BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Another example of how football clubs can treat loyal supporters. The excuse given by this conglomerate is pathetic. I really don't like United and this is another reason to dislike them even more.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manutd-liverpool-fan-protest-yellow-32373675

I'm not sure if it's still the same but a few years back if you wanted a season ticket you had to agree to buy cup games tickets even if you couldn't attend.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jodrell said:

I'm not sure if it's still the same but a few years back if you wanted a season ticket you had to agree to buy cup games tickets even if you couldn't attend.

It is the same . Same at united aswell. Probably all the in demand clubs run a similar policy. Absolutely stinks 

• Like 1

It's being reported that Nottingham Forest have been deducted four points which puts them in the bottom three and gives the Dingles renewed hope. Surely they will appeal and true to form the appeals commission will reduce it to two points. City, with their 113 charges still haven't been told their punishment.

Making decisions like deducting points from clubs at this time of year stinks.

About time they scrapped these ridiculous rules and allowed clubs to run their finances as they wish.

Edited by den
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, den said:

About time they scrapped these ridiculous rules and allowed clubs to run their finances as they wish.

Manchester United and Liverpool don't want another club challenging!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, den said:

It's considerably better to do it now than the previous policy, which would have led to deductions for next season.

I have no sympathy for Forest. They knew the rules, they were told last January try their own FD that they had to sell in the window but bought some more instead. Then they had to sell Brennan Johnson very quickly in the Summer to meet the rules and failed by a day or so.

Southgate hasn't been bad as England manager but is way to loyal to certain players and is too cautious. Everyone raves on about Terry Venables but he never reached a final (partially because of Southgate).

However he is not the man to make Man Utd what they were under Ferguson.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The new money man at Man Utd wants Southgate as the next manager ! How did he ever become a billionaire ?

Over charging for a poor product should be a good fit for this job.

5 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Southgate hasn't been bad as England manager but is way to loyal to certain players and is too cautious. Everyone raves on about Terry Venables but he never reached a final (partially because of Southgate).

It must be a request from Maguire, it means he would get picked for every game. I hope it comes to fruition, the whinging hordes at OT will be heard throughout the land wanting the Glazers fully back in charge. 

Edited by Ianrally
Miss spell because of bloody predictive text.

5 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

It is difficult to judge an international manager in the same way as a club one because a league is obviously not subject to the draws you get.

Southgate has been fortunate in his major tournaments to have draws that have been incredibly favourable. His knockout wins have come against Colombia, Sweden, Germany, Ukraine, Denmark and Senegal. Good teams but not the very top teams, ones you would expect us to beat, Germany is the stand out one and even they were very much not the Germany side of old.

I’d love to see a nice new waistcoat in the theatre of merchandise next season . If it’s choice between Southgate and ten hag then all football fans up and down the county will back that , just not the red rats round London and stretford. The gap between Arsenal, city and Liverpool will grow even larger making it hard to even qualify for the champions league and the likes of spurs, Newcastle and villa really could get past them for good . I’d love nothing more than either of them to stay or get the job 😁

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It is difficult to judge an international manager in the same way as a club one because a league is obviously not subject to the draws you get.

Southgate has been fortunate in his major tournaments to have draws that have been incredibly favourable. His knockout wins have come against Colombia, Sweden, Germany, Ukraine, Denmark and Senegal. Good teams but not the very top teams, ones you would expect us to beat, Germany is the stand out one and even they were very much not the Germany side of old.

I agree that internationals are different to league football, and he was gash at Boro but he's done a hell of a lot better than many of us expected. I was one of the biggest critics of his appointment. Don't forget we used to struggle against the likes of North Macedonia and lose to Iceland with the 'golden generation'.

Man Utd and their ambitions to be back at the top are probably beyond him and a team like Brighton or Villa are his level. 

On 18/03/2024 at 14:51, den said:

Viewing from afar, and therefore could easily be wrong, but I get the impression that quite a few of the bottom clubs don't mind too much about relegation. It doesn't seem to be the huge deal even, maybe, for fans, as it was in the past.

Part of that is just realism, because the league is so competitive now, because of the influx of big-spending owners, that chances of survival are less. But, my guess is that it's also because clubs know that being in the Prem and with parachute payments (and player sales), puts them so far ahead, financially, of average Champ clubs, that they are confident of getting back into the gravy train before long. That confidence may or may not be misguided.

Edited by riverholmes

33 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I agree that internationals are different to league football, and he was gash at Boro but he's done a hell of a lot better than many of us expected. I was one of the biggest critics of his appointment. Don't forget we used to struggle against the likes of North Macedonia and lose to Iceland with the 'golden generation'.

Man Utd and their ambitions to be back at the top are probably beyond him and a team like Brighton or Villa are his level. 

Did we used to struggle against teams like North Macedonia? Even during the spell between the "golden generation" under Sven, aside from McLaren straight after, we used to always stroll to qualification and between that side and the current side, the quality of our squad was definitely reduced.

The Iceland defeat was a shambles well below any sort of standard a manager should be aiming for but since Southgate has taken over, he has been fortunate in the quality of players at his disposal has massively increased year on year. The squad we had in 2018 was nothing special and a semi final was well above expectations albeit he was fortunate with the run with Colombia (via penalties) and Sweden being very favourable draws, before losing to a Croatia side who were obviously good but not an elite team. In the 2 tournaments since, the players he has had made us one of the favourites. You go back to Sven, he undoubtedly did not get the best from that set of players but he came unstuck to Portgual twice on penalties and to Brazil in the quarter finals. To beat the teams Southgate has in knockout games still warrants respect but none of those games would have been with us as anything but favourites, maybe the Germany game was the closest to an exception. He can be proud of his record but equally there is more than enough to suggest that he could waste a very good squad of players.

8 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Viewing from afar, and therefore could easily be wrong, but I get the impression that quite a few of the bottom clubs don't mind too much about relegation. It doesn't seem to be the huge deal even, maybe, for fans, as it was in the past.

Part of that is just realism, because the league is so competitive now, because of the influx of big-spending owners, that chances of survival are less. But, my guess is that it's also because clubs know that being in the Prem and with parachute payments (and player sales), puts them so far ahead, financially, of average Champ clubs, that they are confident of getting back into the gravy train before long. That confidence may or may not be misguided.

Agree. They are really trying to get it a closed shop. 

Reading about Forset I was astounded by how unfair these rules actually are. I mean I knew they were, and the City debacle is showing what a farce and how much favouritism is in play, but looking at this case brought it to a whole new level. 

Firstly Forest have a lower loss allowance as they were in the Championship for 2 of those seasons. Significantly less losses allowed. That really seems to be weighting the dice against promoted clubs. They try expanding to be premiership level but must have Championship level losses? Very unfair imo. 

Secondly the Johnson transfer doesn't count when they delayed the sale to the end of the window where they could ger more money for him - thus being outside of the accounting window (marginally.) That's apparently a business decision not a mitigating factor. My business knowledge is sketchy but even I know that accounts and financial judgements DO make reference to factors outside of the accounting period. Loans that are to come in, big repayments coming up - they are a factor! Bizarre that FFP says otherwise. Sucking the soul out of football. 

• Like 3