BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

6 minutes ago, AspRover said:

If playing FM has taught me anything then loyalty bonuses are different from having a 10% of the next sale clause in a players contract, both of which do exist.

If Wharton has a 10% clause (which at 1.8m on a 18m sale seems to be what twitter rando is suggesting) then it raises some questions - not least does he get the 1.8m in one go now whilst we get the 18m in installments? If so what are the installments?

I suspect it's nonsense but it could be exactly the kind of haggling over the wording of the contract that holds up a deal.

Imagine if palace are paying 3m every six months for three years, and we somehow agreed to it without realising that we're obliged to hand 1.8m of the first installment straight to Adam...

If we are giving anyone £7,000 per week in a loyalty bonus then we are fooked financially no matter how many cuts we make

Tomasson  having little say in transfer policy shows the flaws in the coach / director of football model. Can you imagine Ferguson or Cloughie being dictated to on which players should be signed? 

Tomasson's obviously an intelligent man who knows his own mind. In his position I wouldn't tolerate it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

By the looks of him mate, he's a big clumsy centre forward and nothing more. Not necessarily a dig at him, it's just his size and the way he moves. 

If we do get him I hope that I’m proved wrong, but from his highlights(?) YouTube  reel I thought he looked like a league 2 or lower bruiser who just bulldozed his way to goal pushing aside useless defenders. His shots are hit and hope and he usually ends up on his arse. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

I think loyalty bonuses are perfectly fair. It's Rovers that want rid of him. He has a 5 year employment contract that the club are wanting to break early 

I remember reading that Alan Ball got a percentage of the transfer fee, when he went to Arsenal-because he hadn't asked for the transfer-and that was years ago!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I don't buy the loyalty bonus story for a second.

Like most of the things surrounding this saga, it makes no sense.

First of all, I doubt that Wharton had the leverage to negotiate that kind of percentage (or to have that type of unpaid bonus).

Secondly, are we really supposed to believe that would expect to be paid before we are? And that this would hold the transfer up? 

It's not that outlandish, why would he expect that to be paid BEFORE the Club were? They'd only have to agree the payment terms in principle and then pay him as and when the money came in.

Secondly I think he would have had a lot of leverage when he signed his new deal, he's a very sought after talent. Had he stayed here 4 years and we'd got £40m plus for him we wouldnt give the bonus a second thought.

It's not his fault we're shoving him out of the door to paythe bills for a few months.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don't buy the loyalty bonus story for a second.

Like most of the things surrounding this saga, it makes no sense.

First of all, I doubt that Wharton had the leverage to negotiate that kind of percentage (or to have that type of unpaid bonus).

Secondly, are we really supposed to believe that would expect to be paid before we are? And that this would hold the transfer up? 

Is it a loyalty bonus or is it the usual cut of the fee that all players get if they are transferred without asking for a move ? That’s been going on for decades.

I just hope that after all the press led rumours we can get the deal done. Would look forward to him coming to club. Interesting few hours ahead to get deals done. 

None of us actually know what has happened so am not going to make a judgement on it. So many moving parts to a transfer deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's not that outlandish, why would he expect that to be paid BEFORE the Club were? They'd only have to agree the payment terms in principle and then pay him as and when the money came in.

Anything like that should be clearly written into the contract. Ie. If we only get the money in 6 instalments for example - he only gets the bonus in 6 instalments. Unfortunately, I've also no faith in the people writing our contracts.

11 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Let's imagine that Rovers do finish this window and these next 8 hours in a positive fashion we don't anticipate - Maguire signs, other (good) money signings too, sensible loans (in and out).

That does not excuse the fact that - YET AGAIN - Rovers have had their reputation dragged through the mud due to obvious incompetence from the very top. Laughing stock, unreliable, unprofessional, incompetent from top to bottom, clown owners and senior management. 

Signing some players will not erase that. How much for 5,000 tennis balls?

I think we need to wait for the dust to settle before making judgements. There has been lots of rubbish on the media - some may prove true - but personally will wait to see what the reality was. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

He’s getting a taxi somewhere

IMG_5838.png

2 hours ago, callumrovers said:

Not ITK. Been told McGuire having a medical at Rovers now 👍 another two players in the building. Don’t ask me names, don’t know. Just passing on info 

Unless he had  a medical in Yorkshire, looks like a duff rumour

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

If we do get him I hope that I’m proved wrong, but from his highlights(?) YouTube  reel I thought he looked like a league 2 or lower bruiser who just bulldozed his way to goal pushing aside useless defenders. His shots are hit and hope and he usually ends up on his arse. 

I wasn't blown away by his highlights, to be honest, but he seems to have a knack for goal. If he's physical at 6' that'd be a damn sight more than we get from Gallagher et al.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Anything like that should be clearly written into the contract. Ie. If we only get the money in 6 instalments for example - he only gets the bonus in 6 instalments. Unfortunately, I've also no faith in the people writing our contracts.

Well yes, I think it's a commonly accepted practice and should be absolutely second nature to our senior management but...........

• Like 1