BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

• Backroom

Imagine Ipswich had actually bought Gallagher in January. He'd potentially be a PL player now, lmao. Or more likely if he'd played he'd have missed chances that others have scored and they'd be heading into the playoffs now. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Thanks. Pretty shabby to say the least but money talks.

on the plus side - maybe some non league clubs will get an extra few attending at 3pm today 

Non league season is over

Think Tony Mowbray will call it a day at Brum now.

Given his recent health scare and Brum being 180 miles or so from his beloved Teeside, I don't think he will have the stomach to endure a League One campaign with Brum.

IMO, Brum's owners got it sadly, for them, wrong, not necessarily sacking Eustace but appointing Rooney and then due to Mowbray's illness, allowing Venus to run with the ball for so long when it was clear he was floundering. 

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Given his recent health scare and Brum being 180 miles or so from his beloved Teeside, I don't think he will have the stomach to endure a League One campaign with Brum.

IMO, Brum's owners got it sadly, for them, wrong, not necessarily sacking Eustace but appointing Rooney and then due to Mowbray's illness, allowing Venus to run with the ball for so long when it was clear he was floundering. 

They got it wrong with Rooney and were very unlucky that Mowbray ended up getting crook.

I think moggasaurus will be back roaming the plains of mediocrity before we know it. He's a total addict.

Nothing against the bloke personally, I just don't think he's that good of a manager. I certainly hope he gets back, it's sad if he doesn't.

8 hours ago, DE. said:

Imagine Ipswich had actually bought Gallagher in January. He'd potentially be a PL player now, lmao. Or more likely if he'd played he'd have missed chances that others have scored and they'd be heading into the playoffs now. 

I gather it was Gallagher or Moore. Moore scored 7 for them in the run in - they wouldn't have got promoted with Gallagher. 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

John Eustace: (no change) As noted above, Eustace has managed 3 wins in 16. No home victories. We've also been trounced by Bristol City (5-0) and beaten 3-1, again, by fellow strugglers Sheffield Wednesday. We also lost 1-0 to Eustace's former club Birmingham. Draws against Millwall, Plymouth and Coventry were disappointing results. A totally random 5-1 away win at Sunderland, combined with unexpected victories away to Leeds (1-0) and Leicester (2-0) implausably saved us from going down. Eustace ultimately did what he was brought in to do and keep us in the division, but it would be difficult to argue it was done in an impressive way. I don't think Eustace's reputation changes much either way from the last couple of months. 

LOL talk about an agenda. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 47er said:

Wow! Preston lost their last 5 games! A Play-off opportunity thrown away (I'm happy say).

Yeah, they failed to score a goal in any of those games too (-11 goal difference). Another fun stat is that they've scored 4 goals in their last 8 matches, and they all came in the same game against Huddersfield (6 losses, 1 win, 1 draw). 

Posted (edited)

Those three wins in that manner being the three to do it does seem random and implausible… if the wins had been, say, home games against Millwall, Plymouth and 10 man Cov, perfectly plausible.

Edited by Mattyblue

Think the manager ratings are fair although whoever prevails in the playoffs will deserve an upgrade and the other three a downgrade.

Playoffs are a lottery and even more so with one off semifinals.

Despite their points totals, all 4 have limped to the finishing line and cases can be made for and against.

West Brom and Norwich are facing life without parachutes so will be extremely desperate. Leeds and Southampton can be handled by Rovers under Eustace playing safety first and exploiting defensive weaknesses on the break.

Expecting negative bore fests.

7 hours ago, 47er said:

Wow! Preston lost their last 5 games! A Play-off opportunity thrown away (I'm happy say).

there is still alot of PNE fans not happy with Lowe as their manager and some would like a change. Seems a very much split fanbase towards Lowe. I think he has done good job there but I wouldn't say they should be making playoffs this season

• Moderation Lead

My old man is a PNE fan and he’s very much Lowe out.

I did try to say, they finished 10th, that’s probably about as good as, maybe even better than their squad suggests.

(I.E, do they have the 10th best squad in the league or not?).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Pointing out what actually happened?

I think @Exiled_Rover issue is with the ‘loaded’ words - he for example may have worded things as follows* (I’ve used the same facts as @DE.

John Eustace (no change) As noted above, Eustace has managed 3 wins in 16. No home victories. This run included disappointing results against our relegation rivals and a heavy defeat at Bristol City. On the flip side, we got excellent and unexpected results at Sunderland, Leeds and Leicester as well as at home to Southampton. Eustace ultimately did what he was brought in to do, nothing more nothing less. I don’t think Eustace's reputation changes much either way from the last couple of months. 

* I’m sure he’ll correct me if I’m wrong!)

Edited by wilsdenrover

• Backroom

It is a shame that my agenda, which actually saw Eustace with a net increase to his reputation over the season, has been so thoroughly exposed. Back to the drawing board. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, DE. said:

It is a shame that my agenda, which actually saw Eustace with a net increase to his reputation over the season, has been so thoroughly exposed. Back to the drawing board. 

I hope you didn’t take my post as a criticism as that was not my intention.

I was merely trying to show how the same thing can be said in different ways - I don’t consider either to be the right or wrong way of doing so.

Edited by wilsdenrover

• Backroom

I was just kidding around in my response. I can't take the idea that I'm pushing an agenda against Eustace in a small paragraph of a massive post in this thread seriously. That's just amusing to even suggest, especially when I'm on record as saying Eustace deserves to start next season here. With that said, if anyone thinks my wording on Eustace was too harsh then fair enough. I saw the words themselves as neutral, basically just the facts of what happened, but in theory I could have been nicer (or less nice) in the overall context of the paragraph. Since it's just a personal piece and not something I wrote for a national broadsheet or the BBC sport website, I don't think it's too much of an issue in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Mercer said:

Tony Mowbray is a footballing man through and through and if his health improves sufficiently enough, which it sounds as though it will, he'll be back at Brum and pushing for promotion next season, if those bonkers owners allow it.

I was with a Brum fan on Friday, his opinion, they wouldn't have gone down had Mowbray remained in charge and they should never have sacked Eustace! 

Edited by Gav

He's not useless. When he came we were on a disastrous run that pointed clearly to relegation. We couldn't get a win for love or money.

He did what he had to do, he made us hard to beat (with some obvious exceptions) and kept us in the Championship.

I don't see him as an inspiring type, I don't think he'll take us up but promotion is not a priority at Ewood anyway.

In any case we'll get yet another inadequate summer recruitment fiasco.

Let's remember he's at a club where the CEO said before the season started that the main objective is "to stay in the League". Bit of a different attitude at Ipswich!

There are better targets than Eustace. Till they're gone there will be no or little progress

• Like 1