BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

44 minutes ago, G Somerset Rover said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think we need the McGuire decision to go against us given the momentum that is building behind our ownership. Of course I know how desperate we are for a striker, and I feel incredibly bad that our once proud club has let down yet another player. But you just know if this goes in our favour that outside of this forum, and fans with half a brain cell, that Venky's will be yesterday's problem once again.

Correct, furthermore if it goes TU I hope McGuire can sue us in an American court for damages or whatever, they tend to be quite high in their verdicts.

Also the American lad who is an Orlando fan is forward with his views and has a good handle on what's happened and timelines to help Duncan and Mum, if needed.

22 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Everything been brushed under the carpet today then?

JDT refusing to walk without a pay off, owners refusing to shell out to pay him off, our DOF mute as usual on the window in general and Mcguire in particular and as with 12 months ago no obvious accountability for anyone for another calamitous failure?

I keep seeing people alluding to JDT refusing to walk without a payoff. Where has that come from?

My understanding is that JDT offered to walk for nothing in the summer and that the Raos would allow him to, as long as his contract was paid up by any future employer.  IMO a shitty move considering the complete collapse of the project/vision he was originally sold. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Surely Gregg has no choice but to resign if the Dunc deal does not go through. You cannot come out in the press a year ago and say you take full responsibility and new measures are in place to ensure that doesn't happen again...and then a year later the same thing happens again. This year is even worse as we actually announced the signing.

Talk of of a pre-contract being done if it doesn't get ratified now. That seems a long way off though with the very real prospect that we may be in league 1 next season.

Has anyone considered that by taking the flak last season, GB effectively made his position untenable SHOULD the same thing ever happen again. I don’t think many people genuinely believe it was him who made the ‘error’, but in an effort to either protect the team OR feeling as the DOF it was ultimately his responsibility, he took the bullet. 

12 months on and through an extraordinary coincidence the exact same thing happens again, leaving GB with nowhere to go but resign. 

I’m not one for conspiracies but we know that there is clearly civil war ongoing between the old guard and the new…. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jimmy612 said:

Has anyone considered that by taking the flak last season, GB effectively made his position untenable SHOULD the same thing ever happen again. I don’t think many people genuinely believe it was him who made the ‘error’, but in an effort to either protect the team OR feeling as the DOF it was ultimately his responsibility, he took the bullet. 

12 months on and through an extraordinary coincidence the exact same thing happens again, leaving GB with nowhere to go but resign. 

I’m not one for conspiracies but we know that there is clearly civil war ongoing between the old guard and the new…. 

Yeap, there’s just no way, in his profession,  that he makes this kind of mistake in the space of a year.

30 minutes ago, G Somerset Rover said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think we need the McGuire decision to go against us given the momentum that is building behind our ownership. Of course I know how desperate we are for a striker, and I feel incredibly bad that our once proud club has let down yet another player. But you just know if this goes in our favour that outside of this forum, and fans with half a brain cell, that Venky's will be yesterday's problem once again.

I agree. As 'bad' as it may sound or unpopular it may be, I think we need the McGuire decision to go against us and for the Indian High Court to say no in March. It's for the greater good.

Recent events show just how much of a shambles the club still is. Despite this, there are still large parts of the fanbase waiting for this McGuire deal to go through so that they can spin this window as being a success.

"JDT wanted a striker. He's got one."

"What more does he want GB/Waggott/the recruitment team to do. He needs to quit moaning".

The Court approving the release of funds in March will likely set off a wave of sickening pro Venky propaganda, orchestrated by their hidden agent friends, with the naive beating the "look how loyal the owners are" and "the club is finished without their generosity" drums. More arguments, more confusion amongst the fans, whilst the enemy within takes the club down.

Nah. We can't be doing with any of this shit. Most of us have had it up to here (head point) with this utter bullshit. Both situations need to go against the owners/club, for the greater good.

• Like 8

A bit more meat to the bone. Not a timing issue per se, but not all documents submitted. Perhaps something different when dealing with MLS? But still not an excuse, as people are being paid to know and do these things. 

Screenshot_20240205-175455.png

2 minutes ago, alex l said:

A bit more meat to the bone. Not a timing issue per se, but not all documents submitted. Perhaps something different when dealing with MLS? But still not an excuse, as people are being paid to know and do these things. 

The fact Jackson is claiming there are two separate issues from last year to this is even worse for me. It displays inherent weaknesses in another aspect of transfers, something Broughton was at pains to stress would be reviewed and corrected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

My guess as to the answers to your questions

1) It was Gregg who appointed JDT and probably made promises to him when doing so. Nominally Gregg is the boss when it comes to recruitment and signings. So I expect in the early days JDT assumed, like most people would, that Gregg was in control of this and that when things went right or wrong he was responsible for it.

