BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (a) - 26/12/23

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Would you go back to 2 wingers who can beat a man and bang in a cross over the boring pass-pass modern game? I would.

Nothing better than watching two good wingers delivering crosses into the box for a centre-forward to finish.  Shearer and Sutton didn't do too badly from the service off Ripley and Wilcox. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Most of the time I find it boring. Football should be about goal mouth incident, , shots at goal, attacking play etc. it should be getting you out of your seat. If it’s not doing that it’s just tedious.

Spot on.

I think in the main it's dull to watch. If we're lucky, we might get 20 minutes of decent, progressive, attacking football a match.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roverblue said:

I’ve yet to see you say a bad word about him for a start.

He’s naive, he has a win or bust mentality, he needs to be cannier with when to rest players, he needs to mix it up especially later in games, he’s not been able to stop a malaise of weakness in the team going back years that means we don’t get back into games once we concede - how about that?

Now you tell me what you like about him.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Please tell me that's a joke. 

Would be a huge step backwards 

No.

Came from the singing section. Mixed up with songs like 'Were f***ing s***' and the like, cheering madly when we got a corner etc.

They were booing our players when they came over to the supporters at the end. I couldn't help myself and had a go at them for it. 😜

18 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Chaddy, how has football moved on from what Tyrone was describing?  I suspect I'm of a similar generation to Tyrone and the football that Jack Marshall produced in the early sixties was all about movement, skill and passing.  There isn't one player in the present team who would have got anywhere near the first team in the early 60s.  At present we have nothing that comes close to matching a forward line of Fergie, McEvoy, Pickering, Dougie, Harrison, for skill, flair and goalscoring thrills.   

sadly I wasn't around in the 60's but Football now is about playing it out from the back, movement, pressing high, ball to feet. The Pep and Klopp affect. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Then private message him instead of using the public forum to ask him

Try thinking for yourself instead of repeating what Gavin has said👍

Oh, and If I quote someone and ask them a question I'm probably only interested in their opinion. If I want your opinion I'll quote you....or DM you. Hope that's clear enough for you. 

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

Try thinking for yourself instead of repeating what Gavin has said👍

Oh, and If I quote someone and ask them a question I'm probably only interested in their opinion. If I want your opinion I'll quote you....or DM you. Hope that's clear enough for you. 

If I see a point I want to reply to I will thanks. Hope that's clear enough for you 😉

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s naive, he has a win or bust mentality, he needs to be cannier with when to rest players, he needs to mix it up especially later in games, he’s not been able to stop a malaise of weakness in the team going back years that means we don’t get back into games once we concede - how about that?

I like the way at he’s brought on youth, the positive mentality he brings when interviewed (especially compared with the last guy), the players like him and in periods when we have clicked scored some terrific goals. Also took as on some good cup runs last season which had been lacking for a long time.

• Like 1

I admired the Spanish team of a dozens years ago that started all this “ keep ball “ style football off. The ball control, ability to find space etc was amazing at times. But ultimately I found it pretty sterile. 

I called it “ Kissing Your Sister “ football.  Pleasant but not very exciting.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 minutes ago, roverblue said:

I like the way at he’s brought on youth, the positive mentality he brings when interviewed (especially compared with the last guy), the players like him and in periods when we have clicked scored some terrific goals. Also took as on some good cup runs last season which had been lacking for a long time.

He comes across as a likeable guy and compared with his immediate predecessor he comes across as a breath of fresh air. Having said that BRFC is in the entertainment business and we need entertainment on the pitch.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Everything in me wants to pan the manager, I honestly don't know what he can do differently with the players available. We can't really change much and a well drilled team will know just how to play against us. Having absolutely no back up means teams can quite easily set up a team to counter our obvious line up.

What JDT needs to do is toughen up the mentality of the group, not sure if that's possible? We cannot continually go one down and have no plan to counter it. 

One thing that JDT has to carry though is we have fallen behind to teams of the calibre of Sheff Wed and Huddersfield and nobody is shocked we capitulated, he must carry some of that blame.

