BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn End: Waggott Out

Been reflecting on these two interview reports and the more I think about then the unhappier I am with Waggott. 

A CEO job is much more than setting out facts as they are perceived by the CEO.

"Cornflakes well they are just tasteless pressed corn with more sugar and additives than are good for you. Been making them for donkeys years but still the most bought breakfast cereal. We have been spending gazillions on marketing and frigging around with suppliers and technology but they are still just boring pieces of steamed and pressed corn.

Oh and by the way we are in the consumer market where customers loyalty and getting new generations of kids are supposed to get their parents to get them eating them.

And the majority shareholders have legal proceedings which are messing things up."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lraC said:

One thing I haven’t mentioned so far about my meeting, was that Waggott asked me if I was recording the meeting. Why he would ask that I really do not know, but perhaps indicates he has something to hide. 

Maybe.

Or more likely you get a slightly different set of answers if its being recorded to put a positive spin on things.

17 hours ago, benhben said:

19. JDT contract - it is a 3 year deal with no talks of a new contract planned at this stage, he is ambitious. We asked why JDT thinks he was sold a pup?  He reiterated that its the same job as its always been with no pressure on league position. Its always been about developing and trading regardless of financial restrictions this summer.

It’s to JDTs credit that he himself calls out this lack of ambition time and time again, when he could just use it to stay on easy street.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hasta said:

It’s to JDTs credit that he himself calls out this lack of ambition time and time again, when he could just use it to stay on easy street.

Somehow Mowbray got about 5 years with this approach. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lraC said:

The craziest thing in all of this, is how would developing a couple of players now and then, make more financial sense than having a couple of seasons in the premier league? As we all know, we have been in touching distance at least twice, at Christmas, in the last couple of years, yet managed to blow any chance, by not getting the window right. 
Last seasons fiasco, seems to fly in the face of the narrative, unless the O’Brien attempted signing was a red herring. Why go for him and why offer to sign him permanently, if we went up, if the only ambition we have would be to develop him and sell him on.

Someone seems to be sending out contradictory messages here, but what for?

JDT and Waggot seem to have a different opinion now on the job he came in to do, one is putting spin on it one isn't.

Not too difficult to guess who.

The O'Brian signing attempt was either a statement or a mirage but it's certain something was off with it.

Where was Steve that night by the way, enjoying the prawns at Brum wasn't he ?

• Like 2

Waggott is simply an employee of Venkys Ltd, not BRFC. Any CEO that backed themselves, during this latest (of many) sagas involving the Indian Government should be advising the owners that now was the time to knock this money hemorrhaging venture on the head and slope off and sell. 

That would be the turkey voting for Christmas though, wouldn't it!

• Like 2

What an absolutely contemptible shower of shite Waggott is - no pressure on any manager to succeed, no desire to put extra bums on seats by tweaking prices and more or less resigned to the manager walking out at the earliest available opportunity with no apparent plans afoot to try and tempt him to stay.

"As long as I get my £300k p.a. - I'm all right Jack."

I didn't eventually get a ST this year, I couldn't in all conscience justify  handing over £400 to absolute charlatans like Waggott and Broughton. I'm facing the same dilemma now at half ST time - can't even really bring myself to send them £210.

Talking of half ST'S bet they'll be absolutely flying off the shelves with the "Buy a half ST. We're not really bothered about results, but with a bit of luck you might get to see us sell some of our best players" pitch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What an absolutely contemptible shower of shite Waggott is - no pressure on any manager to succeed, no desire to put extra bums on seats by tweaking prices and more or less resigned to the manager walking out at the earliest available opportunity with no apparent plans afoot to try and tempt him to stay.

I didn't eventually get a ST this year, I couldn't in all conscience justify  handing over £400 to absolute charlatans like Waggott and Broughton. I'm facing the same dilemma now at half ST time - can't even really bring myself to send them £210.

Talking of half ST'S bet they'll be absolutely flying off the shelves with the "Buy a half ST. We're not really bothered about results, but with a bit of luck you might get to see us sell some of our best players" pitch.

Waggot has probably, already hit his season ticket money target, so he couldn't give a toss. And if people still buy them next season at the rediculous prices asked, he will again.

Edited by rigger

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Or in the case of Sam Gallagher, roll, up roll up, get your lovely half season ticket and if he is fit, see SG play his final 10 home games for us, before he leaves for nothing and we prove yet again that buying cheap and selling at a profit, still isn't working either.

1 minute ago, lraC said:

Or in the case of Sam Gallagher, roll, up roll up, get your lovely half season ticket and if he is fit, see SG play his final 10 home games for us, before he leaves for nothing and we prove yet again that buying cheap and selling at a profit, still isn't working either.

Or, roll up, roll up, over the ten games, you may or may not, get to see the strikers we bought in the summer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Why’s Swag still in post, Rev?

Why are you asking questions you already know the answer to? Because the owners haven't sacked him be it because they aren't interested enough or because he has hit a limited number of parameters he is judged on.

Does that mean to say that

- when he prices ST'S wrong

- makes no attempt to entice new support in

- tries unsuccessfully to flog off the training ground

and encourages a culture throughout the Club  that results don't matter he should get a free pass?

7 minutes ago, lraC said:

In the case of Gallagher, whilst what you say is valid in general, in that particular instance I'd far rather see that than him get yet another new deal placing him alongside our top earners. Our number one priority for this window ought to be trying to get a million or so for him. He wasn't bought "cheap" exactly the opposite and imo we should have cut our losses on him long ago.

