BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Gamst Jones chatting shit as usual?

You’d assume so, given it’s all he’s done since he started that account. But god only knows considering how we fucked up last January. 

16 minutes ago, superniko said:

All this loan now with buy in the summer stinks of spending the £5m from Raya we’re getting in the summer while the Wharton cash goes straight into the black hole. 
Let’s be honest, we should be spending £15m of that £27m at least across various positions. 

Whilst that would be very exciting, it would land us right in FFP mire. You do have to consider wages, signing on fees, agent fees, etc. And not just within the 3 years of a single FFP cycle if we sign people on more than 3 year deals. We also can't really spend the Raya money until we get it. And I don't know if you're suggesting spending all of that now, but spunking £15 million in the January window is a bad idea. Whether we like it or not, quite a bit of whatever we have free to spend actually should be kept til summer (at a rational club anyway...granted if we 'keep the powder dry' at this club it tends to mean the powder gets snorted).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, superniko said:

£22m Wharton + £5m Raya sell on - appreciate nobody knows all the details of when the Wharton money will arrive but we’ve got £27m coming in before we even sell Dolan or Gallagher over the next few windows

You really think it's as simple as that ? Firstly the Wharton deal is £18m with £4m in add ons, presumably things like a set number of appearances, possibly England call ups, all of which are in the future, so forget the £4m for the time being.

We will also not receive £18m in the coffers tomorrow, the amount will be spread over a number of years.

I wish it was just as you say but that's fairytale stuff. The most we could expect to spend is the initial down payment on the Wharton deal ,  I would guess around £6m

Edited by Tugayisgod
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The risk with that is other clubs see they’re good and gazump us in summer.

That's only a risk if the player doesn't want to come or would prefer to move to the other clubs. If you put an option in the loan deal to buy then you contractually have first dibs and can't be gazumped on the transfer fee. I think these deals usually involve the player signing up to his potential terms when the loan commences too, but I dunno if it's common/possible for the player to be obliged to sign permanently if the club exercises the option.

1 minute ago, Tugayisgod said:

We will also not receive £18m in the coffers tomorrow, the amount will be spread over a number of years.

You keep ignoring the fact that purchases are made on exactly the same basis over the life of the contract as well.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

You really think it's as simple as that ? Firstly the Wharton deal is £18m with £4m in add ons, presumably things like a set number of appearances, possibly England call ups, all of which are in the future, so forget the £4m for the time being.

I wish it was just as you say but that's fairytale stuff

this is true but the transfer fees we spend would also be spread over time so that balances out. especially if a few of them are loan to buy

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Szmodics? Hyam? Tronstad?

I’ll give you Szmodics as someone who’s bucked the trend. But hyam blows hot and cold. Tronstad? Jeez that’s some slim pickins. 

Edited by matt83

38 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Google Translate says...

Blackburn has made an offer to Viking for David Brekalo. A loan with an option to purchase of between NOK 30 and 40 million. The clubs may have to reach an agreement on a permanent transfer for there to be an agreement. Orlando's bid is still on the table.

My God… layer upon layer of… wtf..

1. Loan with end of season option/obligation to buy deal with Rovers on deadline day. Who’d go for that??

2. Cheating Orlando of their target while trying to agree terms with Orlando for McGuire??

3. Rovers bidding up the price of Brekalo, Orlando submit improved bid - but want more from Rovers for McGuire to cover the increased fee for Brekalo??

Gregg’ lost it😵‍💫

10 minutes ago, J*B said:

You’d assume so, given it’s all he’s done since he started that account. But god only knows considering how we fucked up last January. 

It's had vibes of the O Brien deal ever since it was announced given the logistical issues.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Whilst that would be very exciting, it would land us right in FFP mire. You do have to consider wages, signing on fees, agent fees, etc. And not just within the 3 years of a single FFP cycle if we sign people on more than 3 year deals. We also can't really spend the Raya money until we get it. And I don't know if you're suggesting spending all of that now, but spunking £15 million in the January window is a bad idea. Whether we like it or not, quite a bit of whatever we have free to spend actually should be kept til summer (at a rational club anyway...granted if we 'keep the powder dry' at this club it tends to mean the powder gets snorted).

Ah yeah sorry this wasn’t specific to January - was around the ‘loan now with a view to buy in Summer’ so essentially over the two windows. 
Making £12m profit on player sales and wages being relatively flat versus past championship years when you consider outgoings - FFP shouldn’t be an issue. If it is we’re not going to put £25m+ of transfer funds into our pot ever 3 years are we so we might as well close up shop now 

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You keep ignoring the fact that purchases are made on exactly the same basis over the life of the contract as well.

True but I'm not ignoring it, I mentioned previously we won't be paying over £2m for McGuire (if it goes through) in one payment either. 

But the difference between £2,m and £18m in terms of repayments is huge

Pretty excited by the Brekalo news. Someone I highlighted in the summer as one of the few players in the Norwegian League you could be confident would have an impact in the Championship.

At that time I thought he would be far too expensive, and destined for bigger things than the Championship. Viking turned down a 6 mill offer in the summer for the League push, thinking they would be able to sell him for the same later.

However, he got injured and their season faltered. Now there has been a huge fallout since the player claims the club have gone back on their promise to sell if he stayed for the rest of the season.

Viking are now looking to offload this window, and the player is currently not training with the team until the transfer is resolved.

Local media is also reporting Blackburn's approach

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, unsall said:

Gone quiet at Palace end, Whartons not changed his mind has he 😜

Won't happen but at this point if Wharton came to his senses and backed out of the Palace deal, we offloaded Gallagher and brought in Mcguire at zero net cost I'd consider that a right result compared to what the window could have ended up as.

If we could also offload Wahlstedt and bring in a capable keeper it would almost be "If Carlsberg did transfer windows" territory.

Let Venky's sort out the finances separately.

3 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Kevin Ackermann + David Brekalo + Duncan McGuire would be a good start . Add a right winger to that and I would be satisfied 

No more Swedes please. Only the Olssons were any good for us.

54 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Aye £22mill into running the club with venkys sending over 2/3mill on spends in summer.

Dont think Brekalo happens when Orlando have a fee there ready to go. We’re going to get nowhere this late on in the window trying loan to buys.

Maybe Brekalo wants to come to Rovers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

I wish it was just as you say but that's fairytale stuff. The most we could expect to spend is the initial down payment on the Wharton deal ,  I would guess around £6m

I pretty much said all that in the original post. I’m not talking about spending all that in January as I was replying to the ‘loan now buy later’ policy. Regardless, we’re getting £23m over the next few windows plus a potential £4m eventually. Besides, surely anyone we buy runs off the same principle of ‘instalments’ so the point is moot.
We need to be spending over 50% of that if we have any ambition of promotion - isn’t that meant to be ‘the model‘?

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1