BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

Rovers fans ''We want experience and leadership, we're crying out for it.''

Rovers sign 37 year old Coventry City captain on a short term deal til May

Rovers fans ''37?! Are you having a laugh?! He's too old and slow and exactly the player we shouldn't be signing!''

Goldilocks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Polky said:

Rovers fans when they ask for experienced players…

image.jpeg

🤣

The issue is that Mcfadzean has never really done a lot with those 561 career appearances. Well, except 3 relegations from the Championship

I don't even know if he is the kind of father figure you'd want at the club. I honestly think Batth would have been a better deal. Getting in someone for experience only is only good if that experience is in winning

• Like 2

Maybe The Trust can ask the question at the next meeting, what direction do the owners plan to take with Rovers and  what are the commercial side of Rovers are doing to bring more money into the club.

I suspect it won’t be the real answer given. Just some bullshit. 

And some still expect a different answer and changes to happen. They won’t spend money, only the minimum amount on anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

I did post yesterday that we shouldn't be splashing the Wharton cash in Jan. Its a terrible window and awful value.

Our season is pretty much over. We need to plug a few gaps to ensure we don't get relegated (hence the 37 year old defender) and then rebuild in the summer. That is the sensible approach. We only have one shot at getting it right. We cannot waste this money. 

Re para 1 - so by that rationale are Palace getting poor value for money for Wharton? Or does that rationale re buying in January just apply to us??  Surely it has to work both ways!

Re para 2 - the season is not over. A team nearly always emerges from the lower reaches in the 2nd half of the season to push for or reach the playoffs, why can't that be us? We have senior players coming back, a seemingly decent striker inbound to complement the division's top scorer, we're 11 points behind 6th place with a game in hand.

Plus we've a 5th round FA Cup tie to come at home!

I get all things aren't rosy, but yours is a v defeatist attitude to take and I'm glad you're not part of the coaching staff (I hope!!).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

Maybe The Trust can ask the question at the next meeting, what direction do the owners plan to take with Rovers and  what are the commercial side of Rovers are doing to bring more money into the club.

I suspect it won’t be the real answer given. Just some bullshit. 

And some still expect a different answer and changes to happen. They won’t spend money, only the minimum amount on anything.

If you have a look at the Trust thread in here, there’s a post containing our latest newsletter. In there we highlight our planned discussion points for the MOU meeting coming up on 15th Feb. Finances are a big discussion point!

Minutes from the meeting will be documented to give clarity over the answers we get as well as our follow ups to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

The Wharton money people keep mentioning as if there's going to be some big splurge well there won't be.

He hasn't gone yet and whatever the fee only a first instalment will drop straight away and that will disappear into running costs.

Insist on the fee being paid in one go?

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If you have a look at the Trust thread in here, there’s a post containing our latest newsletter. In there we highlight our planned discussion points for the MOU meeting coming up on 15th Feb. Finances are a big discussion point!

Minutes from the meeting will be documented to give clarity over the answers we get as well as our follow ups to them.

Good.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

The Coventry guy until the end of the season makes decent sense we are crying out for some experience and able back up in this squad.

How old was Tony Gale when we signed him?

I’ve a feeling he was a bit younger but I can’t be bothered looking it up 😁🤨

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

With a win we're eight points behind Coventry with 51 points still to be played for. Can't rule out anything both ways, but going all out now doesn't make sense, I agree. 

Selling Adam on the final day doesn't make sense either, don't understand why we're rushing the deal with him being on a long contract and with the money not going to be spent now anyway.

We're miles off the top 6 this season in reality. Staying up is the priority.

I suspect we're selling him now rather than the summer to help with running costs given all the uncertainty around when Venkys can send across money. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

Palace seems a pretty risky move at the moment. They'll probably escape relegation but then there'll be a new manager in the summer, potentially with money to spend on a rebuild after selling Olise and Eze. No guarantee that Wharton will fit.

The manager will be a head coach.

Hodgson doesn't sign the players Dougie Freedman does 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Around 36 when he played for us, did a good job as well.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Gale was 35. John MacNammee was 30. Having said that back in John’s day 30 was knocking on a bit even for a centre half. He was what I call a centre half. He made Andy Todd look like a wimp. 
Matt Woods, who was the first Rovers centre half I saw play and was a real class act retired at 32. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

Palace seems a pretty risky move at the moment. They'll probably escape relegation but then there'll be a new manager in the summer, potentially with money to spend on a rebuild after selling Olise and Eze. No guarantee that Wharton will fit.

So off on loan he’ll go. Middlesbrough or wherever… but on triple the money.

If he's only here for 4 months its not worth getting your knickers in a twist about.

He may still be better than the Crewe lad, he may not. But we certainly need some sort of cover for the end of the season which he provides.

I'd be more bothered about not bringing in a striker or a central midfielder.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

From Andy Bayes

Part 2 of Adam Wharton's medical is likely to be complete in the next few hours & that can go through. McFadzean deal first reported by

will be done today. The McGuire one more complicated with interest from other clubs.

Selling your best player - easy.

Bringing in a player for actual money - well actually there might be complications.

This club is genuinely lucky anyone turns up to home matches.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, rigger said:

I would refrain from passing judgement at least until he has played for us.

I will judge any player on his team in a Rovers shirt. 

But I will have opinions before, and if you don't want to, fine but I am unsure if this thread is the place for you.