32 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why are you asking questions you already know the answer to? Because the owners haven't sacked him be it because they aren't interested enough or because he has hit a limited number of parameters he is judged on.

Does that mean to say that

- when he prices ST'S wrong

- makes no attempt to entice new support in

- tries unsuccessfully to flog off the training ground

and encourages a culture throughout the Club  that results don't matter he should get a free pass?

Who gives Swag a free pass? Nobody on here, think it’s pretty clear the consensus is he’s been an abysmal ‘leader’. ( BTW, these owners could remove him tomorrow.)

You, however, have been the only one giving these owners one for 12 years as this club has withered on the vine throughout and become a shell from what they inherited.

Even now you still exclude them when posting your standard wide ranging list of individuals to blame from the tea lady up. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Who gives Swag a free pass? Nobody on here. ( BTW, these owners could remove him tomorrow.)

You, however, have been the only one giving these owners one for 12 years as this club has withered on the vine throughout and become a shell from what they inherited.

Even now you still exclude them when posting your standard wide ranging list of individuals to blame from the tea lady up. 

You must have selective dyslexia and missed the bit where I have constantly said over the years that ultimately everything is their responsibility as it's their name over the door.

The one thing I've said  is that you can't really knock the scale of their financial input into the Club over the years. If they are however no longer able through circumstances beyond their control or alternatively are no longer willing to maintain that then there's no point them owning the Club.

Before they go though, they've

a) Got to be willing to sell

and

b) there's got to be suitable people ready and willing to take over

Without that any debate regarding the ownership is largely academic although I suspect if you had b) and they were willing to pay enough money,  a) would follow on more or less automatically.

Even with Venky's still at the helm though you'd imagine we'd do better with a top CEO and an actual experienced DOF than with the likes of Waggott Cheston and Broughton in situ.

I'm not sure why you appear to find  that last point so difficult to grasp.

‘Constantly said’? You never say it unless explicitly asked.

Of course we’d do better with better people running the show, we are actually seeing that with fans doing a better job re Watford game.

The point is these owners don’t want better and never have.

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Constantly said’? You never say it unless explicitly asked.

Of course we’d do better with better people running the show, we are actually seeing that with fans doing a better job re Watford game.

The point is these owners don’t want better and never have.

Good point re the Watford game, hope the numbers that attend would be enought to embarrass any normal individual, not that Waggott will give two figs I don't suppose.

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You must have selective dyslexia and missed the bit where I have constantly said over the years that ultimately everything is their responsibility as it's their name over the door.

The one thing I've said  is that you can't really knock the scale of their financial input into the Club over the years. If they are however no longer able through circumstances beyond their control or alternatively are no longer willing to maintain that then there's no point them owning the Club.

Before they go though, they've

a) Got to be willing to sell

and

b) there's got to be suitable people ready and willing to take over

Without that any debate regarding the ownership is largely academic although I suspect if you had b) and they were willing to pay enough money,  a) would follow on more or less automatically.

Even with Venky's still at the helm though you'd imagine we'd do better with a top CEO and an actual experienced DOF than with the likes of Waggott Cheston and Broughton in situ.

I'm not sure why you appear to find  that last point so difficult to grasp.

Out of curiosity what exactly is your issue with Broughton?

46 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In the case of Gallagher, whilst what you say is valid in general, in that particular instance I'd far rather see that than him get yet another new deal placing him alongside our top earners. Our number one priority for this window ought to be trying to get a million or so for him. He wasn't bought "cheap" exactly the opposite and imo we should have cut our losses on him long ago.

I fully agree, he certainly should not be offered a new deal and I think he is already very close to, if not the highest earner at the club.

I genuinely had this from the horses mouth when I asked the question about flogging him and was told in an almost mocking way "Who would take Gallagher?". 

The big thing here now, is the money we paid for him and the amount spent on wages, goes completely against our current aims (or lack of them I guess) to buy them cheap and make a profit. Granted he was bought a while ago, but he will be leaving for nothing, that is almost a certainty. 

Whose fault that is, is up for debate perhaps.

• Like 1

I did point out how bad his previous club had been Coventry,  how they had been to hell and back.

However when they cashed in on players this season they actually gave the manager a workable budget to actually have a go.

I questioned his "play it safe attitude" and if it was hindering progression . I pointed out Bournemouth had a real go for promotion in theJanuary window, and although not all were successes, they actually achieved the goal of promotion.

I said the lack of ambition is there for all to see, and at no point has he given me a reason to why I or anyone else should attend, apart from our blind loyalty to the badge

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I did point out how bad his previous club had been Coventry,  how they had been to hell and back.

However when they cashed in on players this season they actually gave the manager a workable budget to actually have a go.

I questioned his "play it safe attitude" and if it was hindering progression . I pointed out Bournemouth had a real go for promotion in theJanuary window, and although not all were successes, they actually achieved the goal of promotion.

I said the lack of ambition is there for all to see, and at no point has he given me a reason to why I or anyone else should attend, apart from our blind loyalty to the badge

A CEO is more than a caretaker managing the cash, essential as that is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Which is exactly why I won’t be renewing my season ticket next season, unless something changes in the meantime.

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

What was his response to this? Did he give any sort of emotive response or just appear disinterested?