BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I’d agree with that. Lenihan always looked like a converted defensive midfielder to the very end to me, still diving in - which can come in handy in midfield as it can break up the play… not so much on the edge of/in your box.

I thought Lenihan only finally thrived when part of that back 3 with van Hecke and Wharton/Ayale. Gave him the freedom to break up plays in midfield, with the other 2 covering.

Generally think you need to grade all CBs on a curve as to whether they're part of a back 2 or back 3!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't consider 10-12 mill a premium for him. I'd consider that a bargain. I'd refuse such a bid outright.

I know we rate him highly (£20M?) but from the perspective of another club paying 12 million for a player out of form doesn't work.

Likely all these sorts of transfers they happen when the player has had a sustained purple patch of good performances which makes the buyer think the investment is worthwhile. And then hopefully for the £20M we want.

When the player is struggling no one will pull the trigger on a major money deal.

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I know we rate him highly (£20M?) but from the perspective of another club paying 12 million for a player out of form doesn't work.

Likely all these sorts of transfers they happen when the player has had a sustained purple patch of good performances which makes the buyer think the investment is worthwhile. And then hopefully for the £20M we want.

When the player is struggling no one will pull the trigger on a major money deal.

I don't care what works from another club's perspective, I'm very confident his form will improve and we shouldn't let another club get a bargain out of us. Especially Prem clubs that have many millions to throw around.

I don't want to sell him, so if nobody pulls the trigger that's fine by me.

• Like 2

Lenihan defended in a back 3 with Van Hecke, Ayala.  Also had kaminski behind him and Nyambe and Pickering fullbacks 

Hyams carrying a knock defending in what's effectively a back 2 including the keeper behind him 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah Lenihan was a fantastic on the right side of a back 3. Perfect for him. Think Carter the same tbh. Given we are leaking goals for fun and Carter and Wharton suit a back three would like to see

Pears

Carter      Hyam    S Wharton

JRC      Tronstad       A Wharton     Pickering

Szmodics

Gallager        Sigurdsson

I reckon we wouldn't concede the way we have been doing, and could cause a bit more damage up the pitch.

I’d consider starting with Garrett instead of A Wharton. Bring Wharton later when things have settled down.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Hyam was solid enough last season, he's just suffering from being put right back into the side after injury and a lack of confidence - having a goalkeeper behind him who is guaranteed to gift at least a goal a game to the opposition won't help. I don't think it's a question of ability, just very low confidence which a lot of our players are suffering from at the moment.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Nail on head.

Sadly, I don't think this is happening.  JDT could make us so much harder to beat.  Sometimes, you have to sacrifice your principles for pragmatism whether that be short or long term.

I think we are fecked.  Our longevity is at the mercy of the Indian authorities.  These are desperate times and sadly, I see no one in our exec. management, coaching staff or players on the field who I would want in the trenches with me.  The white flag is almost at the top of the flag pole and the bugler is practising his Last Post rendition. 

No chance those players are going to become so much harder to beat.

You sack JDT and ask Warnock to take over tomorrow. The first thing he'd want is to sign an experienced CB, an experienced CM and a big striker. They'd say no, he'd say thank you kindly and fuck off, whilst thinking "what a bunch of fuckwits."

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ricky said:

I wonder how we’d be looking had we got a proper forward in last summer. Interestingly I’m not sure it would have made a huge difference as our goals for figures don’t seem to be the issue.

I think we would have had a few more points on the board.

Not so much in recent weeks but the first few months a more clinical front player who gets in the right areas would have seen our points tally upped.In some of the games we were missing some ridiculous chances, like Sunderland a better finisher has us ahead in that match.We missed some serious chances and dominating before they hit us on the break.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah Lenihan was a fantastic on the right side of a back 3. Perfect for him. Think Carter the same tbh. Given we are leaking goals for fun and Carter and Wharton suit a back three would like to see

Pears

Carter      Hyam    S Wharton

JRC      Tronstad       A Wharton     Pickering

Szmodics

Gallager        Sigurdsson

I reckon we wouldn't concede the way we have been doing, and could cause a bit more damage up the pitch.

Sigurdsson passes it to an invisible man whilst JRC, Pickering, Szmodics and Gallagher are further forward. Opposition gets it. A Wharton jogs over but opposition pass to one of their midfielders before he can get there. A pass later it's with one of their forwards. Carter, Hyam and S Wharton under pressure, they all back off/get in each others way/do nothing. Pears starts doing the YMCA as a piss weak shot rolls past him. GOAL!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I think we would have had a few more points on the board.

Not so much in recent weeks but the first few months a more clinical front player who gets in the right areas would have seen our points tally upped.In some of the games we were missing some ridiculous chances, like Sunderland a better finisher has us ahead in that match.We missed some serious chances and dominating before they hit us on the break.

It also means the opposition managers wouldn't let their teams be quite so cavalier knowing we have a goal threat, but currently they know we have no strikers. Keep Szmodics quiet and they'll score more than us.

• Like 1

He would be a shocking signing, especially as a replacement for our only competent striker.

Hopefully its untrue because it would be the desperate signing of a donkey who couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Im sure it would prompt one or two to say, you wanted experience what more do you want. Not him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He would be a shocking signing, especially as a replacement for our only competent striker.

Hopefully its untrue because it would be the desperate signing of a donkey who couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Im sure it would prompt one or two to say, you wanted experience what more do you want. Not him.

I know a few Brum fans and they rate him.
His age is definitely a sticking point though - He’s bloody 35 in 2 months!

Edited by BankEnd Rover

There are certain people who have been vocal about supporting selling Gallagher, supposedly because doing so would free up lots of wages and cash to go out and get someone 'better'.

Well perhaps they ought to reconsider, because we can see here the sort of signings (at best) we will be going for if we need a Gallagher replacement. That's assuming the owners allow us to sign someone over the age of 30 which they were resistant to last summer.

• Like 3