BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

Brighton’s £122.8m profit is record for an English club
Only Barcelona have posted higher profits in a season, recording about £300 million for 2022-23 campaign
Brighton & Hove Albion have set a record for the largest profit made by an English football club.
The profit of £122.8 million last season was thanks in large part to the sale of players such as Alexis Mac Allister to Liverpool and Marc Cucurella to Chelsea but even without income from transfers Brighton were still in the black in a year when many of their Premier League rivals made heavy losses.
Brighton beat the previous mark of £113 million set by Tottenham Hotspur in 2017-18. Globally, only Barcelona have posted higher profits, though their figure of €351 million (about £300 million) for 2022-23 involved the club selling their “economic levers” — being paid up front for future income.
Paul Barber, Brighton’s chief executive and deputy chairman, has signed an extension to his contract until 2030, the club have announced.
Their chairman, Tony Bloom, said in the annual report: “The accounts show an exceptional profit for the period, and what is incredible once again is that while we have achieved our best ever season on the field we have also delivered our best ever results off it.”
The income for the year included £22 million paid by Chelsea in compensation for Graham Potter and his coaching team moving to Stamford Bridge.
The figures do not include any transfer income from the £115 million sale of Moisés Caicedo to Chelsea or £25 million for the goalkeeper Robert Sánchez to the same club. The accounts say that after the end of the last financial year Brighton have net transfer income of £51.1 million.
Barber said: “It’s a challenge to be sustainable and less reliant on your owner, in our case Tony, and at the same time put a competitive squad together and compete on the field.
“Last season showed we are capable of doing that. This season, even having sold Moisés and Alexis, we have still been very competitive. We have stepped up a level, we have had to play in Europe as well, and we have maintained our position in the top ten of the Premier League all season.
“The challenge is to keep repeating the trick, unearthing young talent in different parts of the world and fishing in ponds that other clubs don’t tend to look in, and then using our coaches to develop those players into Premier League quality and beyond.”
For the first time since Bloom made his first loan to the club in 2007, Brighton have made a repayment to him, reducing the interest-free loans balance from £406.5 million to £373.3 million.
Brighton’s manager, Roberto De Zerbi, 44, has been linked to jobs at top European clubs, including Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Liverpool, but he played down talk about his future.
“I am still proud to be coach at Brighton,” De Zerbi said. “It [the future] is not a problem. At the moment I want to be focused and to keep my eyes on the target we have. I have the contract at the moment. The focus is on the pitch.
“I’m very relaxed. The problems are the injured players and the preparations for the next game. These are the problems, not the contract or my future.”
Barber said “De Zerbi had done “an incredible job” especially given the club’s injury problems. He also said Brighton were keen for a “new deal” to be done to provide more funding for EFL clubs — the Premier League clubs have so far blocked any agreement on a proposed extra £125 million a year.
“We are aware a deal needs to be done and we want the whole of the football pyramid to be sustainable — 26 years ago we were bottom of that pyramid and we could so easily have not been here today,” he added.
“We have to find a fair and equitable way of creating that new deal, and we are aware that giving money to clubs below us is effectively assisting them in their efforts to replace us — and some of those clubs have wealthier benefactors than ours.”
Meanwhile, Leicester City have announced that they lost £89.7 million last season, following on from a £92.5 million loss the previous year. The club have been charged with breaching the Premier League’s Profit and Sustainability Rules but are challenging its jurisdiction as they are now in the Championship.
Kieran Maguire, a football finance author, said: “There are terrible numbers for Leicester and they could have been even worse if they had not extended their financial year by a month which allowed them to include the income from the sale of James Maddison.”

I've just watched the highlights of tonight's games having just awoken from a rare but welcome 6 hours sleep missing the live football and more importantly the darts.

I played just shy of 350 games at mid amateur level and I cannot recall a goal conceded by any keeper like Liverpool's first.

There were howlers but nothing like that.

So much for the fabled keepers eyeline.

