BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 16/09/2023

On 13/09/2023 at 14:22, davulsukur said:

That's what I reckon he'll start with. Doesn't Gallagher usually play well against Boro? Or am I dreaming that?

No dreaming on your part, 4 goals in the last 4 games against them, including a cracking brace at the Riverside last season.

Buckleys ball throwing probably didn't help in his efforts to add to that tally at home....

1 hour ago, danger19_80 said:

Only 7th professional English club to reach 5000

Only 9 clubs have played every season in league football. Stoke City, Notts County and of course Accrington have all had spells in non league. No disgrace to have the other 6 clubs beat us to the big 5000, just means we have spent more seasons in the Premiership than them. Aston Villa will probably be next as though they have spent every season in the Premiership  they had a couple of seasons in Division 3 when they played 46 games and Everton would have played 42 in those seasons,

• Like 3

7 hours ago, philipl said:

If Pears isn't dropped after his Plymouth performance, I will seriously worry there is something wrong with Wahlstadt

Or JDT has a weakness where goalies are concerned and extends loyalty too far!

Really hope I'm wrong as I don't rate Pears but I think JDT will give him this game given it's against his old club.

• Like 1

Re dropping Pears....a change of goalkeeper is easily the biggest change a manager can make to his starting 11 and not one they'll take lightly.

We saw this once Kaminski was fit last season, I have no doubts JDT thinks he's a better keeper than Pears but he probably thought it would do more harm than good switching keepers at that stage of the season.

I have a suspicion that Wahlstedt will be asked to show his worth in the cup game before he's given a starting slot in the league. He was untested for the most part Vs Harrogate.

Personally I'd play him tomorrow, but I'm not sure he will......

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Re dropping Pears....a change of goalkeeper is easily the biggest change a manager can make to his starting 11 and not one they'll take lightly.

We saw this once Kaminski was fit last season, I have no doubts JDT thinks he's a better keeper than Pears but he probably thought it would do more harm than good switching keepers at that stage of the season.

I have a suspicion that Wahlstedt will be asked to show his worth in the cup game before he's given a starting slot in the league. He was untested for the most part Vs Harrogate.

Personally I'd play him tomorrow, but I'm not sure he will......

If there had been 3 or 4 games left when Kaminski came back, I might agree. I might be wrong but I'm sure there was quite a chunk of the season left when he was fit enough to return. 

Kaminski was fit, Tomasson chose Pears. Why it's so unpalatable to accept that he may actually think he's the better keeper for the way he wants to play, is strange. 

As for tomorrow, he must know by now if Wahlstedt is a better option. Hopefully he's the keeper we need and looking good in training. A home game following Pears' performance at Plymouth would seem the perfect opportunity to throw him in. 

33 minutes ago, renrag said:

Dalglish didn’t hesitate when he signed Flowers and dropped Mimms, neither did Souness when Friedel arrived

Erm Flowers was a record signing, the most expensive keeper in the country!  Friedel was brought in by Souness as his signing.

You cannot compare either.

17 minutes ago, renrag said:

That applied to Flowers but not Friedel at the time who came on a free

Again no real comparison as Brad had been a top level keeper in the Prem and abroad and was very experienced.

Whatever our feelings from the clubs point of view Pears has established himself as number 1 in the last 12 months.  So they won't take replacing lightly i think they were looking at it longer term but it's all down to him hes recovered from cock ups before.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Any club that wasn't run by complete retards would have made this a day to remember.

It's a real milestone.

I'm surprised that waggot hasn't closed the JW Upper to celebrate.

Now come on, they're marking this milestone by releasing a commemorative mug (produced and sold via a third party company). We've done all we can.

Anyone wondering what grand plans there will be for our 150th anniversary in a couple of years' time need only look here.

What we will have is some tacky overpriced memorabilia (mugs, t shirts) and these video clips with ex-players. Low cost and low risk. Forget about the Club actually incurring expense or doing something large in scale.

28 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Again no real comparison as Brad had been a top level keeper in the Prem and abroad and was very experienced.

Whatever our feelings from the clubs point of view Pears has established himself as number 1 in the last 12 months.  So they won't take replacing lightly i think they were looking at it longer term but it's all down to him hes recovered from cock ups before.

Liverpool weren't picking Brad at the time though which is why he came on a free. (Best signing we ever made in terms of value and will never be eclipsed!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Liverpool weren't picking Brad at the time though which is why he came on a free. (Best signing we ever made in terms of value and will never be eclipsed!)

True and there was nothing wrong with Filan at that time but Brads pedigree was way more.

If Leo came in with a similar cv to TK when he arrived it would be no contest but as it stands, 1 cap aside, there isn't much between then and Pears has the half season Championship experience giving him the edge.

Iv'e a feeling Leo will turn out a good buy in the long term though but it's a difficult choice for JDT to make right now.  Not as difficult as last season though when he had a pissed off long term number 1 expecting to come back in.