I think JDT has learned over the last 12 months that actually Gregg is another who has been played like a fiddle and made into a scapegoat when the problems lie much higher up the chain, and I suspect JDT even has some sympathy for Gregg, and is doing his best to turn the focus onto the real problem here, and the chuckle brothers who occupy the directors box.

2) I believe that Mowbray had a 'personal' link to the owners due to his trips to India and that as a result of this he essentially had his own power base and authority to do certain things, within reasonable limits. I suspect this is the reason why Mowbray had more freedom, he was effectively unsackable whilst under contract and he was able to go out into the market and recruit under his own steam (e.g. Hedges). The shift to the D of F structure has severed any link between India and the team management and instead left the shadow man as the only direct link to India. As such the only way anything happens is through him and when India approve it.

i think you've nailed it 👏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

I keep seeing people alluding to JDT refusing to walk without a payoff. Where has that come from?

My understanding is that JDT offered to walk for nothing in the summer and that the Raos would allow him to, as long as his contract was paid up by any future employer.  IMO a shitty move considering the complete collapse of the project/vision he was originally sold. 

Watching the radio Lancs interview, it seemed pretty clear to me JDT was hinting he would have walked for free in the summer but not now. Some of his quotes immediately after he said he offered to leave for free in the summer (I’ve moved my family across since, I’ve been working really hard, I’ve been thinking about rovers 24hours a day) were him telling the board why he’s not prepared to leave for free now.  All my opinion of course.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, alex l said:

Before everyone runs with this interpretation (as this board frequently does, demonstrated by the 'nice food' myth from last year's saga), this Tweet does NOT say that not all documents were submitted. It may be implying that, it may not, but it doesn't explicitly state that some documents were missing. It's still quite vague.

The club need to come out and comment on this, they're simply compounding the problem by staying silent. Especially since they already announced his signing.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The fact Jackson is claiming there are two separate issues from last year to this is even worse for me. It displays inherent weaknesses in another aspect of transfers, something Broughton was at pains to stress would be reviewed and corrected.

I disagree, I think it would be much worse if the same exact issues had occurred a year after being told they'd be sorted. At least if it's something different, it may have escaped the review. I would guess it's something to do with the added complications of the weird MLS system. I don't think the club has ever bought a player from the MLS before? Nelsen was a free agent.

I'm not excusing it btw, we have followed this player for a long time and all the necessary homework about how to deal with that league should have been done. Just saying I don't think it's worse that it's a different problem to last year.

Just now, Ossydave said:

Did the club update us when all the Obrien fuck ups were going on and the subsequent appeals etc? Genuinely can't remember now. Or was it just updates from Rich Sharpe?

If I recall, the club said they would appeal shortly after deadline day. And that was it until O'Brien was finally and fully rejected in March, by which time I don't think anybody really cared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lraC said:

One other important factor here too, Steve and Tony are pals.

This is a point I’ve long wondered about. It benefits Waggot for the new set up to fail, if it was successful he could be in trouble if others became in favour. I doubt he wanted his mate Mowbray to go. I’m not saying he is actively working against Gregg and JDT but also wouldn’t surprise me if he wasn’t particularly helpful to them. JDT has made snipes at Waggott all year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G Somerset Rover said:

History has shown that the fans don't really matter to Venkys. It'll take more than an angry fanbase to get shut of them.

Hard to believe there are still Venkys sympathizers out there. Read one on FB saying no one was saying “Venkys Out” when the club was paying million for Szmodics and Hyam.  Went on to ask what position the club would be in if Venkys sold and then called the debt due. 

Bottom line is Venkys can’t sell the call the debt as no one would acquire with the current debt outstanding. Venkys would have to write off the debt or a portion of it as uncollected in order for a buyer to step up. 

• Like 2

Pretty sure GB said no one had ever won the appeal before (following the O'Brien fiasco) so it would seem totally pointless appealing this when it inevitably gets rejected. Although the situations are slightly different, an appeal just pointlessly drags it out in some horrifically cringe inducing manner.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

Pretty sure GB said no one had ever won the appeal before (following the O'Brien fiasco) so it would seem totally pointless appealing this when it inevitably gets rejected. Although the situations are slightly different, an appeal just pointlessly drags it out in some horrifically cringe inducing manner.

It also seemed to drag out months and by the time us was settled there’s only be a handful of games left 

Just now, yankfan said:

Hard to believe there are still Venkys sympathizers out there. Read one on FB saying no one was saying “Venkys Out” when the club was paying million for Szmodics and Hyam.  Went on to ask what position the club would be in if Venkys sold and then called the debt due. 

Bottom line is Venkys can’t sell the call the debt as no one would acquire with the current debt outstanding. Venkys would have to write off the debt or a portion of it as uncollected in order for a buyer to step up. 

They aren't getting that money back, ever.

There is no realistic way they can claw it all back. 

Surely, the "best" solution is for them to draw a line under it, write it off and sell up, rather than continuing to stack more and more on top?

• Like 7