Also so nice to see ManUre lose a game they were winning going into Fergie time.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

would mr  ten haag please come to the ceo`s office immediately please😁

Why, is there a taxi waiting for him ? They keep changing managers without much success but they never address the real problem - the culture at the club. They are just like Rovers in that respect.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Fantastic watching man utd lose. Especially to two soft soft penalties and especially deep into injury time. 

96mins Man utd 3 Chelsea 2. Its almost arousing. 

The only downside is palmer getting a hattrick has buggered my fantasy league a little.  

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I've just watched the highlights of tonight's games having just awoken from a rare but welcome 6 hours sleep missing the live football and more importantly the darts.

I played just shy of 350 games at mid amateur level and I cannot recall a goal conceded by any keeper like Liverpool's first.

There were howlers but nothing like that.

So much for the fabled keepers eyeline.

Also so nice to see ManUre lose a game they were winning going into Fergie time.

The standard of goalkeeping has clearly dropped

You get goals like that almost every week on Sunday league

I play at a decent amateur level and I always tell my centre forwards to get goal side of the opposition centre backs for goal kicks. It gets us a few goals each season - the keeper just kicking it out at knee level right to them. Amazing really, because most goalkeepers in our league had been in and around academies all of their youth, but kicking and handling is just crap. Some excellent shot stoppers though

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The standard of goalkeeping has clearly dropped

You get goals like that almost every week on Sunday league

I play at a decent amateur level and I always tell my centre forwards to get goal side of the opposition centre backs for goal kicks. It gets us a few goals each season - the keeper just kicking it out at knee level right to them. Amazing really, because most goalkeepers in our league had been in and around academies all of their youth, but kicking and handling is just crap. Some excellent shot stoppers though

Good to hear somebody is still playing. Amateur football has dropped off massively around my area. Same with women playing Netball and Rounders. At least they seem to be taking up what were seen as traditional men’s sports now.

Regarding your earlier point. You should always be anticipating a mistake. I used to follow up ever shot by a team mate like I was playing for the town hall clock.  99 times nothing happened but once in a while the goalie would spill the ball for a tap in.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Good to hear somebody is still playing. Amateur football has dropped off massively around my area. Same with women playing Netball and Rounders. At least they seem to be taking up what were seen as traditional men’s sports now.

Sunday league is dying. A lot of teams that are successful now do so because they have social media presence. Some of them, like SE Dons for example, end up with kit sponsorship by Puma. Baiteze are sponsored by Nike. They sell shirts for about £40 a go and have thousands of subscribers. They will be the only teams that survive soon. The combination of the dying pub trade and just the astronomical fees for pitches these days are crippling teams. Our pitch cost the pub £1400 this season and we played 10 home games. We made it to two cup finals, meaning we had more than 10 home games, and they charged us £110 per game extra just for being successful! I am sure even making the two finals cost us money. The woman who does our treasury was going spare

I also think the fact that pubs aren't that good any more doesn't help. If your local pub is full of crap players, then those teams always struggle for numbers. Used to be that playing for them might get you a photo on the pub wall or something, whereas now you're lucky if they even give you sponsorship money. I helped out last year at a team and the pub didn't even offer food when you got back. It just took the whole "team" thing out of it. Why go back when you could just go home and get a nice sunday lunch?

• Like 1

When I was in my heyday it was in the Manchester Industrial League. 2 divisions. We were a yo yo team. The standards were high, the pitch had to be totally enclosed so you could collect gate money. Top class facilities. Two pitches, full time groundsman etc. Quality changing rooms etc. The 1966 Brazil team used one of the grounds, Manchester Ship Canal, for training during the World Cup. The teams were mainly very large engineering/manufacturing companies that are nearly all long gone now. Lots of old pro’s, released League club apprentices etc were in those teams.

There was also about 4 other teams that played at a similar level but in different Lancashire based leagues.

Below that there was the Rochdale Amateur League, 2 divisions again. The Sunday School league which was at the same standard. Maybe 40/50 teams in total.

Below that there was the Youth Club league, where I started out. Maybe 12 teams of under 16’s. 

I look in my local paper and there seems to be about 10% of that going on now. I walk across a playing field were there would have been 4 games going on in my day and there’s nobody at all playing these days. Very sad.