BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher contract discussions (or not,)

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Was he one Mowbray wanted?

Word from inside the club is that Waggott couldn't believe we didn't see a massive upturn in season ticket sales following his signing. 

Probably because whilst a lot welcomed him back the fee was way over the top as was the BBD fee at the time.

This man is so out of touch it's quite painful but then again this is a guy who recently thought it was a good idea to tell everyone we'd bought the best team coach in world football when in fact we hadn't.

Spin doctor.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

It's impossible to imagine triggering the clause. 

He's a squad player being paid like a star player. Regardless of whether or not we have to continue making cuts, we, at the very least, have to continue making sensible financial decisions. Getting Gallagher off of the books would make more sense than losing virtually any other player that we have.

It's a sad situation all round. We've wasted money that could have been better used and his career has failed to develop. He shows glimpses of the potential that he might have, but he's not impactful enough to justify anything above an average Championship salary (and even that might be generous). 

With Venkys only becoming less and less interested, the worry has to be though that it would lead to a further reduction in quality.

I would certainly agree that he is average. Yet in the last 2 and a half seasons, average is better than any of the alternatives because they come from either the academy, loans or for a pittance. Leonard has something about him but its a massive ask to keep flogging him so young. Vale was hopeless. Ennis is a waste of time, Telalovic is a million miles away and Hirst was a waste of time too.

Its probably wise to let him go, but it probably will not be a case of the potential to improve the squad. Purely more cost cutting.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Feels like Gallagher's injury proneness has gotten much worse in the last year and a half. He seemed to be available far more under Mowbray than he has been under JDT. I don't think I'd extend his contract as his wages don't justify what he brings to the table, and we have to accept the £5m is basically down the drain at this juncture, but I don't expect we'll replace him with better due to the budget cuts. 

• Like 1

Gallagher will be on about £1m per year. We can't afford to keep him given the limited return. If the finances were different I'd be happy for him to stay since he does offer some value on the pitch, even if he can be frustrating. 

It's a big if, but if we can reinvest the freed up wages elsewhere then it's a no brainer. 

I think the appearance to goals stat is a little flawed as most of those appearances were in the right wing and he is never a right winger. In fact, he even had one of those appearances at right back under Mogga!!

If he could stay fit, I still think with a run of games and some confidence he could chip in with the goals we need from elsewhere. 

Still not of the level we need and wouldn't renew his contract but still think he has something to offer.

It was about 10 minutes at right back. There has always been an assumption that playing him more central would lead to more goals, and the stats may deceive me, but he played central last season and his goal output didnt seem to improve noticeably. Hes never been a natural goalscorer, and sometimes maybe playing on the inside of a smaller full back gave him an advantage.

He is what he is. Injury prone. And a bog standard Championship striker, a powerful runner, a hard worker, a physical handful albeit not one that makes full use of his attributes, and a 1 in 4 ish goalscorer. A genuinely ambitious club would certainly ditch him. For us, compared to novices and write offs, he is still our best striker somehow. Hard to justify keeping on the big wages, but those resources saved will not be reinvested.

• Like 7

He'll be walking for free in the summer, there isn't much of an argument for extending his contract. His high wages and lack of game time doesn't work for us when finances are so tight.

JDT won't be happy though, as he's our only experienced striker and had he been fit, I think JDT would have him in the team more often than not. 

Not sure he'll get replaced either, Leonard will have another season under his belt, Vale (I know, I know) will be back after a season on loan and we've got Telalovic and Ennis (if ever available). That's a poor crop of strikers in anyone's book but it's 4 players for 1 position. The club wants to increase their value, they won't bring in an experienced player to block their pathway.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, philipl said:

JDT's Rovers preview indicating Gally is a long way from returning.

I read it at first as as a few weeks (as in some time in December) that Gallagher is likely to be fit

Reading the quote again, it could be taken either way, JDT maybe being non committal about things, maybe (in hope rather than expectation) to force us into a (probably loan) signing of a centre forward who can maybe be the difference for us for the rest of the season and hopeful play off shot 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/december/08/trio-back-available-for-whites-showdown/

“Sam Gallagher will need more weeks, Tyrhys Dolan just got injured and we’re still losing a lot of players with a lot of quality.

“Sam wants to help the team and we’d like to see him back. I hope it won’t take too long. He’s working hard to get it sorted, but these things take time," he added.