BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

Just seen Boro are selling Rogers to Villa.  Follows on from selling Akpom in the summer. 

Clubs have to trade and that invariably involves losing your most valuable assets - i.e the ones that will command the biggest fees.  Unfortunately it's the way it has to be. 

• Like 4

Buckley returned to light training 2 weeks ago. I expect he'll be back in February?

In terms of numbers I'd say we have enough to get through to the end of the season - Tronstad, Garrett, JRC, Ayari, Buckley. Chrisene can also play there. Questions over the quality but there are other areas of the pitch to look at before midfield for me.

• Like 1

We desperately need another quality midfielder and we cannot under any circumstances not address it. Wharton was a key component of our team and leaves a huge hole.

JRC is needed at RB even more with Brittain out. Buckley is injured, Chrisene is our only fit left back and has he ever played in midfield? Ayari is an attacking midfielder and Garrett isnt ready. Weve also cleverly allowed our captain out on loan.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's not my job to but I would hope that had I brought in 3 centre forwards to the club they would have a better strike rate than 0 goals in 31 league appearances combined.

Perhaps if you had a daughter fighting cancer for 18 months you'd have other things on your mind as well. 🖕

Firstly sorry to hear about your daughter, my father had cancer himself in remission now and it was a terrible time .

My point in bringing that into the conversation is your hardly flawless in your judgement of a player.

Like I said if it was easy to build a promotion side with the budget he had then every club in the division would be doing it .

And yes your correct he hasn't signed a striker that's scored a league goal but he did sign the championship top scorer who has 21 in 29 apps this season for 2 - 2.5 million 

Again I am not saying he has done excellent but he hasn't been totally shit and the circumstances he came to the club under have changed, including his budget.Some of ye expect to turn water into wine.Nobody in the championship Is challenging with the budget he had.And no centre forward that cost 300 grand is banging them in either 

6 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

Just seen Boro are selling Rogers to Villa.  Follows on from selling Akpom in the summer. 

Clubs have to trade and that invariably involves losing your most valuable assets - i.e the ones that will command the biggest fees.  Unfortunately it's the way it has to be. 

The big difference is Steve Gibson will reinvest a decent chunk that money our owners won't.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

Thing is tho they will reinvest a portion of it on players that have at least played at the level we are at 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm not trying to do that obviously Broughton will have the final say but it will be be Kimberly finding the shortlist of players that come within budget and then onto Broughton and JDT to decide who to pursue 

I'm not saying Broughton is doing brilliant and there has been some poor signings but there is no team in the league challenging for the playoffs with the budget that he has and no strikers banging them in that cost anywhere near as little as Telalovic 

But imo when 1 million + has been spent then the buys haven't been bad and 2+ excellent in Szmodic and lesser extent Hyam but a very solid signing. 

Wahlstedt very poor so far 

And Telalovic is a work in progress but he cost peanuts 

Agree with your comments.

However its not like we spent 7 million on someone like Ellis Simms who has only managed to score 3 goals.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Wharton 22m very good fee for an unproven talent but who could go all the way. With the sale of Kaminski (2.5M), Wharton (22m), Raya(4/5M), Philips (2.2m), if we can ship out Gallagher that is over 30M of sales generate across the coming seasons.

A bit sickening that Raya alone has recently sold for that amount. Kaminski is probably worth about triple what we sold him for 6 months ago. Phillips we'd have likely sought about four times what we got if the ball was in our court. Wharton could be worth triple what we're selling him for in a year, and Gallagher cost us more than double what we might be about to get for him. I don't see these numbers as the victory you do.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, yankfan said:

JRC should be playing in the middle to replace Wharton. We need a right back in 

We need another centre mid but I'd deffo be exploring this option and keeping JRC in centre mid full time. Great player but we'd have to be weary of his injury record.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

Agree with your comments.

However its not like we spent 7 million on someone like Ellis Simms who has only managed to score 3 goals.

Exactly or that foreign lad Boro signed for £2.5 million 

It's not easy to sign a decent centre forward at this level, especially when you have 500k at most as a budget 

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

That’s true- as long as the money goes back into replacements for the departing players. History tells us that isn’t always the case here. I’d obviously love to be proven wrong on this one!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JamieUK said:

Buckley returned to light training 2 weeks ago. I expect he'll be back in February?

In terms of numbers I'd say we have enough to get through to the end of the season - Tronstad, Garrett, JRC, Ayari, Buckley. Chrisene can also play there. Questions over the quality but there are other areas of the pitch to look at before midfield for me.

Buckley isn't half the player Adam Wharton is. He's also coming back from a lengthy injury so he's unlikely to hit the ground running. It's not acceptable to sell Wharton for a huge amount of money and then do nothing about replacing him. It's probably what will happen, but it's not acceptable.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

The difference is that Middlesbrough reinvest. We don't.

I don't think any Rovers fan would complain if we used the money to improve the squad. But we won't. So we gain zero benefit other than keeping Venkys happy for another 12 months.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why not? He is Director of Football.

Probably because you are absolving Venky's of all blame.

He wasn't the one to allow previous players to leave for nothing which has hampered our FFP compliance. 

He certainly isn't the one who diddled their tax returns putting us in this mess. He had the budget decimated in the summer and had to generate funds to pay bills. To be honest I am not sure they could have done more with the budget than they did. We seem to make a lot of knee jerk reactions on judging players these days.

We have spent ages asking for youth to be given a chance and now we are signing potential and giving youth a chance we are complaining we are not signing the finished article.

The reality is with our wage structure and budget we will never sign another finished article again until we are promoted and will be fishing in the potential and rough diamonds pond with the knock on consequences of them taking time and patience.

That is all down to our owners and nothing more.

• Like 4

£22m for your young prodigy sounds good. At a normal club

We have never reinvested any of the money we make. That's why I still think it is silly people moan about the Brereton fiasco. Okay, we'd have got £8m, but for the team what does that even mean?

We might sign a player for about £1m. Maybe that McGuire lad who I know absolutely nothing about. That's not reinvestment though

Really we want to be signing McGuire and then a good, top level Championship midfielder for about £5m range for about £15k a week on a 4 year deal. That's how you reinvest the money from Wharton. Won't happen though