Brum couldn't beat Huddersfield ir Rotherham. Highly doubt they will win. Plymouth don't win many either. Other than the freak Leicester result there's not been a win vs Championship level opposition for ages too. Wednesday i expect to impressively claw their way to safety. 

Mind you it's only delaying the inevitable. Looking at how some of the relegation candidates have upped their game this season you feel we won't have such a safety net next year. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Does anyone think we will survive?

Define «survive».

Staying in the championship for one more season? Sure

Surviving as a club at one of the top two levels on english football with Venkys as owners and Waggott at the helm? Nah…not really

It really is all about context isn’t it?

Travis was literally brought in as cover for Morsey, same reason they wanted Gally to cover for Hirst, as mad as that last bit sounds.

I like Travis, but am on the fence, I can't decided whether he would have helped or hindered us - he is more of a leader than anyone else in the team, he gets it (him and Sammie would have hauled a few games over the line I feel) but his temperament lets him down at times.

Free from the shackles of JDT and the pressure of having to become technical box-box midfielder overnight, he maybe would have bossed the 2nd half of the season for us. He's a proper Eustace player for me. 

How many Champ teams do you think he walks into though?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He definitely would not have hindered us. 

I strongly suspect it was due to a clash of personalities between him and JDT but to loan him (and Buckley for that matter) to our direct rivals, is nothing short of pathetic.

I know we will never be able to prove it and it probably didn't happen, but imagine that a small part played by Buckley helped secure a point or even 3 for Sheffield Wednesday and that sends us down.

• Like 1

Love or hate Travis simple fact is that this club was simply not in a position to be loaning him or anyone else of first team level out, especially not in the first week of January.

We haven't got enough options or depth to consider doing it.

We knew that we had issues with funding from India. So the suggestion that we were getting him out for footballing reasons and that we were expecting to replace him just doesn't add up.

Deep down beneath the BS is a simple financial calculation. Out he goes for 6 months and that's a saving of £100k or so.

They thought it was easy and that they'd get away with it because we'd limp our way to safety and ultimately it would do us no harm. They might yet be right on that, but it's one hell of a gamble to play with our league status.

But when the owners don't care about league status it is easy. Act now, tick the boxes and worry about the consequences later.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Love or hate Travis simple fact is that this club was simply not in a position to be loaning him or anyone else of first team level out, especially not in the first week of January.

We knew that we had issues with funding from India. So the suggestion that we were getting him out for footballing reasons and that we were expecting to replace him just doesn't add up.

Deep down beneath the BS is a simple financial calculation. Out he goes for 6 months and that's a saving of £100k or so.

They thought it was easy and that they'd get away with it because we'd limp our way to safety and ultimately it would do us no harm. They might yet be right on that, but it's one hell of a gamble to play with our league status.

But when the owners don't care about league status it is easy. Act now, tick the boxes and worry about the consequences later.

Spot on and then all is swept under the carpet, as they expect us to rock up and buy our season tickets, only to suffer more of the same.

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If Travis had stayed would we have signed Fleck?

If not, did we end up saving any money at all?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

You and others know exactly why Travis left Rovers cos he was unhappy about not playing the position he wanted too and Tronstad has been excellent in there and been our second best player all season, so would Travis had got a look in if JDT was here? probably not. Also let not forget he wanted out last summer aswell. Of course the footballing reasons add up cos JDT wouldn't play him in the 6 role 

Also factor in that we brought in Ayari and Fleck in January so did we actually save any money? not in my opinion

JDT had one foot out of the door by January… so even if it was a pure football thing, why let the captain leave in January too if the manager he fell out with was also on the verge of departing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant believe that anyone genuinely looks back at loaning out our captain and thinks yep, that was a logical move.

Yep and I think he's a shite player but it was still completely illogical.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant believe that anyone genuinely looks back at loaning out our captain and thinks yep, that was a logical move.

If you have the mental capacity of a rotten peach stone covered in goose shit then it makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

JDT had one foot out of the door by January… so even if it was a pure football thing, why let the captain leave in January too if the manager he fell out with was also on the verge of departing?

Its a point I have posted here not long ago. The Sweden rumour seem to around from December and I wondering the same. 

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Realistically he was captain in name only - he'd not been playing and Hyam had assumed the role.

But that aside, I agree it was a strange move from our point of view.
Made even stranger by bringing in Fleck on £20k per week.

I think a midfield 3 of Tronstad, Travis and Ayari would have been the strongest we could have lined up in the 2nd half of the season.