BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

We are going down (the pessimism thread)

No reason not to expect a play off place. Well expect for:

An even thinner squad than last seasons which was the smallest in the league.

A squad with 28 year old Ryan Hedges as the oldest head, highlighting a lack of experience to the frustration of the manager.

Addressing the lack of goals last season by losing the man who scored twice that of anyone else, and being so financially restricted that we have turned to a young lad playing in the German fourth tier and a freebie from Plymouth made of glass.

• Like 4

We need a relegation thread, fans on twitter getting a bit fed up of JDT btw, saying he's starting to annoy them constantly moaning and making excuses up, not having sympathy for him with what's happened this summer.. shame, JDT is seriously the best manager we have had since Hughes and he's being shafted big Time here 

6 hours ago, ItsRoverZ said:

We need a relegation thread, fans on twitter getting a bit fed up of JDT btw, saying he's starting to annoy them constantly moaning and making excuses up, not having sympathy for him with what's happened this summer.. shame, JDT is seriously the best manager we have had since Hughes and he's being shafted big Time here 

So much for Twitter then. Hardly the venue for accurate discernment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Early days yet I know but it’s starting to smell like another wasted season to me.

Given the lack of depth, experience and numbers plus our inability to convert chances I can't see us making a strong run-in to the end of the season! Very pessimistic and hopefully wrong!

• Moderation Lead
33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Never said the performance was great did I? Yet again people not reading posts properly. 

I said I enjoyed watching our approach play and how we are creating chances

yet more doom and gloom from Rovers fans. Lets show positive attitude and some belief in the players and JDT

I don’t think people have a lack of belief in JDT, but you say ‘more doom and gloom from Rovers fans’ as though we’re unique.

I’m surprised people would be delighted with the end to the window tbh, we’re still a fair way short, in terms of numbers and experience.

• Like 1

When you look at the squad listing on the website, you see how light we are.

There is now an expectation on players with minimal senior experience (Telalovic, Garrett, Markanday, Leonard, Batty, even Wharton) featuring very regularly which is a huge ask of players who haven't experienced the 2 game a week intense schedule of Championship football. 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Are we short in terms of number really? 

Our is the squad 

Keepers - Pears, Wahlstedt, Hilton

RB - JRC, Brittain

CB - Hyam, Carter, Wharton, Hill

LB - Pickering, 

CM - Wharton, Travis, Tronstad, Garrett, 

RW - Hedges, Markanday

AM - Szmodics, Moran

LW - Sigurdsson, Dolan, 

ST - Gallagher, Telalovic, Ennis, Leonard

I would say the issue here is more quality than quantity, even if you take into account players who can play in multiple positions.

If Wahlstedt is decent then we're okay in the GK department, as Pears is a capable backup. 

RB we're also okay, although both JRC and Brittain have worrying injury records and as soon as one of them has time off we are very short. 

CB we have a huge dropoff in quality as soon as Hyam or Carter are unavailable. Concerning.

LB is obviously extremely short in numbers, and question marks over how good Pickering really is. if he's injured we're relying on Brittain switching flanks or Batty coming in.

CM we are fine, although we should have kept Buckley.

RW is very poor quality-wise.

AM if we include Siggy as an option here is alright.

LW I like Dolan but he's a pretty huge downgrade on BBD. Not so much on BB. 

ST we are well stocked but I'm not sure there's any quality there. Gallagher is Gallagher. Telalovic is a total unknown and a development project. Ennis is still not fit, and we don't yet know if he'll be able to make the step up. Leonard looked good in the opening game but poor afterwards. Young lad though and has something about him.

So yeah, overall this is a pretty concerning squad from my perspective, and my optimistic view on it is that we'd do very well to finish top half. If JDT left I would be hugely worried, as I think he is helping us punch above our weight right now. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, booth said:

If Tomasson can get that team in the play offs he's a miracle worker not a football manager.

When your CEO states publicly that the aim for this season is to remain in this league, after missing out on the play offs by goal difference, you know the club is just going through the motions. What a message to send to the suits, the players and the coaching staff.

Fecking shocking situation I'm sure we all agree on that.Mid-table mediocrity and a Club going nowhere.

1 hour ago, booth said:

Fingers crossed on Wahlstedt being good.

Fine.

I remain unconvinced by Wharton (though hope he can turn it around), don't know about Hill, I'm not entirely convinced by Carter and if Hyam gets injured I think we're screwed.

Ffs.

Travis inconsistent. Tronstad has looked disappointing, but hopefully he gets up to speed. Garrett and Wharton too young to pin any hopes on.

Ffs.

Szmodics good on his day, don't know about Moran yet.

No idea about Sigurdsson. Dolan, ffs.

Ffs.

If Tomasson can get that team in the play offs he's a miracle worker not a football manager.

When your CEO states publicly that the aim for this season is to remain in this league, after missing out on the play offs by goal difference, you know the club is just going through the motions. What a message to send to the suits, the players and the coaching staff.

I think your summary of those positions will be a common one. When you see it like that it really does highlight the neglect.

Where we are weak, we are very weak. One left back, an average right winger and one who doesnt look up to it etc.

Where we don't look as weak, we are unhealthily reliant on players who have not proven themselves at anything like Championship level. Central midfield, if Wharton can not sustain his levels over a schedule he has never seen before, we look very, very thin. In net, unless the newbie makes the step up instantly, we are stuck with Pears. And its similar relying on a young striker from the German fourth tier and/or a striker from League 1 made of glass. Same with a winger from the Swedish League.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think there are plenty of reasons why its unlikely. A lack of experience, a lack of goals, a lack of depth. But the hope lies in Tomasson whose stamp is very much evident on the side and lets hope we can finish far higher than would be expected according to the resources given to him.

There is also the unpalatable possibility of him being tempted elsewhere when sacking season begins.

The season is taking shape and I think it's time to look at the possibility that we could be in trouble

The squad is weaker than last season, it's inexperienced, it's lightweight, it's unbalanced, and it's struggling

We're shipping easy goals every game. Players are making costly individual mistakes. The goalkeeper is a liability 

Worse, the manager doesn't look like he's bothered and it wouldn't be a surprise if he left

I hope this thread can be consigned to the rubbish bin and we comfortably stay in this division, but I'm worried. 

• Like 7

• Backroom

Just to note this thread will operate under the same guidelines as the optimism thread - arguing against pessimistic takes not accepted. If you don't want to read pessimistic takes, or can't do so without needing to lash out, don't open this thread. 

Personally think we're in big trouble. Can't defend, awful attacking options, a manager who, if we're being brutally honest, hasn't been able to get a decent run out of this squad since Dec 2022, absentee owners, no transfer or wage budget, outright admittal from Waggott that there's no expectations being set at all other than to stay in the league...

All points one way, and that's down. Might not be this season, but at this rate it's going to happen soon. 

• Like 4

Ahh yes this is where I belong, the pessimist thread, i feel right at home.

Yes I do believe we will be in a relegation fight this season.

Our squad depth is dire. We have no good back up options at CM, we have an untested ST in telalovic, we have dire players like Dolan and Pears who are always getting minutes. 

Thank venkys for it. Cutting budgets and not letting us sign experience will cost us dearly, fuck venkys fuck waggot

• Like 3

So glad to see Jim is on the ball with this thread 🙂

The optimism thread will soon be like a stand closed down by Waggott.

All pointing to a very long, hard season and we certainly don’t have the right sort of players for a relegation scrap.

A very poor transfer window coming home to roost.

• Like 3