BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher contract discussions (or not,)

Considering the fact that Gregg Broughton has been very active since his arrival in tying important players down to longer contracts, does anyone else find it revealing that Sam Gallaghers contract is up in the Summer (albeit with a 12 month club option), and that nothing has been heard about talks being ongoing ?

Think it only spells one thing tbh, Rovers will be looking to move him on whilst they can get a reasonable fee for him,and considering the season he's having at the moment it's hard to blame them 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think we will get a fee. But with all the budget cuts and him being almost certainly the highest earner, he will be off and replaced internally. 

Can't see Rovers letting him go for free even if it is to get him off the wage bill. Should be fit just in time for the January window and could be worth a gamble for someone. 

Anyone watched the Wimbledon cup match tonight? Notice Al Hamidi scored a couple

4 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Can't see Rovers letting him go for free even if it is to get him off the wage bill. Should be fit just in time for the January window and could be worth a gamble for someone. 

Anyone watched the Wimbledon cup match tonight? Notice Al Hamidi scored a couple

Al Hamidis goals were a case of hit the target as hard as you can. Not a bad philosophy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

I gave up after the first goal because of the assist by Pep Tippy Tappy playing for a level 5(?) team.

Also I fell asleep, it was near 3am by then

It's a real dilemma that is emerging for them. I understand he is the top paid player and invoking the extra year will give him another increase. By not offering the extra year he will potentially walk for nothing and whilst some might not agree he does have some value. His injury just compounds all this. If he is to be sold it really has to be in January but who will pay money for him when there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel regarding his injury.

The decision needs to be made soon.

The more he is out the less fee we will get. At the moment id be surprised if anyone paid anything, but if he has a run of games and a few goals second half of the season we might get something.

Like replacing Dack with Szmodics,  Lenihan with Hyam or Nyambe with Brittain if we're smart we can improve on him for modest investment. I think we will signing someone in January whether he goes or not. Really all about Gregg the egg being fourth time lucky with strikers after Hirst, Ennis and Telelovic.

Anyone who knows the FFP maths have an idea if we can spend this window if the Raya money comes in? Assuming Venkys let us use it.

59 minutes ago, 47er said:

Really bad signing that one from Mowbray. Paid way too much for him and he's never fit for long.

I suspect he'll walk for nothing as is our usual practice.

I couldn’t believe it when we re-signed him. Especially when we paid big bucks. He was no better than ok in his first spell here, did very little at Big Club, did nothing back at Southampton.

A Rolls Royce body with a lawn mower engine.

• Like 3

There is no real logic now in offering the extension as we'll not get a fee for him anyway unless of course he comes back and finishes the season strongly.

Got to balance out what sort of fee we'd get if someone was interested compared to what a contract extension will cost and the cost plus risk basis.

I think the last chance of a good move for him and us left the building in Sunderland last night.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Really bad signing that one from Mowbray. Paid way too much for him and he's never fit for long.

I suspect he'll walk for nothing as is our usual practice.

Was he one Mowbray wanted?

Word from inside the club is that Waggott couldn't believe we didn't see a massive upturn in season ticket sales following his signing. 

I think the club will release him in the summer and get his wages off the books.

People are wondering if we can get a fee for Gallagher?

He’s scored 34 times in 167 appearances in four years. He’s always injured and hasn’t hit double figures in goals since signing permanently in 19/20.

Who’s realistically going to pay a fee for him?

• Like 5

It's impossible to imagine triggering the clause. 

He's a squad player being paid like a star player. Regardless of whether or not we have to continue making cuts, we, at the very least, have to continue making sensible financial decisions. Getting Gallagher off of the books would make more sense than losing virtually any other player that we have.

It's a sad situation all round. We've wasted money that could have been better used and his career has failed to develop. He shows glimpses of the potential that he might have, but he's not impactful enough to justify anything above an average Championship salary (and even that might be generous). 

• Like 5

Even for free, who is going to pay his wages ? Gallys best option would be to negotiate the extension by taking a pay cut at the Rovers. If he thinks he can get a better deal at another club, let him go.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

Let him run his contract down so him and his agent can sniff out any interest. If there is it could be worth triggered the extension to get a few hundred grand for him.

If they dont think anyone will pay money for him then don't bother with the renewal as he can't justify the wage he's getting.

Only issue is we likely won't have the money to replace him. In theory we have 3 strikers at the club next season and some would argue thats enough: Leonard (who I think will become a good striker), Ennis (injury prone seems an understatement), Telalovic (unproven at this level also an understatement). I think he needs to be replaced.

Either way he shouldn't be here next season.