23 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

It's always been the same Gav.  Spurs great team of the early 60's played a possession based game.  As for the speed of the game, it seems to me that in many ways it's played at walking pace with sudden bursts of speed injected at key moments.

I've loved watching the way JDT is trying to get our players to play but ultimately, football is about winning and possession on its own will not achieve that.  The basics of the game never change.  The ability to defend well and keep a clean sheet whilst creating and taking chances at the other end are constant fundamentals which this season we are struggling to get to grips with.

All that is true of course, but you asked how football had moved on and the current style which is to maintain possession at all costs is the answer. I have never seen 99% of teams looking to maintain possession of the ball in all my time watching football.

The Spain side a few years ago started this and are probably the best international side of all time

Edit: (Just seen that Tyrone names them too, phenomenal side) 

Edited by Gav

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I admired the Spanish team of a dozens years ago that started all this “ keep ball “ style football off. The ball control, ability to find space etc was amazing at times. But ultimately I found it pretty sterile. 

I called it “ Kissing Your Sister “ football.  Pleasant but not very exciting.

There was nothing more dull than Guardiola's Barcelona. many times I'd be watching them in the Champions League and switch over to something more interesting, such as a repeat of Emmerdale or Antiques Roadshow

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He comes across as a likeable guy and compared with his immediate predecessor he comes across as a breath of fresh air. Having said that BRFC is in the entertainment business and we need entertainment on the pitch.

I'd say we're in the business of winning. Entertainment is on the TV

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

All that is true of course, but you asked how football had moved on and the current style which is to maintain possession at all costs is the answer. I have never seen 99% of teams looking to maintain possession of the ball in all my time watching football.

You aren't seeing it now either in the Championship.

Rovers, as far as Championship teams go,  are fairly unique in the way they play.

Watched PNE yesterday. That match could have been from any decade, there was nothing sophisticated about the way they played.  Leeds weren't much different. Ipswich remind me of teams I've watched many times over the last 40 years - a team that plays attacking football with at least one good winger who gets crosses in.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

There was nothing more dull than Guardiola's Barcelona. many times I'd be watching them in the Champions League and switch over to something more interesting, such as a repeat of Emmerdale or Antiques Roadshow

I'd say we're in the business of winning. Entertainment is on the TV

The two aren’t mutually exclusive Jim. You can win and play entertaining football.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Screenshot2023-12-2710_04_53.thumb.png.cb1c476153af4a93d1d5467e50553dbf.png

If there’s one thing JDT doesn’t need to worry about it’s losing his job, it’s his until he walks or his contract happens to run out and the owners don’t get round to bothering with another one.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Going back years, how many of yesterday's players were playing for Rovers? 

He's been here for too long for that argument to stack up. 

• Moderation Lead

I’m not for a minute calling for JDT’s head.

He’s up against it being our manager with Venky’s as his bosses, a shit budget, which has been further reduced with all this Indian government nonsense that’s reared its head lately.

But- players not trying yesterday, continuing to pick the goalkeeper that continues to make mistakes that cost us goals and not being pragmatic, when his style of play clearly isn’t working is all on him, I’m afraid.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

Going back years, how many of yesterday's players were playing for Rovers? 

He's been here for too long for that argument to stack up. 

Ok, JDT can’t get his sides back in games, I’ll leave the last fella out of it.

It’s obviously a negative for this manager regardless.

(but it is a symptom of something amiss at this club when it comes to mentality as its been going on for years).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’m not for a minute calling for JDT’s head.

He’s up against it being our manager with Venky’s as his bosses, a shit budget, which has been further reduced with all this Indian government nonsense that’s reared its head lately.

But- players not trying yesterday, continuing to pick the goalkeeper that continues to make mistakes that cost us goals and not being pragmatic, when his style of play clearly isn’t working is all on him, I’m afraid.

Who does he pick instead? Hilton? Who’s looked ropey playing L2 sides in the cup.

It’s a mess.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Who does he pick instead? Hilton? Who’s looked ropey playing L2 sides in the cup.

It’s a mess.

It’s the message it sends though- keep messing up without consequences, doesn’t encourage him to stop messing up really….

• Like 1