BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

We know from experience what January will bring.

At best a couple of cheapish project signings a la Pickering or this latest Crewe defender we've been linked with.

More likely one loan if we are lucky like we got with Thomas last year.

This will be dependent on us getting equal or greater wages off the books first 

New owners needed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

We need 3/4 signings in January to have any decent chance of making the top half of the table…Play offs is dreamland stuff…

Id be shocked if we bring in 2. 

Why is top half of the table unrealistic?

We are having a tough spell now due to so many injuries and the players having to play every minute.

Costello,Dolan,Hedges , Gallagher should be fit for the run in.

We also had Brittain and Pickering out yesterday added to those mentioned above and we're the better side for 80 minutes and had a goal to take us 2-0 up wrongly disallowed.

• Like 2

I would like 3 signings this window. Full back, Centre midfielder and forward(either number 9 or wide 9, lets like we are looking a main number 9 striker with the link with the America striker Duncan McGuire)

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How bad must Telalovic be not to get on yesterday. We know Leonard isn’t ready yet. 

Leonard is ready but we need to play to his game which we didn't yesterday when he came on

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Even if we had any money, I'm not convinced that we'd recruit well anyway.

Tronstad and Hill aside, our recruitment over the past 2 windows, under Broughton's watch, has been dire.

So Moran and Sigurdsson haven't been good signings this summer then? 

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

We need 3/4 signings in January to have any decent chance of making the top half of the table…Play offs is dreamland stuff…

Id be shocked if we bring in 2. 

We are only 5 points off 6th place. Bring in a couple of quality signings in Janaury and we can reach the playoffs

26 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Apparently we’re back in for Gelhardt…(Nixon)

surprised we are tbh. After not signing him last season

Love this club but it's going absolutely nowhere. It makes it a pretty dull club to follow with very little to get excited about.

For me, we need to sell Wharton in the summer and buy 3-4 experienced championship players. 

This season already feels like a write off. I know we're only 5 points off top 6 but in reality we're miles off it. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We are having a tough spell now due to so many injuries and the players having to play every minute.

We also had Brittain and Pickering out yesterday added to those mentioned above and we're the better side for 80 minutes and had a goal to take us 2-0 up wrongly disallowed.

The thing is, people often say "when everyone is fit" but the likelihood of any spell without injuries is unlikely, so when they come back, we might have a few out elsewhere.

It has felt like some bad luck on the injury front but when you have a small squad to begin with, the added physical strain can lead to further injuries and by the time the physio room starts to clear up the strain on the current 11 might lead to a few issues.

Im not saying we cant get into the top half but I think play offs are certainly a pipe dream.

Im also sick of the "played well" but lost narrative after a home game. We have lost 7 at home I think and I feel like after most weve said how well we played for x minutes. When a pattern develops you maybe think it wont suddenly change. The lack of experience and numbers is killing us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

very good posts and people have decided solely on the defeat and not that we were better team for vast majority of the game and had a perfect good goal ruled out wrongly by the ref

6 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Love this club but it's going absolutely nowhere. It makes it a pretty dull club to follow with very little to get excited about.

For me, we need to sell Wharton in the summer and buy 3-4 experienced championship players. 

This season already feels like a write off. I know we're only 5 points off top 6 but in reality we're miles off it. 

why are we miles off it then? 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, people often say "when everyone is fit" but the likelihood of any spell without injuries is unlikely, so when they come back, we might have a few out elsewhere.

It has felt like some bad luck on the injury front but when you have a small squad to begin with, the added physical strain can lead to further injuries and by the time the physio room starts to clear up the strain on the current 11 might lead to a few issues.

Im not saying we cant get into the top half but I think play offs are certainly a pipe dream.

Im also sick of the "played well" but lost narrative after a home game. We have lost 7 at home I think and I feel like after most weve said how well we played for x minutes. When a pattern develops you maybe think it wont suddenly change. The lack of experience and numbers is killing us.

Spot on.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed we need experience and the squad needs more depth and quality to sustain a promotion challenge .

But I don't agree the squad needs 3 or 4 signings just to make the top half of the table.Up until Watford scored we were 8th and have spent a good portion of the first half of the season in the top half.

So like I said agreed the squad needs more for top 6/promotion but i don't think the squad is as shit as some make out when we go through a bad spell.Like people talking about relegation earlier in the season which to me is complete nonsense 

• Like 1

• Backroom

You could argue top half of the table is unrealistic is because we have a bottom six wage and transfer budget - in fact, according to here - https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/championship-wage-bills-2023-24-leeds-leicester-southampton - we're bottom three for wage budget - no squad depth, shit, disinterested owners and constant injuries to key players. Nothing to suggest any of that will change in the second half of the season. I don't foresee the return of Gallagher or Hedges giving us any significant boost as both are bang average Championship players who have only come to first team prominence on the back of having no transfer budget to replace departing players or bring in suitable players for positions (striker) where we desperately need better.

Tomasson overachieving with what he has available is why we've been doing well up until now, and why him leaving is a fearful prospect. We have an okay first eleven, even with injuries taken into account, but no squad depth and no reliable goalscorer beyond Szmodics.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

You could argue top half of the table is unrealistic is because we have a bottom six wage and transfer budget - in fact, according to here - https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/championship-wage-bills-2023-24-leeds-leicester-southampton - we're bottom three for wage budget - no squad depth, shit, disinterested owners and constant injuries to key players. Nothing to suggest any of that will change in the second half of the season. I don't foresee the return of Gallagher or Hedges giving us any significant boost as both are bang average Championship players who have only come to first team prominence on the back of having no transfer budget to replace departing players or bring in suitable players for positions (striker) where we desperately need better.

Tomasson overachieving with what he has available is why we've been doing well up until now, and why him leaving is a fearful prospect. We have an okay first eleven, even with injuries taken into account, but no squad depth and no reliable goalscorer beyond Szmodics.  

But most championship clubs have similar ability wise players as gally hedges etc on their bench or even in their first 11.

And apart from the big budget clubs I don't see these squads with multiple goalscorer  options ?

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

But most championship clubs have similar ability wise players as gally hedges etc on their bench or even in their first 11.

And apart from the big budget clubs I don't see these squads with multiple goalscorer  options ?

For me the transfer and wage budget element alone is why it's not realistic to expect a top half finish. I'm not saying it's impossible, but JDT shouldn't be judged harshly if we finish lower mid-table. Until the owners back the club properly, or ideally sell up to somebody who does have some ambition, we are at the mercy of having a manager who can get a small, underfunded team to significantly overperform. The fact only Plymouth and Rotherham have lower wage budgets than us, for me at least, says enough about what is realistic to expect. 

It also means, as far as I can see, that as soon as we appoint somebody who cannot get the team to overperform we are in big trouble. 

• Like 3