BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

We are going down (the pessimism thread)

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would agree. The root cause of our problems is Venkys. Rejecting bids and slashing budgets later, the squad is not very strong. The club is run poorly from the top. Just like Waggott can be labelled an incompetent CEO without being the primary issue, Tomasson can be criticised if he makes poor footballing decisions.

That's the thing, for me there's always a massive asterisk applied to any criticism of JDT because he is not the root cause of our problems. He's one of the few good decisions made by Venky's in the past decade plus. I don't hold him primarily responsible for what is happening because he has been sold down the river, alongside the recruitment team and the fans. If he's staying out of loyalty and an unwillingness to give up, even with so much against him, then I admire that - but he still needs to have a real think about what he's doing now and whether he needs to pivot to something a little bit different. 

There are things about his current style that work. We do play some fantastic football at times. We can score goals, even with very limited options in terms of talent. That's good. However, these positives are undone by the fact we cannot defend and concede far too many goals. He needs to try and find a balance between continuing to allow us to score goals, but prioritising being solid from the back. The vast majority of great teams were and are built from a solid defensive foundation. Those who aren't either have huge budgets and can regularly outscore the opposition (Norwich in recent seasons when they've gone up, and Mowbray's WBA way back when), or end up as nearly rans, such as Newcastle in the mid-90s, or fondly remembered losers, like Blackpool during their PL relegation season.

I don't envy JDT's job, but for now at least it is his job. 

• Like 4

The bottom line really is that the club is in completely the wrong hands.

Venkys, Waggott and Broughton should be nowhere near Ewood Park. None of them have anything in common with either the town or the club and none of them have any record of success. 

Why are they here?

Edited by den
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, den said:

The bottom line really is that the club is in completely the wrong hands.

Venkys, Waggott and Broughton should be nowhere near Ewood Park. None of them have anything in common with either the town or the club and none of them have any record of success. 

Why are they here?

I don't think anyone can answer why the Venkys are here ....It baffles all logic !

The other two are here cos the Venkys are ...The blind leading the blind !

Missed the game yesterday and I haven’t seen the quote but apparently Maggott said after the Leicester game that the aim this season is to avoid relegation. So there you have it……from promotion contenders to relegation candidates in 5 months. If we do somehow stay up no doubt Maggott will declare the season a “success” and seek a bonus on top of his £300k salary. This is how these people work

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This thread is going to go bonkers if we lose on Saturday.

Rightly so, I’m getting very worried, we keep losing and don’t score enough goals.

I think this is the season when the thread we've been dangling on, snaps.

You can't keep diminishing the playing staff, losing millions, keeping inept executives on and having absent owners without it eventually all breaking down.

• Like 2

The worrying thing is that the relegation form actually started in March. We’ve been struggling to average a point a game for the last 20 games.

To be upbeat, onlookers often ask if we would have been happier with the last two seasons had the form being reversed I.E start poorly and have a strong end which results in just missing out in the playoffs. Maybe we’ll find out 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I think that's the concern for me as well, this has been going on for a while. People talk about it 'clicking' but I think that's a fundamental misunderstanding of why we're struggling. The team clicks fine and plays good football. We just don't have the quality of players to make the current system effective, as we struggle to score and defend. That's an issue with setup and player quality, which won't magically fix itself by the team suddenly 'clicking', as much as I wish it was that simple. 

• Like 4

To think we started off by beating West brom and then best Watford away, back when Watford were rated. 

QPR is absolutely pivotal because if we do go into bottom three, I don't think we'll be getting out of it. Doesn't feel like there's any fight to the club any more.

In any case, I think eventually we're going to drop, it's the laws of physics. The uplift from venkys is getting more and more feeble, but gravity stays the same. 

And if we do go down, we won't be coming back up again, not without a change of ownership

• Like 2

What is it now, 10 league games since that Millwall away win when we were GD off finishing in the play-offs?

The fact that such a short period later we are discussing relegation potential and some people are stating they are confident 'we will be fine' this season speaks volumes.

This was of course an opportunity to improve and better last season, and instead due to criminal mismanagement expectations have dropped through the floor.

The lowlife owning and running the club are determined to drag it back to League One, i can only presume because life will be easier and cheaper for them there.

I'm trying to think of another professional organisation where the budgets would be slashed overnight. It doesn't happen at my amateur cricket club - once a budget is agreed and set it stays.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think that's the concern for me as well, this has been going on for a while. People talk about it 'clicking' but I think that's a fundamental misunderstanding of why we're struggling. The team clicks fine and plays good football. We just don't have the quality of players to make the current system effective, as we struggle to score and defend. That's an issue with setup and player quality, which won't magically fix itself by the team suddenly 'clicking', as much as I wish it was that simple. 

Indeed. Seen a few folk on Twitter saying we're "too good to go down". Our form over the past 25(?) matches would suggest we are in for a real dog fight. Some folk are going to be in for a rough few months if they're suddenly expecting us to find the net with real regularity and keep it tight at the back consistently.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!