BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

We are going down (the pessimism thread)

34 minutes ago, lraC said:

Last time we went down we had 51 points, so that's incorrect.

I do believe we will be safe with a draw though and even more so if both Huddersfield and Brum, fail to win tomorrow.

and other teams have gone down with even more.

• Like 1

"Across the last 10 years, the highest points tally that saw a team relegated was a tally of 51 accrued by Blackburn Rovers in 2016. Rovers sunk to League One on goal difference, behind Nottingham Forest, achieving a -12 goal difference compared to Forest's -10. The 50-point mark usually guarantees you survival in the Championship, but that season was the exception. Charlton were also unlucky to be relegated with 48 points in 2020."

You’re all correct yes thank you for clearing that up. In my head I had it at 45 points being the highest total for a championship side in Peterborough but as it turns out I got the numbers the wrong way around and it was 54 haha.

Also that assessment of the situation was helpful to me too. It really is very unlikely we go down but it wouldn’t be Rovers if we didn’t make things more difficult than they needed to be.

If we lose all the last 3 I think it more likely than not we go down if Brum beat Huddersfield 

Draw today and the odds of relegation are thousands to one against.

Win and obviously the job is done

3 hours ago, philipl said:

If we lose all the last 3 I think it more likely than not we go down if Brum beat Huddersfield 

Draw today and the odds of relegation are thousands to one against.

Win and obviously the job is done

Lose all 3 from here and we deserve to go down. Surely we won’t do that. 

• Like 1

With performances like today and Bristol last week I honestly think we deserve to go down.

I’ve seen us win one home game since early December and before that only a few more since the start of the season. It’s a shit team on the field and a circus off it.

You only get out of life what you put in and regards investment, talent and effort we will get what we deserve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I think that’s it, we’re going down, so avoidable and self inflicted 

Brum & Sheff Wed won't both get 4 points in there last two games.

Also don't think Plymouth will get another point.

Always said no chance we go down this season and still believe that.

Next season we're fucked.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

certainly need to clear the decks of all the ****,gallagher,buckley,pears,wahlstadt,dolan,markanday,telalovic,hyam and all the terrible loan signings should do it

Rovers win (52pts)

Survive if:

Birmingham don’t win or Sheffield Wednesday don’t win or Plymouth don’t win

Rovers draw (50pts)

Survive if:

Huddersfield win 

Huddersfield draw and Sheffield Wednesday lose. 

Rovers lose (49pts)

Goes to last day.

Best case scenario is a Huddersfield v Birmingham draw. Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth to lose.

Worst case scenario is Birmingham City, Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth victories. Would leave Rovers in the bottom three going to Leicester.

45 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

People keep saying teams below us won't get points and yet, they continue to do so. 

I think we're toast this season. We won't beat either Coventry or Leicester so we're 100% reliant on other teams.

For the first time, I think we've had it now.

The manner of that defeat will take some bouncing back from, and I'm struggling to see where or how we're going to get what we need to survive. Our main hope rests with those other clubs around us not doing enough.

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

certainly need to clear the decks of all the ****,gallagher,buckley,pears,wahlstadt,dolan,markanday,telalovic,hyam and all the terrible loan signings should do it

I really think this current squad is one of the most unlikeable groups we've had in my 30 odd years supporting Rovers. Maybe I was spoiled early on by getting into the sport in the early 90's when we were blessed with Shearer, Ripley, Wilcox, Atkins, Sherwood, etc...but I honestly am sick to death of seeing some of the same faces in blue and white every week. This current crop, Szmodics aside are absolutely spineless.

When we went down to League One last time I still felt we had a decent core group of good senior pros that'd show their character and do the job to bounce straight back (Mulgrew, Bennett, Graham, Conway, Lenihan, Williams to name a few) but this time round I'm looking at the group and I just don't see that at all. The squad has gradually been gutted of any personality and charisma.

If we go down this season, which is now a real possibility again after today then we'll be getting outspent by Hollywood Wrexham whilst battling Mansfield and Stockport to stay in the 3rd tier. The club desperately needs a refresh from top to bottom.

• Like 5

One thing is for certain, this bunch of bottle jobs won't have the stomach for the fight out of league one again. No fighters like mulgrew, smallwood, dack this time.

What a result does eh? I was fully accepting of going down after the Bristol game, and then conceded that the Leeds game would change things and then that happens.

We desperately need Huddersfield to beat Brum now, but whether we go down or not there needs to be a massive overhaul in the summer - I'm struggling to think of 5 people (players or staff) who deserve to be here next season.

4 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Hate to break it to you but they don’t need 4 points if we don’t win another game. Birmingham just need to beat Huddersfield to pass us, and Wednesday need 1 win from either of their 2 remaining matches.

Plymouth have a better goal difference so just need one draw from two OK fixtures.

We could even be in the bottom 3 by 5pm next Saturday.

I genuinely believe we need 50 points.

Edited by Hasta

On 04/09/2023 at 11:15, booth said:

13th place after 5 games will seem like dizzy heights at the end of the season. The caveat being unless Leo is a super keeper and Semir is a super striker.

They weren’t.

• Like 2

The goalkeepers deserve their own thread... Pears and Wahlstedt...

The level and sheer volume of mistakes this season has been an utter disgrace to every paying fan.

Edited by Ghost7

5 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Just to add one more stat…

In the last 10 league matches, the Sunderland victory was the only one where somebody other than Sammie scored for us.

Wow.

That's really quite poor.

A one man attack.

• Like 1